• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Suspension Reinstall / Fitting Steerig Arm to Tie Rod End

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
I can't seem to find an angle where Steering Arm Hole aligns the Tie Rod End Hole so I can get them together. Do the bolts for the Steering Arm need to be on there loose when this is first fitted to gain clearance. What am I missing here? Time for a coffee refill and rest the knees. Goal is to get Left Side Complete including Calipers, new Wheel Bearings, Discs and Rotors today. PS tomorrow plus install resleeved Master on Bugsy IV.

Wishbones on, Kingpins and Trunion Cap reinstalled and I believe it is on correctly. At least according to the Shop Manual. Having some nice rubber washers for fitting the Kingpin /Spindle to the Wishbone really worked well. Thanks Peter C. for the tip.

Rhodyspit75

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
Shouldn't have to loosen those bolts. Did you try jacking the hub up to compress the spring to a more normal position instead of dropped way down?

OP
Jim_Gruber

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
Spring isn't even installed yey/ LEt me try changing that angle

OP
Jim_Gruber

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
Jacking it up got me closer. Still having issues getting an angle to tighten down the nut to get the Tie Rod End to lock into the streering arm. Tried using the old Castle Nut to tighen and now have the castle nut stuck on there while ball joint spins. A PITA. And of coursethe MEtal Nylock just bounces away somewhere and now I need ot find it.EY#TQ@%$@%#$%

Rhodyspit75

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
Did you remove the steering arms? If so you may have them on the wrong sides. That would make the taper upside down.

OP
Jim_Gruber

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
Solved the issue. Steering arms from the Donor '71 Spindles would not work with BE Steering Rack. Pulled dirty greasy 58 y.o. arms off and they fit perfectly.

OP
Jim_Gruber

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
View attachment 47263You can see the difference in length and angle. Now to pull off the other old steering arm, degrease, and a nice coat of safety yellow. The BE Steering arm was originally painted yellow under some other coats of black paint I can see. A nice day to paint, 65 and sunny in Dayton today and warmer tomorrow. Goal is to get front discs all fitted and radiator reinstalled and complete by EOD on Sunday. Time to paint and get started on the other side. Calipers, Brakes, hubs and bearings still to go.

Rhodyspit75

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
Good to know. Now all I have to do is remember that in case I have the same problem. I will put the bugeye arms in a safe place.

OP
Jim_Gruber

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
So Paint is drying on one side of the steering arms. important thing to remember is that they are tapered and larger hole goes down. And make sure you install the bearings correctly

OP
Jim_Gruber

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
Crap and Double Crap. Just realized I have the R Spindle Assembly installed on the LF. Crap, crap, crap. Time to take a break, put the bike on the back of the SUV and go for a ride on this beautiful 65 degree winter day. I'll be back at it and fix things after dinner.

But on a bright note Steering Arms are painted and look nice, Wheel Bearings are greased and inners and oil seal are pressed into the hub, Red Calipers look nice along with SS Hoses. Now that I've figured out how to get all of it together and found all of the parts in various spots around the garage, it will not be hard to redo things.

OP
Jim_Gruber

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
Drew you know I read your write up on reinstall a long time ago and totally forgot your comments on spindles being handed.
Oh Well. Time to go ride, Haven't been out since October when I fell and tore my Rotator Cuff. A nice easy safe ride for a few miles.

Gerard

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Jim,

Not sure what your issue was in assembly, but the BTA 648 and 649 are definitely the correct arms. I have had those on my Bugeye since around 1969 or 1970.

View attachment 47263You can see the difference in length and angle. Now to pull off the other old steering arm, degrease, and a nice coat of safety yellow. The BE Steering arm was originally painted yellow under some other coats of black paint I can see. A nice day to paint, 65 and sunny in Dayton today and warmer tomorrow. Goal is to get front discs all fitted and radiator reinstalled and complete by EOD on Sunday. Time to paint and get started on the other side. Calipers, Brakes, hubs and bearings still to go.

OP
Jim_Gruber

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
Gerard I don't know either but I need to take all apart again as I installed Spindles on backwards. A job for tomorrow . The only thing I can think is that I had the wrong steering arm installed and it was on Taper Big hole up.

Gerard

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
That is what I suspected as well.

Gerard I don't know either but I need to take all apart again as I installed Spindles on backwards. A job for tomorrow . The only thing I can think is that I had the wrong steering arm installed and it was on Taper Big hole up.

OP
Jim_Gruber

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
Well just got back from sourcing new Metal Nylocks to replace the one I already used. One Time only to be safe. I'll meet to unbolt wishbone and move to the other side as I don't trust being able to remove the locking without damaging threads. May make it a bit more challenging to do but here goes.

OP
Jim_Gruber

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
End of day, LF Suspension pretty much done with the hard part. Still need to hang calipers, clean rotors, install springs and spring pan. And hook up brake lines on that side. Right side pretty much 1/2 together. All looks ok on left side, no clearance issues new bearings went in with no problem. 2 hours to finish left side, maybe less, 4 hours to finish right side, and then change out Master Cylinder.

Need to source parts arts for rear discs this week. Next weekend rear end comes out. New rims arrive on Tuesday.

New gas tank arrived. Will need to clean it up and then paint and install. Coming together.