• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

General intake manifold question

Atrus

Jedi Warrior
This isn’t really Spridget specific, but I am going to be (or attempting to) be fabbing up an intake manifold for my EFI conversion. I’ve opted to use 18 gauge exhaust tubing to do this.

My question is, what (if anything) would I need to do to the I.D. to resist corrosion? I figure I can paint the exterior or have it coated. What about the interior?

Will the gas mixture keep it from corroding, and I do need to coat it, would a ceramic coating hold up? I see some paints/coatings that advertise “gas resistant”, but I’d think the interior should be “gas-proof” as it’ll be in constant contact. The other thought I had was that coating used to line gas tanks, but I don’t know how thick or uneven it’d be. I obviously don’t want to have a thick coat and want it to be smooth as possible for airflow optimization.

Any experience or theories?

Morris

Yoda
Use aluminum.

You can use a braze such as this https://www.aluminumrepair.com/ to hold it together. You can buy idividual sticks of this on eBay for about $3 a pop. If you have a good welding supply shop in your area, you may be able to pick up something comparable for less. You can pick up a very small oxygen/mapp torch at Lowes for about $50.

OP
Atrus

Atrus

Jedi Warrior
Morris, where do you get aluminum tubing with some mandral bends? I'm doing the single TB, so the plan was to use some 180* mandral exhaust tubing for a nice gradual radius into each port.

Morris

Yoda
Not sure on that one. Maybe you could fill your tubing with sand and bend it yourself.

The easiest way to do it would be to have a staight shot from your head into a plenum.

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Tis my understanding that smooth inside intake manifold is not all good. Rough mixes the fuel and air for optimial burning.

OP
Atrus

Atrus

Jedi Warrior
Jack, I can see that point, but I think there's an optimal point. I'm also going on the assumption (and I could be wrong) that a FI setup would need less of that than a carb'd application as the injector sprays a finer gas mist than a jet.

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I am only repeating what Vizard says about intakes. Do not polish, he did not say do not clean up casting burrs and such.

OP
Atrus

Atrus

Jedi Warrior
Oh, agreed Jack. What I meant by the gas tank coating being too thick/rough is I don't want chunks in my intake ;). I've never seen or used that junk before. 80 or 150 grit sandpaper surface is fine with me on the ID.

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
yep, would never put anything in there that would come loose.

Glen_B

Jedi Trainee
Hi Kevin,

Go ahead and use the mild steel exhaust tubing. I've done it for several minifolds and the gas doesn't seem to cause any problem. I used mild steel for the adaptor that joins the turbo to the SU, and for the post-turbo intake manifold and it has NO corrosion at all after years. As always, real experience trumps theorizing and guessing. Go for it with confidence.

Are you putting EFI on a spridget? Megasquirt? I've thought of doing the same since I'll only have to inject one point just ahead of the turbo.

Glen Byrns

OP
Atrus

Atrus

Jedi Warrior
Hey Glen,

Thanks for the reassurance. I'll take your word for it and give it a whirl. Worst case scenerio, I can remove the manifold and find a suitable plating at a later time.

Yup, the plan is to do a TBI setup on it. I'll probably be running 2 injectors (although also considering a single setup, that's my next planning obsticle). So, yes, I too will be only injecting at one point.

It'll probably be a little while before I have this functional, just planning and working on it here and there. No real rush.