• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A Question on torquing nut on steering box rocker shaft

TuffTR250

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
When torquing the large nut on the steering box rocker shaft (Macy's says 80 lbs) is it necessary, or possible, to somehow hold the rocker shaft so pressure is not put on the arm of the rocker shaft, rocker peg, and worm gear? Thanks!
Bob

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
I hold the arm in a table vice while tightening. Of course the box has to be out of the car for that.

sp53

Yoda
Country flag
I think 80+ should be enough and then bend over the locking tab on the nut. There should be wiggle room before the pin contacts the worm. The final adjustment is made with the nut on the cover that pushes down on the arm to make the final contact. There is also a high point in the very center when you make the final adjustment; you should feel that rub with the tires up and moving the steering wheel left and right

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Another approach is to lift the arm so the peg is out of the worm groove, and let it rest against the side of the box.

My feeling is that tight enough to feel from that great big steering wheel is too tight; I like to feel for the tight spot with just my fingers on the splines and the box disconnected from the rest of the steering. Might get a tiny bit more play that way, but also less drag and maybe even less wear.

Note that if the worm is substantially worn, the tight spot may be off to the side a bit, or even two tight spots. So check throughout the range of motion.

OP
T

TuffTR250

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
My steering box is still out of the car, but fully assembled. Today I adjusted the screw on the top of the steering box for when the Rocker shaft was in the middle, it took 1/4 turn of the screw to tighten the shaft to where the worm could not be turned by hand even with quite some hand force. When I re-backed if off the 1/4 turn the worm shaft turned easily by hand. With the screw backed off from full down by 1/4 turn, I could not feel any movement of the rotator shaft when I tried movement of the drop arm. When I moved the rotator shaft lever off center about half way, I could then feel some slight wiggle movement of the rotator shaft peg against the worm gear. Does that sound about right for the adjustment of the adjusting screw? Thanks!
Bob

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
That's pretty close.

IMO, you be able to just feel the bind in the center, while turning the shaft with your fingers; but still be able to turn through the tight spot without too much effort.

The problem is that even .004" of vertical movement, which is too small to feel with your hands (at least for me), will still result in some play on the steering. You want that clearance going to exactly zero, or even a very slight preload.

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
+1. Adjust the bolt so you can feel the center, yet still able to turn the shaft without the steering wheel. It can be on the tight side while just turning the bare shaft. Once you ad the wheel, it will be imperceptible.

The reason you feel play off center is that the steering is designed with a natural desire to return to center, so even though there is play, the peg will stay against the worm on one side. At center there is no force to keep the steering at center, so all play must be removed or the car will wander.

OP
T

TuffTR250

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Thanks for the responses!! I will try tightening the top cover adjustment screw just a bit more and see how that works.
Bob