• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Rocker Pedestal Banjo Bolt Thread Size

Jkirchner

Freshman Member
Bronze
Country flag
Is the thread pitch for the Healey 3000 1/8-28 BSP and if so, do you know what size tap the Heli coil is?

I found a place that has the repair kit for $100 (if this is the correct size thread), and they also have the repair coils but they don't say the thread and pitch of the tap.

I don't want to just buy another pedestal I want to make a more permanent repair.

BobHaskell

Jedi Warrior
Silver
Country flag
is the thread pitch for the Healey 3000 1/8-28 BSP and if so do you know what size tap the Heli coil is I found a place that has the repair kit for $100 (if this is the correct size thread), the also have the repair coils but they dont say the thread and pitch of the tap. I dont want to just buy another pedestal I want to make a more permanent repair.
Yes, the thread is 1/8 BSP. The kit will come with the drill and tap. Uni-Thread Ltd. in the UK list the kit, tap, drill and inserts on their website. Different length inserts are shown. 1D(iameter) is the closest to what you need, but might still need to be trimmed.

Jerry

Darth Vader
Gold
Country flag
Thanks for the info. Last time I had a stripped one, I ordered a new pedestal. I even have a tap 1/8BSP

OP
Jkirchner

Jkirchner

Freshman Member
Bronze
Country flag
Yes, the thread is 1/8 BSP. The kit will come with the drill and tap. Uni-Thread Ltd. in the UK list the kit, tap, drill and inserts on their website. Different length inserts are shown. 1D(iameter) is the closest to what you need, but might still need to be trimmed.
I have taps and drills I found a company that had the coils for $10 I would prefer not to buy a kit for something I will on use once in a lifetime this is why I was asking what the tap size is for the coil.

BobHaskell

Jedi Warrior
Silver
Country flag
I have taps and drills I found a company that had the coils for $10 I would prefer not to buy a kit for something I will on use once in a lifetime this is why I was asking what the tap size is for the coil.
I don't know as I don't have a 1/8" BSP kit, but I'd be surprised if the required tap was a standard size. The tap for the 3/8"-19 BSP insert is 0.727" diameter. Not a standard SAE or metric thread diameter.

BobHaskell

Jedi Warrior
Silver
Country flag
I don't know as I don't have a 1/8" BSP kit, but I'd be surprised if the required tap was a standard size. The tap for the 3/8"-19 BSP insert is 0.727" diameter. Not a standard SAE or metric thread diameter.
The tap for 1/8" BSP insert has an outside diameter of 0.428". Not a standard size.

Country flag
I have the Heli-Coil repair kit for the rocker pedestal, and as you can imagine, I still have most of the inserts left (I think I have only used two so far). If you, or anyone here, wanted to send me their pedestal, I'll do the repair for the cost of shipping.

IMG_1292-me.jpg

IMG_1296-me.jpg

IMG_1299-me.jpg

IMG_1301-me.jpg

Country flag
ALWAYS attach the fitting/pipe into the pedestal first...

IMG_0965-me.jpg

... THEN attach it to the head!

IMG_0966-me.jpg

Last but not least, don't over tighten it ;)

IMG_0967-me.jpg

Country flag
Hi Randy,

I'm gonna go on a tangent here and ask for your take on 'heli-' coil--and all the equivalents on the market--vs. Timesert. The Timesert people, of course, claim superiority, and it looks like they have an argument but, certainly, helicoils are more than adequate for most applications (like this one).

Country flag
Hi Bob,
For the sake of discussion, we'll call Heli-Coils & Recoils the same thing, so it's them versus Time-Serts. Those being the only types I have at least some exposure to (I know there are wood-workers types, but that's completely foreign to me).

Now I've never used a Time-Sert, and it wasn't until recently that I saw a picture of one of their kits, showing the included counterbore. It makes sense, but I'd previously envisioned it requiring a milling machine setup; but it still seems like a lot of extra work.

I've got a pretty good assortment of Heli-Coils, from 6-32 through 3/8, both fine and coarse pitch, including a LH set for 3/8-16, plus M6 to M14, along with the 1/8-28 BSP to suit the rocker-arm oil-feed (a size that I did not see on the Time-Sert website...).
The point I want to make is, while sometimes a Heli-Coil repair seems like a gamble__that tiny 6-32 to save a Tillotson carburetor comes to mind__I have never had an application that did not work. A couple of times, I suppose I screwed up the installation and had to pull out the insert by unwinding it, those things can be really long when you straighten one out btw, but I've never had a repaired thread fail once it was put back in service. I'm real happy with that.

The next time I need to repair a thread in an aluminum head (preferably a McCulloch and not a BMW) I may give the Time-Sert a try, but their kits, no doubt due to the extra tool/step required, are noticeably more expensive than the Heli-Coil/Recoil brands.

Country flag
Thanks, Randy, my take too. Helicoils are perfectly adequate most of the time, but I think Timesert might be a bit stronger, and don't have the 'rough edge' of a Helicoil end. I usually, unless I forget, put red threadlocker on the install,