• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Memories [Sam Hanks]

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Nmarhof.jpg

A lot of you younger fellows probably never heard of Sam Hanks. He was one of my favorite race drivers when I was growing up. I loved midget cars and Sam was one of the best midget drivers around. He died in 1994, leaving a racing history admired by all. He was a gentleman and a really cool guy. He started driving midgets in the mid 30s and went on to win Indy in 1957. Here's a little bit of info about him. Thanks for looking. PJ

His self built Offy powered midget:
01.jpg

02.jpg

05.jpg

Hanks_Sam_Car.jpg

His 1957 Indy winning car #9
samhanks500winningcar57.jpg

<span style="font-size: 12pt">
Sam Hanks,</span>
https://www.worthyofhonor.com/Inductees/Sam_Hanks.htm

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
Paul:

I actually remember Sam Hanks....but did not know that much about him. Thanks.

I wonder if you have seen the~EMMR Museum In York PA~. We just drove past it last weekend (for about the 20th time), but as usual, didn't have time to stop.

One of these days.....

I was thinking that if you have some old collectible midget-racer stuff, you might consider donating it to this place (you might get a tax write off........maybe worth looking into).

photo5.jpg

OP
PAUL161

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Nial, thanks for the museum information. If I get around York, I'll definitely stop in. When Sam won the Indy 500 in 57, a lot of people admired him for his determination, as it took him 12 years, which I think is a record in it's own rite, before winning a first at Indy. Surprising to many people, he retired from driving in competition practically the following day. He was very active and dedicated in other aspects of racing until his death in 94. PJ