• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Fifteen miles at eight degrees equals....

bcliff

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Got home from work this afternoon and thought I'd just take a peek under the hood to see if anything was frozen. It was a fifteen mile drive. It is currently eight degrees and snowing.
This is the front carb on my Morris. Right behind the "warm" radiator. That is a nce thick coat of frost covering it. Though folks in warmer areas might enjoy this.
Bruce in northern Colorado

Attachments

• 151241-Frozencarb.jpg
    151241-Frozencarb.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 80

thegoodbeamer

Jedi Warrior
Now is that 8 degrees above freezing or - 8 degrees below freezing on the F scale?Or is it just plain old 8 degrees F
Sunny.snowing and its about 2 F

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Radiator off to the side in the driver wheelwell like on my MG1100?

Mini City sells a plastic piece that goes over the front of the engine behind the grille to keep that from happening

OP
bcliff

bcliff

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
That would be 8 degrees F or 24 degrees below freezing Farenheit.
My radiator is right out front, carbs on the left side. It's a Morris Minor Traveller.
Carbs don't seem to be bothered by ice, and the dang thing starts right up even when it is 20 below zero (F). /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/driving.gif

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Sorry, I was thinking Mini....does your traveler have wood?

OP
bcliff

bcliff

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Yes the Traveller has wood:smile: Without the wood, I't wouldn't be much of a car.

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Photos?

D

Deleted member 3577

I traveled from Saint Louis to Pittsburgh in the middle of December one time in an Elva Courier. ( High of 10F ). From my own experience, the SU's were the least of my problems. (No top / No heater) Although I did require ether start the engine the next morning ( -2F ). Most people would never try something like that so it is probably unnecessary for me to warn against it.

OP
bcliff

bcliff

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Here is a picture of Mighty Manfred the Wonder Traveller. That beautiful paint job is a work (of art) in progress. In case you are wondering, it is going from brown to black and white.
Bruce (still cold)

Attachments

• 151877-mm1.jpg
    151877-mm1.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 75

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Yeah, I NEED one of those!

Banjo

Yoda
Country flag
Does the checker board mean the paint job is "finished"? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jester.gif

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Too symmetrical to be "razzle" but it should confuse most drivers when complete anyhow. Careful they don't just "spaz out" and ram ya right amidships...

BTW: Have ya got a set of magnetic base chess pieces for it?

ThomP

Jedi Warrior
The answer to your title is:

Things I hope I never encounter!

Burrrrrrrrrrrr.

OP
bcliff

bcliff

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I have found that the most common response to the checkers, at least by people behind me is: "Checkered flag!! I must pass it to win!!!" Now, this is by no means the speediest car on the road, but I can usually manage to do the speed limit. No trips to Denver on the interstate though. Has anyone else had this response to their "little" cars, or is it just the checkered flag effect?

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Why no trips to Denver on the interstate? That interstate south from Denver is the slowiest one in the country! You'd be lucky to do 55 on it! & people won't get out of the left lane!

swift6

Yoda
bcliff is in Fort Collins which is north of Denver. I-25 from Fort Colins to Denver is NOT LBC friendly, the average speed is about 80mph. Apart from the occasional big rig slow down on some of the steeper hills, the road is usually plagued with large SUV's whose drivers are too busy chatting on their cell phones to notice anything smaller than a 50's era Buick.

I stopped driving my TR6 on I-25 after I nearly got run off the road four times in one trip! Road Rage and agressive driving has become a real problem along the front range (eastern slope of the rockies) of Colorado. Not California levels but it's nearing that.

When was the last time you drove in Colorado Tony? I-25 from Denver south to Colorado Springs cab be just as bad if not worse when it's plagued by accidents. Massive population growth definitely has it's drawbacks.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
About 3 years ago - & it was slower than molasses! With people driving beside one another in all lanes...& trhey don't know what flashing headlights mean - or at least they wouldn't move over!

swift6

Yoda
[ QUOTE ]
About 3 years ago - & it was slower than molasses! With people driving beside one another in all lanes...& trhey don't know what flashing headlights mean - or at least they wouldn't move over!

[/ QUOTE ]

Sometimes in heavy congestion it does slow down, especially if its following an accident clean up. It can taken longer to clear the congestion than to clear the accident so often you don't even see the accident or its remnants.

Careful with flashing the headlights though. It used to be accepted practice. Now you can be reported and subsequently ticketed for aggressive driving for such behavior. Most likely though, as you found out, you will just be ignored.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif