• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

General question about 1994 XJS

ricknussey

Freshman Member
Hi. I am a new member from Ontario, Canada with a 94 XJS (6 cylinder)that I bought for touring around in. Seems like a great car. Are there any problems that I should look out for. I have never owned anything but North American built cars.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

bmurphy7369

Jedi Trainee
Welcome to the forum. I haven't owned an XJS, but I did own a '93 XJ6 which also was a great car. Which engine do you have, first of all? The 6 cylinder engine gave me only two problems. The air temperature sensor and the oxygen sensor.. when these go, you will think your fuel system is dying a slow and painful death. Luckily the parts are inexpensive and easy to change.... I am not sure about the V12, hopefully the same could be said. I recommend changing them out unless you know that they are fairly new. Also if you have inboard rear brakes (I can't remember if your car does) check the pads right away. If these wear and cause rotor or caliper damage, the full inboard brake job is costly and difficult for most people. Beyond that, I can't think of much, maybe treat your leather with hide food and keep your car garaged if at all possible... Jaguars and moisture don't generally make a good combination, hence all the electrical system nightmare stories you may hear. Enjoy your XJS, beautiful machines.

Brian

vettedog72

Jedi Knight
B:
I appreciate your comments on the XJS. I found moistre problems with BMW. So many connections, even the fuse connections were a problem in Louisiana. I had a few boards fail as well: head lights were controlled buy electronic boards and one other that escapes me at this time. Never had any problems in the Atlanta GA area.I guess your comments about the brakes is true for all Jag inboard's? Buy the way, I found a product that really seams to work for electronic connections; it acutally removes oxidation and leaves a protective barrier.

bmurphy7369

Jedi Trainee
Vette,
I think that the salty air is the key (closer to the gulf in Louisiana). I have always tried to believe that Jaguars never had much of a chance from the start, receiving a double-dose of salty climate while awaiting shipment in England (sometimes long periods at the dock, then again at the East Coast port of entry awaiting distribution throughout the U.S.). Definitely, Georgia is one of the better locations to find a rust-free car, probably with less problems in the electrical area... By the way, what is that product for electrical connections? Since I don't feel like running a compression check or tuning Zenith-Strombergs ( /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/pukeface.gif from the anxiety of the task) today, that would be a great project for the '75 XJC.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif