• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Memories from my first Bugeye rescue

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
It's an interesting coincidence that my first Bugeye (the Tunebug, now happily living in Maine) came from near San Diego, the same place my newly acquired one is located -- maybe 30 miles apart. Got me thinking about the first time I did the dash down there -- same borrowed truck (a generous father-in-law), different trailer this time.

So for your viewing pleasure, I take you back to March of 2006, off to collect my first Bugeye.

l1.jpg

l2.jpg

l4.jpg

l6.jpg

l7.jpg

l9.jpg

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Big grins all around! it sure was following close though don't you think?

OP
drooartz

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Big grins all around! it sure was following close though don't you think?

Well, it's a little car on a big highway, needs to stay close to friends. :smile:

AN5Sprite

Jedi Knight
Man that's a good looking car! Wish I had one like it. Oh wait...I do!

I've got the little guy dialed in pretty well now. Freshn'd up the rear suspension last month among a few other things. More things planned but for now I've been driving as much as possible. The next 10 weeks is the prime motoring season here.

I started trying to find info on Arnold P Frazier. (the man who kept this car for most of it's life) There's an obituary for him in the San Diego Union-Tribune but I haven't been able read it without paying for some subscription service or another. Eventually I'll find out more and add it to the pile of records that chronicle the life of this Bugeye.

I love this stuff. All of it. Congrats again Drew. New Bugeye anticipation is one of the best highs there is. Enjoy it!

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
Drew:

First: Congrats on re-joining the Spridget gang. My first Sprite was a Bugeye and it hooked me in a way that I doubt any car will ever connect with me again (Unless Mommy wins the lottery and buys me a new Caterham).

Your title made me think of my first Sprite (and only Bugeye). I had it (ahem....) a bit before 2006. :friendly_wink: Here it is.

First shot is with my band-mates at McGuire Air Force Base gymkhnana. The other three shots are at New Egypt Speeday gymkhana (the Speedway is still there). The nose-to-nose shot of two Bugeyes is mine plus one owned by an old girlfriend. Mine always had a 948 and had very low oil pressure. But it was always fun and inspired me to buy a two-year old '67 which I eventually took racing. My Bugeye also had a fair amount of rust around the leaf-spring mounts. Sadly, these cars weren't worth much back then (I bought it for around $80). I junked it but gave away the nose
bugeye1.jpg
2-bugeyes.jpg
bugeye-new-egypt.jpg
nial-bugeye.jpg

OP
drooartz

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
I've got the little guy dialed in pretty well now. Freshn'd up the rear suspension last month among a few other things. More things planned but for now I've been driving as much as possible. The next 10 weeks is the prime motoring season here.

I started trying to find info on Arnold P Frazier. (the man who kept this car for most of it's life) There's an obituary for him in the San Diego Union-Tribune but I haven't been able read it without paying for some subscription service or another. Eventually I'll find out more and add it to the pile of records that chronicle the life of this Bugeye.

Thanks, Steve. I'm really excited, though it won't feel completely real until it's loaded on the trailer and I can point the truck for home. My wife's comment last night -- "I figured we'd have another Bugeye some day, just didn't think it'd be this soon." I've decided that it's my (only slightly delayed) 40th birthday present to myself.

Really good to hear the Tunebug is getting dialed in and on the road. And I love the history of these cars too -- I had wondered about Mr. Frazier myself. All those years the car was kept registered, but was basically stored away. Saved it for us to enjoy, I guess. Hope he enjoyed it too.

I've got the full ownership history of my MGB, something I think is kinda cool. I'm going to gather as much info on my new Bugeye as I can. Been in the current family since 1980, owner's grandfather bought it in the UK and it was his driver there and in Ireland for a while. A well traveled little car. Will try and get some names and dates if I can. Cool stuff.

First: Congrats on re-joining the Spridget gang. My first Sprite was a Bugeye and it hooked me in a way that I doubt any car will ever connect with me again (Unless Mommy wins the lottery and buys me a new Caterham).

Your title made me think of my first Sprite (and only Bugeye). I had it (ahem....) a bit before 2006. :friendly_wink:

Thanks, Nial. Great pics, you were quite the groovy lad back then. :grin:

There really is something about Bugeyes that just grabs me like no other car. When I started hunting for a fun, classic car it was a Bugeye I saw at a local show that really drew me in. When I sold the Tunebug I figured I'd gotten it out of my system -- guess not.

Country flag
The UK system has a more unified records system. You may be able to get quite a bit of information there.

markberry

Jedi Trainee
Drew:

Your title made me think of my first Sprite (and only Bugeye). I had it (ahem....) a bit before 2006. :friendly_wink: Here it is.

First shot is with my band-mates at McGuire Air Force Base gymkhnana. The other three shots are at New Egypt Speeday gymkhana (the Speedway is still there). The nose-to-nose shot of two Bugeyes is mine plus one owned by an old girlfriend. Mine always had a 948 and had very low oil pressure. But it was always fun and inspired me to buy a two-year old '67 which I eventually took racing. My Bugeye also had a fair amount of rust around the leaf-spring mounts. Sadly, these cars weren't worth much back then (I bought it for around $80). I junked it but gave away the nose
bugeye1.jpg
2-bugeyes.jpg
bugeye-new-egypt.jpg
nial-bugeye.jpg

These pictures could have been taken yesterday

OP
drooartz

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
The UK system has a more unified records system. You may be able to get quite a bit of information there.

That's where the info on the MGB came from -- DVLA records from all the previous owners. Glad to have it, as you can't access those records if you're not the currently registered UK owner. I asked them if I could get the data now, and they replied that you have to be living in the UK for access.

I will try and see if there's anyway I can get the old UK registration number for the Bugeye. That would at least get me a first-registered date.

Gray_Cat

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Can't wait for pics and write up on the "new" Bugeye Drew! That is quite the coincidence both little cars are coming from the same area, at least the drive is easy for you.

OP
drooartz

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Great pics, Steve. Tough guy look with itty bitty cute little car. :grin:

Wish I wasn't all the way across the country, would love to swing by and talk music and cars.