• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

General Tech Fitting the Hood (Bonnet)

KVH

Darth Vader
Country flag
I “think“ my rebuild is finally over. Everything seems to be running great. I am finally ready to reinstall the hood I removed long ago.

What is the best method? Do I attach the hood hinges to the hood and then lower that into the car, or do I first fasten the hinges to the fenders in the engine compartment and then bring the hood to the hinges?

charleyf

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
On my TR4s I have elected to mount the hinge to the body and then brinollig the hood to the hinges. Two people or even three if available make this easier.
If you ever wish to remove the bonnet in the future, I have a suggestion. Prior to removing the bonnet from the hinges drill two 1/8" holes through the hinge mounted to the bonnet. Space these well apart. These are going to be your guide to replacing the bonnet without having to do any adjustments for fit. You will need four 1/8" roll pins that will have a snug fit in those holes you drilled in the hinges. If you leave the hinge mounted to the body you only need to mount the bonnet to the hinge loosely, install the two roll pins on each hinge to align the hood into it's original position and tighten the three bolts per hinge. Make sure you get that short bolt in the correct location. Otherwise a long bolt will put a dent in your bonnet.
Charley

OP
KVH

KVH

Darth Vader
Country flag
Oh, gosh, thanks for the warning. Is the short bolt the one that goes into the side of the bracket, or is it one of the lower (toward windshield) outside bolts?

charlie74

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
If the 4 bonnet is the same as the 6’s broadly speaking then the short bolt goes through the bracket on the side.
Bringing the bonnet to the hinges is the best way to do it IMO and it’s at least a 2 person job.
the roll pins are an interesting idea…

charleyf

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Like Charlie says the short bolt is the support off to the side. And it us actually the 4th bolt.
I have used this roll pin idea on the door hinges as well as the hood. Sure saves a lot of frustration trying to align bonnet and doors. That is if they are good before you start taking things apart.
Charley

sp53

Yoda
Country flag
I use 2 people and spread some business cards around the areas where it looks like thing might rub. I will tape them in place sometimes with some weak sticky blue tape or take the tape and put it on my jeans a couple of times to kill the sticky if I think the tape is too sticky so as to pull on the paint.

Get the bolts in snug but not too snug so I can adjust the gap around the hood. The fenders are probably not exactly where there they were, so the fenders might need to be loosened also.

steve

OP
KVH

KVH

Darth Vader
Country flag
I’m done. On and looks good. I have some thoughts.

First, I should’ve used business cards like you say. I have two little “rubs.” Second, I probably should’ve attached one hinge to the car, and one to the hood, and worked from there. We had too much struggle, even keeping bolts loose. Third, I should’ve removed the neoprene hood buffers and had new ones ready. Fourth, yes, I should’ve loosened up the fenders, but not sure how—screws and spire nuts with acme threads it appears.

Not sure I ever want to do this again. It was rough and took two patient helpers.

Nor, for that matter, do I ever want a horse a transmission out of the interior all by myself again

charleyf

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
I’m done. On and looks good. I have some thoughts.

First, I should’ve used business cards like you say. I have two little “rubs.” Second, I probably should’ve attached one hinge to the car, and one to the hood, and worked from there. We had too much struggle, even keeping bolts loose. Third, I should’ve removed the neoprene hood buffers and had new ones ready. Fourth, yes, I should’ve loosened up the fenders, but not sure how—screws and spire nuts with acme threads it appears.

Not sure I ever want to do this again. It was rough and took two patient helpers.

Nor, for that matter, do I ever want a horse a transmission out of the interior all by myself again
Really and miss all of those memorable moments.
Charley