• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Kingpin rebush

mbrooks

Country flag
Whilst checking the shock mountings [yes they were all loose], I also did the test for worn kingpins for the first time. there was plenty of movement. The kingpin bushes are very worn. The manual says the new bushes can be drifted in, but they need reaming. Is this a job I could do? Where could I get the correct reamer?

Alternatively, if I need to entrust this to a machine shop, can anyone recommend someone in the Houston area? Or do I need to send them away?

Another question. The manual has instructions for removal of the whole suspension assembly. Would I need to do this to get the kingpin assembly out? Anyone's past experience would be very useful.

Last question - is there anything else on the front suspension that should routinely be changed out whilst it is in bits?

Message for Dave Russell - finished the half shaft oil seal job yesterday - took it for a run and no leak!! [well, not from that part anyway!!] Tks for your help as always.

Mike

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
MBrooks, I do not have a source for the reamer.This reamer is special in that it must be adjustible and be capable of reaming both bushes at the same time.If you can not locate a local facility to do the bushes I suggest you send them out to Healey surgeons for fitting.The king pins can be removed without removing the entire suspension, but reassembly is a bit more difficult.However, it is considered wise to do a complete rebuild when the wear is so sever;Upper trunion bushes,Lower "A" arm bushes as well as the kingpins themselves.You might even consider replacing the springs too.---FWIW---Keoke

Country flag
The bushes can be reamed with individual reamers provided that they are "piloted" through the bush at the opposite end (to maintain parallelism). I made up a couple of pilot bush fixtures to accomplish this (od of pilot bush = id of kingpin bush; id of pilot bush = od of reamer shank). Upper and lower bushes are different diameters, so two (2) reamers are required.

Unless you plan on doing more than one set, or keeping/maintaining your Healey a really long time (or can make the pilots yourself), it would probably be cheaper to pay for the work to be done.

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Yes Randy, I have made a set of tools also that will pull the bushes set them correctly and ream them to the correct size.However, I agree the cost would exceed the service provided by an out side vendor and simply did not mention that approach.--Keoke

OP
mbrooks

mbrooks

Country flag
Thanks for your help Randy and Keoke. I was afraid I would get the answer that I have to send the bits out. It is not just the cost I mind, it's that I like to keep the 100 on the road. Just can't bear to lay it up for a couple of weeks. Oh well.....

Rgds

Mike

GregW

Yoda
Platinum
Country flag
Hi Mike,
You might consider contacting the North Texas Healey Club. www.ntahc.org/ They probably know of someone in your area that can do the work. Just a thought.