• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

It's official, I'm back to just a Bugeye

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
The buyer for my MGB picked up the car tonight, so it's official -- I'm back to just one car and a Sprite guy again. I'm currently sitting out in my little barn/shop/shed with a glass of scotch, contemplating all the work to come. Boy, is there a lot of work to come. :grin:

I've got to put together a work plan over the next month or so. At the very least I need to start researching local body shops so I can get the bodywork issues addressed first. Overall she's a pretty sound little car but there are some things to be addressed, and this time around I think I want to get them done before I dive into the other areas. Need to plan to at least address the clutch as well. Engine has great oil pressure so I may leave that upgrade for later once the funds are replenished after bodywork and paint.

Here's my one-Sprite shop this evening, complete with contemplation area (you can just see the chair in the back right).

onecar.jpg

bugedd

Jedi Knight
Country flag
wish I had that much room to work on mine :smile:

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
Me as well but congrats Drew, you've returned from the "dark side" and vack to where you belong. On the other hand Mark Masquelier stopped by the other day with his Red '67? MGB to check out Bugsy II and it certainly looked great and unfortunately he didn't have time to give me a ride. Bill's coming to town next week and for a final thrash to get Mark's White BE finally out of the garage and on the road. I'm planning on stopping by next week to see the BE come back to life with a 1275, 5 speed and disk brakes. It's been off the road for a long time. Bugsy II will
also be white and red interior but he's going to have twin red stripes.

smaceng

Jedi Knight
Country flag
And I never thought you would come back to the other side? Can you fit in this one any better than the other BE? Scott in CA

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
It's been fun reading the ebb-and-flow of your car ownership tales. 
As you may know, my white MGB roadster will go on the block at some point too. And the Aeronca will probably go sooner (actually, I have an extra house I wouldn't mind selling too). :friendly_wink:
I would probably sell the street Midget too, but since my kids and sibling always borrow it, it's never really around anyway.

We only have so much time in life and if the toys get in the way, it's probably best to let others enjoy them. :smile-new:

A neighbor and friend of mine named Basil (not the one here) has a nice collection of cars that most of us would like. Including a racing Midget, racing MGB and racing MGA. He just told me he needs to "cull the herd" and the MGB will be going. MGBs are great cars on their own right, but they don't have quite "the edge" of an MGA or Spridget.

By the way, an old college friend just told me he's considering selling his Bugeye but he's not sure if he ready yet (he's had it 40 years). Naturally, I made him an offer. :highly_amused:

nomad

Yoda
Drew....winters on the way. Got heat in that garage???? If you do it look's like a great hangout!

Kurt.

OP
drooartz

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
The dedicated shop space is really nice -- at 12'x20' it's not huge, but it's only for the little car so there's plenty of space. Just need to keep to only one car.

And I never thought you would come back to the other side? Can you fit in this one any better than the other BE? Scott in CA

I didn't think I'd be back either, but when presented with a viable option just the way I wanted it (Gray_Cat here on BCF is to blame/thank) I had to take it. And no, I don't fit any better than in my last Bugeye -- I just decided I didn't care. :grin:

There's no question that the MGB is a more comfortable car and a better fit for what I do. I just never really connected to it like I have with the Bugeye. One of my first tasks with the new car, though, is to completely rebuild the seats to make them as good as possible.

It's been fun reading the ebb-and-flow of your car ownership tales. [...]

We only have so much time in life and if the toys get in the way, it's probably best to let others enjoy them. :smile-new:

It's been an interesting few years with my car ownership. Counting bikes, I'm up to 21 now (the list is here). My wife, over more years, is only on number 4. I'm pretty sure she doesn't really understand, but she's tolerant.

I was born too late to have experienced these cars in their golden years (I got my license in the late 1980s). Since I can't afford to keep them all together, I have to try them one at a time. Been fun to try lots of different things -- though now I'm really looking forward to my second time through on a Bugeye. Will be nice to be able to apply what I learned on the Tunebug to this car.

I say this a bunch, but there's no question that time is my scarcest resource. These little cars can own us as much as we own them, no question. I've no regrets and happy to have a Bugeye in the barn.

OP
drooartz

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Drew....winters on the way. Got heat in that garage???? If you do it look's like a great hangout!

No heat or insulation out there now, though it's in the plan for the future. Need to finalize the wiring and finish the ceiling before I close up the walls, and I want to do some research on heating options. The long-range plan is to make it year-round useable so I can do the maintenance work out there during our long, cold winters.

Gray_Cat

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
"I didn't think I'd be back either, but when presented with a viable option just the way I wanted it (Gray_Cat here on BCF is to blame/thank) I had to take it. And no, I don't fit any better than in my last Bugeye -- I just decided I didn't care." :grin:
Always happy to help! :cool::encouragement:

Last edited:

sqbsprite

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
I sold my MGB GT just a few weeks ago and stayed an "only Sprite" owner for just one week. I bought a TR6. I know that's like having a Ford and a Chevy under the same roof, but so far I'm wondering why I did not buy one of these years ago. It's fun learning about a different car. I know my Sprite so well there's not much mystery to it any more. Now I can do some work on either and still enjoy having a convertible to drive when I feel like it.

Morris

Yoda
Get you a rubber bumper Midget and it's like having a Ford and a Chevy under the same hood.

Gundy

Luke Skywalker
"just" a Bugeye! I think not.
Nice space for a Frog. No temptation to add stable mate.
:smile:
welcome "back" to where your heart never left.

OP
drooartz

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Get you a rubber bumper Midget and it's like having a Ford and a Chevy under the same hood.

Sort like a '32 Ford with a Chevy 350, but slower. :grin:

"just" a Bugeye! I think not.
Nice space for a Frog. No temptation to add stable mate.
:smile:
welcome "back" to where your heart never left.

Thanks, it's good to be back. Maybe I should have said "only" a Bugeye. :smile:

When I built the shop, I intentionally made it smaller to make owning more than one old car more difficult -- original plans were for twice the size (and twice the price). Plenty of space for the Bugeye out there.

SaxMan

Darth Vader
Country flag
Well, if you're only going to have one, a Bugeye is a good one to have! (said the proud Square Sprite owner).

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag

Billm

Yoda
Country flag
In response to Jim Gruber- Marc and I got his Bugeye "finished" and running in time for his youngest daughter's Homecoming last night and some day he may be able to actually finish it! (wipers, water temp gauge, etc). It looks REALLY good, WAY better than any of mine do or ever will!
BillM

Attachments

• IMG00005.jpg
    IMG00005.jpg
    171.4 KB · Views: 53