• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Front Lever shock arm

middleagecrazy

I have an issue I have been trying to resolve for a few weeks. I was in the process of replacing the grease zirks in my front suspension when I found that the bearing in my left front shock is warn and allowing movement in the connecting arm to the king pin. I have found two other shocks that are good with the exception that the arms on them have slack in them. Therefore I am trying to find out if anyone has found a way to remove the arms that are not warn and loose? I have tried pullers, hammers and heat as well as penetrating oil and WD40 and I can’t get the arm to budge. If I can get the arm off the shock that had the bad bearing I can put it on one of the other shocks that has the bad arm.

Thanks in advance
Anthony

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Have never seen one off. PeterC would be the guy with the answer as his company rebuilds shocks.

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
You know for like 70 dollars and mail or UPS time Peter will turn a bad one into a good one. I think he will even send you a good one and let you return a core.

With an outfit like Peter has around not worth even thinking about messing with shocks.

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
That is PeterC, he is the owner and a Moss distributor, etc, etc, etc. His shop there can do most anything think he rebuilds for the industry mostly. Give him a call, nice guy and good to talk to, 800 number even, hehe.

World Wide Auto Parts of Madison, Inc.
2517 Seiferth Rd. ­ Madison, WI 53716
Local (608) 223-9400 ­ Fax (608) 223-9403 ­ WATS (800) 362-1025
Email

Business Hours
Monday - Friday 8am - 5:30pm CST
Closed Saturday and Sunday

Front Price/
Core Charge Rear Price/
Core Charge
Bugeye 1958 up to ch. 4332
RM5925
L+R
$68.95/
$40.00 RM7335
L+R $55.15/
$30.00

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
New shocks from Peter C. turned Bugsy from a change lanes automatically every time I hit a paint strip in the road to a lean, mean cornering machine. Well replacement of the A frame and ball joints fixed problems as well, but Peter C. shocks are the way to go. You won't believe the difference in how the car drives. Don't forget rear shocks as well.

JerryB

Jedi Warrior
""""""when I found that the bearing in my left front shock is warn and allowing movement in the connecting arm to the king pin. I have found two other shocks that are good with the exception that the arms on them have slack in them. Therefore I am trying to find out if anyone has found a way to remove the arms that are not warn and loose? I have tried pullers, hammers and heat as well as penetrating oil and WD40 and I can’t get the arm to budge. If I can get the arm off the shock that had the bad bearing I can put it on one of the other shocks that has the bad arm.""""""""

Dont waste your time.

You need to first make a fixture that grabs the arm from underneath. Then you need a press to remove the arm.

HOWEVER.....if the BUSHING in your shock is warn (thus allowing movement),replacing just the arm does nothing.

The short answer.........

World Wide Auto Parts of Madison, Inc.
2517 Seiferth Rd. ­ Madison, WI 53716
Local (608) 223-9400 ­ Fax (608) 223-9403 ­ WATS (800) 362-1025
Email

Business Hours
Monday - Friday 8am - 5:30pm CST
Closed Saturday and Sunday

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Haha, your shocks could have shiped today.

PeterC

Jedi Warrior
Anthony, I'm confused by your description... let me try to help. If the arm and the shaft going into the shock are loose in the body of the shock, replace the shock. There is no bearing, just a machined hole in the zinc alloy body. (bearings CAN be machined for and added, however, (ahem))

If the arm is loose at its connection to the shaft, where that big nut is, replace the shock. That nut should not be removed. It is a tapered and splined shaft which if it gets worn, requires some tricky machine work (ahem)

If the slack you feel in the other 2 shocks you have as spares is just in the up-and-down movement, adding some oil and working the arms may alleviate that. If they are low on oil, then they leaked, and if they leaked they should be replaced with some that don't.(ahem)

If the arm is loose at the kingpin connection or trunnion, there are some replaceable rubber bushings that do that.

That help?
Peter C.

OP
middleagecrazy

middleagecrazy

Thanks Everyone
I have now had my lesson on shocks. A special thanks to Peter C. and everyone else but Jack he's just cold.
Haha, your shocks could have shiped today.

Peter
If I understand correctly you are saying that the shocks with the loose arm must be replaced. Does this also mean that they are not viable cores?

Thank you too Jack
Anthony