• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Kingpin Bushes

X

xsteamer

Well guys I have cut and peeled out the old (worn) brass bushes from the lower pins. Problem now is how to install the new bushes. Managed to find a huge vice and started pressing them in with the aid of silicone lubricant. Got one halfway in. Managed to get the other bush in 1/3 of the way so far and now am taking a breather. An after thought was to heat up the lower end of the pin but I now have bushes stuck in them and don't want to make them maleable from heating. What does the grub screw above the lower grease fitting do? Can I remove the lower trunion without needing specialized tooling to replace? Are there any tricks to get the bushes in? Can anyone help me with my dilemma?

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Did you clean out & hone before you tried inseerting them? You might try tightening down a bolt with large washers, lots of soap & water (or lithium grease) pulling them into place

No, don't use heat on the new bushes

Are they standard old rubber ones?

Ed Kaler

Jedi Warrior
[ QUOTE ]
Can anyone help me with my dilemma?

[/ QUOTE ]

Could you provide a picture of what you are attempting?? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif
Ed

OP
X

xsteamer

Tony, I did clean them but I didn't hone them. My last resort is to use the bolt and washer trick now that one is in far enough that my large bolt will fit. I'm not sure what you mean by " Are they standard old rubber ones? " I have attached a picture so that you can see my progress and also the infamous grub screw!!!!

OP
X

xsteamer

Tony, I did clean them but I didn't hone them. My last resort is to use the bolt and washer trick now that one is in far enough that my large bolt will fit. I'm not sure what you mean by " Are they standard old rubber ones? " I have attached a picture so that you can see my progress and also the infamous grub screw!!!!

Attachments

• 207524-lowerkingpinbushes.jpg
    207524-lowerkingpinbushes.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 75

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
I'm sorry - I misunderstood where you were working...guess the photo would've been a little help....can you push them back out?

Oh, that zert greases what you're trying to install...before I install them, I cut a small groove all way around their diameter so grease can flow more easily around them.

Ed Kaler

Jedi Warrior
xsteamer!!

STOP where you are!! Got a real name??? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

I have a set here that I will take some pics of tonite and/or in AM and get back to you here. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif
Ed

OP
X

xsteamer

Tony, I doubt very much if I can get them back out without damaging them. It's the grub screw to the left of the grease zert (in the kingpin on the left) that I am questioning and the bushes come with criss crossed lines throughout to allow the grease to flow. Ed my name is Rick.

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
I'm wondering = That little grub screw goes, I think, into the bushing to hold it in place....pull it out & see if you can see into the area where the bushing goes...conversely, feel inside the one that doesn't have a bushing & see if you feel the grub screw
'Course, I may be way off base on this one!

PaulP

I'm certian the 'grub screw' is just a machining plug. I have a new kingpin in front of me. You can look up the zerk hole and see the backside of the plug and the horizontal passage to the bushing bore.

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
I looked at a cross section drawing of the kingpin in Bentley & it showed the grub screw going through to the bushing....though I don't remember ever pulling one to replace bushings....

coulb be what's stopping it from going in any farther.

OP
X

xsteamer

I cleaned and felt inside the end of the kingpin and there were no protrusions. Anyhow I believe that I will take them to a local machine shop today as I read in Moss Catalogue that the bushes may have to be reamed. Thanks for all your help guys.