• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Fitting Moto Lita - HELP

DerekJ

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Ok I should have done what Keoke suggested and packed a lunch!!

But Im back home now and need more info, there are a couple of things I don't understand

Firstly..My car has an adjustable column. Reading Haynes gives me the impression I do not have to remove the stator nut and olive. Is this correct? (BTW Id like to avoid the oil mess if I can)

Second. I have removed the short stator tube attached to the horn assembly. All I see inside the original wheel hub is a splined tube with a spring clip about 1/4" from the end. Where is the steering wheel nut that I see referreed to in several manuals and posts!!! Am I missing one? sounds serious ..surely I can' be. What is holding the wheel on?

When I pull on the wheel it moves up the splined tube and then is blocked. Is that the spring clip that is stopping it? On the outside of the steering column is a telescopic, kind of gaiter. Ive pulled this up at both ends but don't see any nuts of any kind that I could get at.

Third. Does the ring that is used (supposedly) to tighten up the adjustable column have anything to do with this?

The wires with the bullets look like they are going to be a very tight fit especially with tape around them as well, They have to come all the way out of the top of the column I suppose, Then the string is disconnected, and then reconnected after threading the wires through the new wheel. Is that right??

Help needed

Derek (and BTW I already lost one grub screw!) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Derek:
I told you not to touch that olive thingy-lets all the oil out of the gear box. Yes the little circlip must be removed to free the wheel. You should not need to tape the wires on removal,However if you are ok with soldering remove the bullets and only reinstall them after you repull the wiring harness through the stator tube during reassembly.---Keoke /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif---Make sure the tighterning ring is free of the wheel. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yesnod.gif

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Hi Again Derek, do not fret over loosing the grub screw. go to a supply source and get a matching set of either Allen head or Bristol Head items and the proper fitting wrench those original grub screws are a pain in the arse.---Keoke

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
Thanks Keoke,

I didnt touch the olive thing so thats one thing I did right.

So is that spring clip the only thing that holds the wheel on?

[/ QUOTE ]----Yep, after the nut and washer are removed---Keoke /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

OP
DerekJ

DerekJ

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Keoke,

The steering wheel is now successfully installed, ...and there is no nut or washer.

For anybody else who might be interested here is how I'd do it again if I had to, and assuming I was in my own workshop with everything available.

This ONLY applies to an ADJUSTABLE STEERING COLUMN.

1. Disconnect the snap connectors of the horn and indicators. These are found directly under the bonnet latch just above the centre of the grill. Can be a bit fiddly and you may need to undue a clip that holds the wiring harness in place.

2. make a note of which wire goes where as for some reason the wires are not all matching and therefore its not obvious when you re-connect them.

3. Remove the bullet connectors. This just makes it a lot easier for the wires to pass up and down the steering column. It can be done with them attached but its a very tight fit and mine did not go through properly.

4. Attach a string to the ends of the wires so that when the wiring is pulled all the way through and out of the top of the steering column you can use the string to pull them back through. Its tough (impossible) to just push the cable back down the tube.

5, Remove the three small grub screws in the hub of the steering wheel. Keep them safe (Note my Moto Lita boss came with its own grub screws fitted)

6. Withdraw the horn/indicator assembly which is attached to the small stator tube. Do not twist it, pull it straight out. Then pull the wiring all the way out and disconnect the string on the end.

7. Loosen completely the large bakelite locking ring under the old boss that is used to lock the adjustable column in place. It unlocks anti-clockwise as you look directly at it.

8. Remove the circular split spring clip that is located about 1/4" from the end of the hollow splined steering column.

9. Remove the wheel. It should now slide off easily.

10. Install the new boss. The Moto Lita one has two screw clips to tighten it onto the splined column. It will no longer be an adjustable column which is good, because that was a useless option. My column used to move up and down even though the ring was tightened as much as it could be.

11. Fit the wheel, reconnect the wires to the string and pull them baqck thorugh the steering column. Slide the small stator tube assembly back in place and insert and tighten the grub screws

12.Refit the bullets and insert them back in the snaps behind the grill and thats it.

Easy when you know what you doing, only took me the weekend!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

cheers /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thirsty.gif