• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Front tube shock kits

Legal Bill

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Hi guys.

I'm considering a project involving the heavy modification of an MGB. I would replace the engine and tranny with another four cylinder engine of substantially more power and a six speed tranny. Thinking about other modifications that would complement the engine swap, I got to thinking about tube shock conversion kits for the front and rear. Some of these kits look very expensive and range from a bracket that uses the original shock as an upper a arm to a complete coil over kit.

Have any of you tried these kits, and if so, what do you think of them. This car, when done, will probably be a bit heavier than stock and will have about 240 hp and 160 ft/lbs of torque. I want the suspension to be able to keep up with the engine. I have also heard the tube shock systems are more comfortabel than stock. Is that true?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Steve_S

Yoda
Most tube shock conversions are poorly designed and result in a harsh ride and choppy handling. The standard lever shocks are perfectly suited to the car and will last a lifetime. Problems with tube shocks are especially bad on the front of the car. The problem is, the MGB was never designed for tube shocks so the space available is very limited. This means you can't easily achieve the correct angle and travel that the shock needs to operate properly.

That said, if you really want tube shocks then the best solution (considering the heavy modifications you're planning on the rest of the car) would be to go all out with a coil-over kit. This essentially replaces the entire front suspension with a modern design. It isn't cheap, but achieving an increase in performance over an existing solid design never is. Four and five link rear suspension kits are also available which will give you IRS and tube shocks.

OP
L

Legal Bill

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Thanks Steve. I'm not really sure I need the suspension change. I certainly don't want to incur the expense if it does not really add anything.

Steve_S

Yoda
Well, it all depends on how the conversion is done. There are people out there who enjoy tube shocks on their MGBs. Most (not all) however have never driven with a properly functioning set of levers. Instead, they replace old worn out levers with new tubes and proclaim them superior. Done properly, tube shocks will work as well if not better than levers. It's the "properly" part that is difficult to achieve. A guy in his garage just doesn't have the resources for R&D that an automotive engineering firm does, like the one at Abingdon!

Legal Bill said:
Thanks Steve. I'm not really sure I need the suspension change. I certainly don't want to incur the expense if it does not really add anything.

I would recommend doing the engine conversion and getting it on the road first, assuming that your stock suspension is in good order and your brakes in top-notch condition.

You can always upgrade the front and rear suspensions down the road. Get the feel of the car and see how it handles; see what YOU need to make it the car that YOU want it to be.

That being said, I have a FastCars, Inc front crossmember and a Classic Conversions four-link rear suspension on my V8 conversion.

Neither of these suspensions could be considered "inexpensive", but they do in fact "add something" to the performance of the car.

Attachments

• 25226.jpg
    25226.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 529
rick_ingram said:
That being said, I have a FastCars, Inc front crossmember and a Classic Conversions four-link rear suspension on my V8 conversion.

Neither of these suspensions could be considered "inexpensive", but they do in fact "add something" to the performance of the car.

Attachments

• 25227.jpg
    25227.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 584
OP
L

Legal Bill

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I do like the look of that front suspension.

I've had British sports cars all my life, including amny MGAs and MGBs. I always thought the B handled fine, but I was concerned that a chassis carrying more weight with more power and wider tires would simply overwhelm the stock suspension.

Legal Bill said:
Rick, what rear end do you have in there, a Ford?

Yes, 8" Ford with an Auburn 3.27 posi.

Attachments

• 25228.jpg
    25228.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 505

swift6

Yoda
What are you planning on putting in? I do know of an MGB that is getting a Honda S2000 engine, 6-speed transmission and rear end installed. The rear end has had a specific cradle built for it, has been narrowed and will retain the rear disc brakes. The front suspension has been replaced with a Fast Cars subframe and large disc brakes. Should be a fun 220hp, 8400rpm MGB when its done but will be nothing like experiencing an original.

14dna

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Bill;

My suspicion is S2000 running gear. (240HP 160 LB?FT Torque)
Can you get a whole car for at least the rear suspension?
Like Steve says, I doubt the Honda engine weighs as much as the MGB.
I need pics of this swap if you do it.

Dave :cheers:

billspohn

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I wouldn't bother changing the suspension, it will be up to that sort of power and the weight won't change much.

OP
L

Legal Bill

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Yup, Honda S2000 engine and tranny. I own an S2000 and would love to see how the engine propels a 2000 pound car. But I'm going to get an engine and tranny from a crashed car. I'm not breaking up my baby. I've had my S since new.

I thought about trying to put in the IRS, but a well located solid rear axle seems to work well. I'd like to add that Cal Ace body kit. It would sort of be a subtle, sleeper Cobra. A lot of heavier V8 powered cars would be in for a surprise. And if it needs more power, they make some very nice turbo kits for the engine.