• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Spitfire 1980 spit.. 34000 miles unbelievable

Duane3

Freshman Member
Hello all.. hope all are well.. you are going to like this one..I had to change my tranny oil.. no big deal..done it 100s of time .. building Harleys and whatever,, this is my 3rd spit had a 65 and a 78,, got hit broadside in my 78 ,,guy was going 40 miles an hour,, and i lived..anyway so I get my big belly under the car and take plug out no big deal.. plug came out fine,, drained it then started to put the plug back in.. it would go only half way,, thought ok just a little burr,, not so.. that SOB plug would only go in half way.. so baffled I get a tap to check the threads.. tap went in just fine..so tried it again no way,, half inch drive,, remember this plug came out easy and it was not cross threaded..I was sure.. put tap back in no issue,, ordered new plug,, same thing half way and that was it,, so I got ****** and went and bought a regular plug with the same thread ,, got it in to about an 8th of an inch.. it quit,,man I am ballistic something so simple.. the threads were straight not pipe type so was the plug.. anyway I put the plug in that I bought which does not have a magnet,, but I got it.. I said self it is going to go or It will just stripe out.. well went to the 3/4 drive and got it.. man i still cannot figure it out all threads were fine..gremblins I guess any body else??

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
So you finally got it in but had to use a ¾" drive to get it to go? If something was wrong in there (and I suspect there was) I don't think this fixed it. Next oil change may reveal more info.

FlyingCat

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
I'm in the process of rebuilding an '80 Spitfire that was pretty much in pieces when I got it, so I have to replace a lot of bolts and nuts. I can generally measure for what kind of bolt or nut I need using my nifty thread guage, but there is no guarantee that a bolt or nut will actually work. Some are just a cat's hair off. Sometimes it's the new bolt that just isn't quite right. I've found differeces in the bolt bin at my local hardware in seemingly identical bolts. Go figure. Other times... who knows? It could be that the threads have gotten hot over the years and have "warped" just a little. If your car was in an accident, it could have shifted something. Once you got the original plug out it allowed the hole to shift. Mind you, I'm guessing here. Just to say, I've run into those issue with my '80 Spitfire, too. Hope that helps.

OP
D

Duane3

Freshman Member
I'm in the process of rebuilding an '80 Spitfire that was pretty much in pieces when I got it, so I have to replace a lot of bolts and nuts. I can generally measure for what kind of bolt or nut I need using my nifty thread guage, but there is no guarantee that a bolt or nut will actually work. Some are just a cat's hair off. Sometimes it's the new bolt that just isn't quite right. I've found differeces in the bolt bin at my local hardware in seemingly identical bolts. Go figure. Other times... who knows? It could be that the threads have gotten hot over the years and have "warped" just a little. If your car was in an accident, it could have shifted something. Once you got the original plug out it allowed the hole to shift. Mind you, I'm guessing here. Just to say, I've run into those issue with my '80 Spitfire, too. Hope that helps.

Thanks alot,, never run into this before,, done alot of wrenching,, beats the **** out of me,, i went and got me a bolt with washer and it went in tell about 8th inch then quit with a half inch drive,, sooo got ****** and got my 3/4 inch drive and said you are going to go or break.. then just take it to the shop to fix well I got i,, and it is tight,, it is staying there ,, it has no magnet but oh well ... I will just add if I think it needs some ,, do not care if I over fill,, got a small leak in one of the seals so the engine will have to come out thne do it all clutch seals and whatevre,, hey thanks alot !!!!

FlyingCat

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
You're welcome. My Spitfire set a long time, too. It's got 39,000 miles on it, but it hadn't run in over 25 years until I got hold of it. I've found that if what's wrong could be one of three things, then it's all three. My next project is replacing both lower wishbones so I can reattach the anti-sway bar. Hey, I wanted a project, and I got it!

OP
D

Duane3

Freshman Member
I do not know what it could be,, it all check fine no burrs, good threads for both.. for the miles I put o it that plug will not be coming out anytime soon.. never had this happen on anything before,, plug cam out with my fingers,, but it just would not go back all was checked.. no cross treading or anything,, its british ,, ordered new plug same thing,, so it is what it is..