• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Front Tube Shock Mount pic

Morris

Yoda
As promised, here is the pic of my tube shock conversion. It's hard to see much in the picture, but the upper mount is bolted to the top of the stock lever shock, and the lower mount is attached to the spring pan.

I am hoping to manufacture and sell this as a kit. Whatta you guys think?

Attachments

• 227150-ShockMount.jpg
    227150-ShockMount.jpg
    6.5 KB · Views: 153

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
My conversion looks roughly like your's. With the shock behind the suspension, the caliper can get very close to the shock...one of my calipers lightly grazes the shock at full turn (can't recall which side)so I'm careful turning. But in a racer, it's no big deal. Is your's close?

It's a bit hard to tell from the pic but...
Is the upper mount "overhanging" about 4" from the upper shock mount? It looks like it is. Can you also mount it to the inner fender to "steady" it?
How is the lower mount fixed to the spring pan?

Thanks for the picture...fun to do stuff like this (for me, anyway).

regularman

Yoda
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
As promised, here is the pic of my tube shock conversion. It's hard to see much in the picture, but the upper mount is bolted to the top of the stock lever shock, and the lower mount is attached to the spring pan.

I am hoping to manufacture and sell this as a kit. Whatta you guys think?

[/ QUOTE ] I have heard that the spring pan is not strong enough for the force or the shock and will eventually break. I used spacers on the bottom below the pan and mounted some thick steel down there to mount the shock to. I need to take a pic and post it.

OP
Morris

Morris

Yoda
The upper mount could easly be attached to the fender, but I wanted to create something that was "bolt on." I am going to be doing some tests to see if there is any flex and I will let you know.

Currently, the caliper will rub the shock under certain conditions. I simply need to extend the lower mount about 1/8" and that will be fixed.

My lower mount is attached to the spring pan by 3" grade 8 bolts. The mount, like Nial's, is 3/4" cold rolled steel. The bar rests on the bottom of the a-arm and is held in place by nuts on top and bottom. It seems extremely strong and secure. I will let you know after a I drive it around for a while if it hammers my a-arms or spring pans.

DesertSprite

Jedi Warrior
I'm interested in tube shock kits, as I'm fairly inept when it comes to fabricating things on my own.

Regularman - you should post a picture of yours as well.

Joel

regularman

Yoda
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
I'm interested in tube shock kits, as I'm fairly inept when it comes to fabricating things on my own.

Regularman - you should post a picture of yours as well.

Joel

[/ QUOTE ] I will when I get the time. I'm up in Boston right now for a death in my wifes family. Drove up sunday night and going back wednesday morning and work again on Thursday. I'm tired already.

msoylemez

Jedi Trainee
This is the Frontline set-up. The bottom bracket goes under the A-arm and bolts to both sides. Hopefully this will be strong enough.

And you are absolutely correct, the shock is upside down in the pics!

Attachments

• 227969-DSC02051.JPG
    227969-DSC02051.JPG
    47.1 KB · Views: 112

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
And you are absolutely correct, the shock is upside down in the pics!

[/ QUOTE ]

Inquireing minds want to know, in fact must know, why are the shocks upside down, or is the car upside down? LOL I do stuff like that all the time.

regularman

Yoda
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
Kim:

Your setup looks very similar to mine.
Go here to see my setup:

https://npmccabe.tripod.com/spritetubeshock.htm

[/ QUOTE ] Hey, I think I copied you. It was a couple years ago when I did this and I searched all kinds of info on the internet and I remember seeing those pictures (or ones very similar). I just used what I had at hand. That aluminum looks really good. I used all steel because thats all I had. I believe I used 1" keystock for the arm that was drilled and tapped for the shock bolt. I have never had my spridget on the road since doing this. I did that while replacing all the bushing with polyurethane and sweating in new threaded parts in the a-arms, repairing the swivel axels, etc. I did all the suspension restoration/upgrades first.

Biff

Jedi Trainee
Kim,

Could you share with us the source for "new threaded parts in the a-arms", i.e., outter fulcrum pin bushings. I thought I saved a 'source' for them but cannot find it!
Thanks,

regularman

Yoda
Country flag
Um, I got them from a place called "apple" something or other. They were not that expensive. I had more trouble finding some good silver solder that I could use to sweat them in. apple hydraulics, I believe, but don't swear by that. Do some google searches and you might find it or someone else might know better than I.