• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

General Spridget Driving Question

BWillis

Jedi Knight
Since picking up the RWA Migdet I've logged a few hundred miles consecutivly for the first time in a spridget. I wanted to ask all of you other, more experienced owners a few questions about driving your cars.

1. Do you find it difficult to get your feet onto the brake pedal without hanging on either the clutch or the accelerator pedals?

2. Do you notice much vibration from the vehicle as a whole when at speeds above 20mph getting louded as speed increases?

3. I notice that my top bow directly over the center of the side windows is wider that the windows (car width) and makes for a gap in the top on those mornings where the top s required. Is this normal or do I need to make some repairs here?

4. Am I the only one who can't stop for gas without geting into a lengthy conversation with someone about the car. What kind, what year etc. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Please keep in mind that I LOVE this car and only wish to make it better if it's needed. If these issues are normal for the car than I can consider it part of the character and defend it as so when my wife decides to question them (this is supposed to be her car when the Bugeye is done).

Thanks!

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
#1 Rather depends how big your feet are, if it is the wifes car I assume she has small feet. Oh yea no tennis shoes.

#2 Vibration means something is wrong, should be smoooth as silk.

#3 Gap is not authorized, is it the correct top bow, are the windows correct? Something is not fitting correctly.

#4 Yep, every time even if it is a tub on a trailer.

OP
B

BWillis

Jedi Knight
#1. Size 11 dress shoes as per for work.

#2. Thats what I was afraid of. The shifter vibrates a good bit. At idle the car feels like it has a V8 lol. Guess I'll start with engine/tranny mounts. Any other suggestions? Tires?

#3. I'll take a picture and post it from the inside looking out. The windows are correct as its a RUW car. The bow looks odd though.

#4. I figured as much. I expect it to be 10 times as bad in the Bugeye but expect it.

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
#2 How about engine and transmision mounts, old tires, balanceing, allignment, U-joints, all of the above.

Country flag
You get used to the pedal position. It is advantageous to have the brake and the gas close together. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Though you should try it in size 13 extra wide hiking boots. Sometimes it feels like there is just one pedal down there! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

OP
B

BWillis

Jedi Knight
Picture of the bow in question. I took this photo looking down the side of the car.

bow_sm.jpg

Big Pic

This bow makes the top wider that the windows at about the center of the glass. I need to go look at the other Midget to compare the bows this afternoon, this bow makes it impossible to get the two windshield frame snaps in place.

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
No clue as to what that is but it does not belong on that car or not in that way.

kcbugeye1275

Jedi Knight
My boys with big feet ( size 11 & 13) often take of their shoes off when driving the bugeye. As you refine things (rebuild ad replace) everything gets smoother. I recently installed a 3.9 diff. and it smoothed things out more on the highway. I have had other lbc owners ride in the bugeye and they are amazed at the attention the bugeye gets. My oldest son has a Miata that is set up to solo race, it is fun to drive, but you don't get the thumbs up you do in the bugeye.

Country flag
Mine has that same part. Maybe some PO bent those out for some reason.

fmichaels

Jedi Knight
with my bow folded, that portion sits well within the car and does not stick out .. i will have to raise the top and see if it changes..

ecurie_ecosse

Luke Skywalker
That bow should be completely covered by the hood.Must be out of line somewhere.

Stuart. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I stand by my previous comment, that ain't right.

fmichaels

Jedi Knight
i agree, with the top up, all bows are within the door frame. something is bent out.

weewillie

Darth Vader
Country flag
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/iagree.gif
something wrong somewhere, will check my '72 tomorrow (too dark outside now)

zimmy

Jedi Knight
if ur shifter is moving alot, your motor probably is too...
when u get it running smooth nothing should move around much....keep tuning........z

[ QUOTE ]
Though you should try it in size 13 extra wide hiking boots. Sometimes it feels like there is just one pedal down there! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif That's funny, yes what shoes you choose to wear can make for a good or bad LCB day .