• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR4/4A Spax, Gaz and Koni on Front

bammons

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
I have found I have to replace the incorrect springs on the front (TR4A). I want to replace them with standard springs. While I have it apart again I was wondering about this. I bought new shocks from TRF (made in India) and had them on but have not finished my restoration so have not driven with them. They seem real lightweight and cheap so I was wondering if upgrading is worth it for normal street driving. I would like opinions on this upgrade and opinions on the big three brands. Bruce

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
I've always fitted Koni's on my "real" cars... Monroe for the sleds. 😉

poolboy

Yoda
Country flag
Koni have an adjustable feature, which you may only need to use once. and if they are like mine need to be removed to make that readjustment,
If you get them, I suggest you start on the softest setting and you may not have to readjust them.

OP
B

bammons

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
I think all three are adjustable with Koni being the hardest to adjust. Poolboy did you think the upgrade was worth it? Dr from your reply apparently you do think it is worth it. I am thinking maybe I will go with the GAZ as they can be adjusted on the car and are the lower priced and hope they would be worth the investment over the standard in ride and handling.

poolboy

Yoda
Country flag
Well they are real good shocks that have held up for over 70,000 miles on my car so in that respect they are a value.

charleyf

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Well they are real good shocks that have held up for over 70,000 miles on my car so in that respect they are a value.
I decided to go full bore on one TR4. I have Koni's on the front and converted to tube shocks on the rear. On my other TR4 I have (TRF shocks) front and stock lever shocks rear. I do not feel the difference. I will add that I run 6" wide wheels and have 205-65×15" tires. So that may well negate a lot of what the shocks might have improved. It has been many years since I autocrossed with the modified car and never with the stock one. Again I felt the different tires were made the most difference.
In other words I would not upgrade again unless I were a serious autocrosser or racer.
Charley

mrv8q

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
I replaced the original shocks in my ‘3 with the TRF India shocks 18 years ago, and I have been satisfied with them since then. I have the original lever shocks in the rear, so obviously not pushing the car too hard.

I have no idea if the India shocks are as equally good now as they were then.

Hamish Racing

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
For my 3a suspension up grade I used gaz very pleased and can be adjusted in car. I know I use mine in competition but it’s my springs that are hard for that the shocks are softer and adjustable
But worth checking where the gaps in the coil spring sits so you can get to the adjuster screw and have the adjuster screw facing the front !!!!
I also had to trim my poly spring spacer as the adjuster screw sat a bit low compared to this additional part.
Easy once fitted correctly

OP
B

bammons

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
I am searching for new springs also. The PO it turns out had put TR4 springs on, 11" vs 10 1/4". Waiting for TRF to respond to a couple of questions on theirs and looking a BPNW slso but they are out of stock. My suspension was real high after rebuild and I need to get it much lower. And I want to have a "standard" ride, not harsh. As far as the shocks it seems there is not a consensus so I will just go with my gut. The India shocks really feel cheap but I do already own them and have not even driven with them yet so as somebody pointed out it is not that hard to change them out if I am not satisfied. Bruce

mrv8q

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Regarding your springs, I have bought parts from this gentleman in the past, though it’s been awhile…

OP
B

bammons

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
I did go with GAZ shocks and springs that I got from Rimmer. They were only $125pr (GAZ). TRF never responded to my questions on their springs so had to move on. I continue to have problems with TRF. I hope the springs from Rimmer are OK they should certainly be better than the TR4 springs 11" the PO had put on my TR4A. I think that I like the idea of adjusting the shocks if you want to. I may never adjust them but I can. Now for a daily funny: I ordered from Rimmer and mistakenly only ordered only 1 spring. So let's do another order. I appreciate everybody's input. Bruce

LarryK

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Konis on my Iags, Bilstiens on my Rovers and track MINI S.