• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

frying pan to fire...

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
New front-end components, kingpins 'n bushes, all clean and neat. Just got the new shoes mounted yesterday and on the car. Start 'er up to turn her facing "forward" to clean up the boot and mebbe put some carpet in there. A quick putter around the block and reverse into the drive...

The IGGY light is now glowin' bright enuff to read by.

Sheesh.

OP
DrEntropy

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Ain't THAT th' truth.

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
:lol:

Grantura_MKI

Darth Vader
Gold
Country flag
I know, Drew. It is funny to me and not to others? This is one of the sayings that I live by.
Cheers,
D.
It must look lovely with the nice and proper hardware from Cali?

OP
DrEntropy

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Not just funny, Dave. Too true! :jester:

It does ~look~ lovely. Finally. I should post a pic of the bolt I removed. ugh.

New (NOS) Lockheed rotors I been draggin' thru life since around '78, kingpins and bushings the same.

I pulled the regulator off/apart this eve, dressed the points, no joy. Looks like I'll yank the genny out t'morrow. I have a spare onna shelf but don't think it's any better. I could snipe one off'n one of th' Lotus cars but then I'd be in the same boat sooner or later...

:shocked:

May just refurb the shelf unit and swap 'em out.

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
DrEntropy said:
I could snipe one off'n one of th' Lotus cars but then I'd be in the same boat sooner or later...
I'm guessing later... :devilgrin:

jessebogan

Jedi Knight
Doc, you should take a spin around Ebay. I am looking for a gennie for an MGA, and last nite I searched "Lucas Generators". There were NOS drive end bearings, new rear "caps", brushes and even a couple of armatures. Just fix one of the old ones, cheap and easy. That is what I would be doing, if in fact I had one to start with...

OP
DrEntropy

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Done and done, Jesse! :wink:

One of the brush springs snapped in two pieces, the wire came outta the brush on the other side. Pulled the spare of'n th' shelf, yanked the end off, cobbl'd the bits out to put back in the failed unit and schtupped it back in the B.

All is good again! Whoopee! :wink:

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Well done Doc, well done.

OP
DrEntropy

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
What th' heck are YOU doin' over here at this end o' th' swamp?!?!? :smirk:

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
DrEntropy said:

cobbl'd the bits out to put back in the failed unit and schtupped it back in the B.

Just have to go an' use technical language to show us up doncha?

glad it works!

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
DrEntropy said:
What th' heck are YOU doin' over here at this end o' th' swamp?!?!? :smirk:
I get around, Doc.
grin.gif

I'm a BMC man, and you never know, there could be a T-Series or MGB in my future some day.

OP
DrEntropy

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Ya could do *MGB* worse than to *MGB* think about adding *MGB* another BMC car *MG* to your "collection", Drew.

Far be it from *MGB* me to try and *MGB* influence your *MGB* choice of future *MGB* vehicles!

:smirk:

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Drew,

Tick him off and go to the "Dark Side" of MG's,
& buy a GT!

- Doug

David_DuBois

Jedi Warrior
DrEntropy said:

One of the brush springs snapped in two pieces, the wire came outta the brush on the other side. Pulled the spare of'n th' shelf, yanked the end off, cobbl'd the bits out to put back in the failed unit and schtupped it back in the B.

And people continue to bad mouth Lucas electrics. All Lucas electrical devices I have ever had a problem with (very few) can be easily fixed very easily. By the way, see the article, Keep Your Belts Loose in the Other Tech Articles section of my web site at: https://homepages.donobi.net/sufuelpumps/ for information about the proper tension of fan belts on vehicles with generators vice alternators.
Cheers,

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
DrEntropy said:
Ya could do *MGB* worse than to *MGB* think about adding *MGB* another BMC car *MG* to your "collection", Drew.
My intro to LBCs was my step-grandfather's TD, so I've a soft spot for MGs. At some point I figure I'll want something with a bit more space and cruising speed, and an MGB would fit the bill nicely. Maybe in a couple years I'll start the hunt.

OP
DrEntropy

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
David_DuBois said:
DrEntropy said:

And people continue to bad mouth Lucas electrics. All Lucas electrical devices I have ever had a problem with (very few) can be easily fixed very easily. By the way, see the article, Keep Your Belts Loose in the Other Tech Articles section of my web site at: https://homepages.donobi.net/sufuelpumps/ for information about the proper tension of fan belts on vehicles with generators vice alternators.
Cheers,

Good point, Dave. Too many people YANK the genny far enuff to make the belt tight as an E string.

The comm on this unit was a bit darkened so it wasn't a slam-dunk job. I did take a ScotchBrite green pad to it to clean it up nice and shiny. The last time this unit had an issue was on a 3200 mile round trip to Cleveland, in about 1992... brushes got replaced in Cleveland when the light came on. Reliable as a house brick! I'll have Lucas electrics over Marelli (or most anything else) any day.

jessebogan

Jedi Knight
Exactly so Doc. I would rather track down original Lucas parts and "fix" them if necessary, than to use repro junque. I keep a box w/OEM hydraulic parts in the sea container, and I hunt up lucas stuff all the time. It is simple and generally robust. I have collected a bunch of horns up, and when I have a slow moment, I will restore a pair to either sell on Ebay, or use on a customers car.(Hey, everybody has to have a hobby right??) Besides, I think that a correctly restored car should have correctly date coded components. (I hate the local Jag club concours for this. 100 point cars without date coded parts??? Not 100% in my eyes)