• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

General TR 500 Miles Arizona to California

KVH

Darth Vader
Country flag
I want so badly to repeat my "teen" trips to California in my TR4A. I have an overdrive, but still, it seems unwise. Everyone today seems to drive 90 MPH, vehicles are much larger, the intellect of the average driver much smaller, etc. Interstate 10 from Phoenix to LA would seem crazy and I-8 not much better. Are long distance "state to state" drives in our Triumphs a thing of the past when Interstates are the primary means of travel? I guess it goes without saying that "intrastate" travel is best, and all on quieter backroads--and therefore the club drives. Just wondering how others feel.

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Perfect reason to stick to "secondary" highways. Much more serene, and far less traffic; you'll actually be able to see the country rather than rush past it. We've found travel in the motorhome much more enjoyable without fighting with everyone for position so we can be first to get where we're going. We've also found many of the lighter traveled highways to be in better condition than the interstates.

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Drive "the road not taken".

You can still cross much of the USA on non-Interstate highways, in an old car. It's slower, takes more time. But you see the America of towns, forests, deserts, mountains, ranches and farms - not cities and shopping malls. Take the "blue highways".

Quotefancy-5074435-3840x2160.jpg

I did it. You can too. Read my blog - link is below.

There are selfish egotists everywhere. Ignore them and avoid them.

But go.

Tom M.

poolboy

Yoda
Country flag
living in a rural area...20 miles from 4 small towns, I'm not used to driving in traffic to begin with and aside from my TR6 I'm usually a passenger with Cormae driving....but the last time I was on my way to the TRials there was a considerable amount of Interstate....2 things about that get my knuckles white ....getting close to a big city where the lanes start getting crowded with all sorts of vehicles. and going thru a big city where everybody but me knows exactly where they are going...other than that Interstate is fine with me.
500 miles a day is doable in the 6...that usually involves 2 or 3 stops...2 for gas and the other is usually just for the bladder

Rod-H

Bronze
Country flag
Or just take a page from Jake and Elwood Blues:
Elwood: "It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses." Jake: "Hit it."

Trevor Triumph

Jedi Knight
Country flag
We have driven the Spitfires from the east side of Phoenix to San Diego area, San Francisco area, as well as many trips around Arizona. When traveling to San Rafael Interstate 5 seemed to be the best choice. Once we were out of the LA basin it wasn't too bad, traffic was not heavy, and we were able to run about 65 mph - sort of staying with the slow side of traffic. The intimidating part was five lanes of everyone trying to pass eveyone else around San Francisco.

One can travel on US60 through Wickenburg to Intersate 10 and near Palm Springs is a twisting road to the south.

bammons

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
My wife and I are retired now and did long discussions about "how" to travel the country to see it. We elected to not utilize any form of camper trailer in lieu of packing up and just go without many fixed reservations. this has worked extremely well. One of our "things" is we do not drive interstates except as necessary. My point is listen to the others above, not only drive off the interstates but actively seek out non interstate driving. you will see much more, enjoy the driving, lower your blood pressure and appreciate the drives. Interstates are for trucks now. Bruce

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
Tough to get from Tucson to SoCal without interstate though I've done it. Out Ajo Hwy to Gila Bend, Old US 80 & the iron bridge, Vulture Mine Rd to west of Wickenberg, Salome Highway and into Parker for the night.

But really I-8 is minimal traffic and few trucks so I really don't mind it. 80 mph with the OD is comfortable.

When do we leave?

glemon

Yoda
Country flag
I have done interstate fairly recently with my Triumph. I would not want to drive through bumper to bumper traffic in a big city (as my wife and I did in our Subaru going east through southern Chicago are a couple years ago) but if you are moving it is not too bad. Like everywhere you have to watch out for and try to anticipate people doing stupid things.

That said if I am not in a hurry I prefer to take the backroads as well.

Rod-H

Bronze
Country flag
Now that we no longer live in The People's Republic of California, we've found a lot of country roads in Texas, A FM designation means Farm to Market road, a RM designation means Ranch to Market, both usually mean a nice drive.

poolboy

Yoda
Country flag
Those Farm to Market roads were a real challenge the first time I drove on them.
I don't care if I was doing 70, when a pickup pulls up right behind you, wanting to go 90 it's expected you'll move over to the shoulder (which is pretty nice, but still a shoulder) and let him go past.
Mind you, you don't slow down when you hit the shoulder, you just move over until the pickup flies past..which doesn't take long....unless there's more than one.

OP
KVH

KVH

Darth Vader
Country flag
Tough to get from Tucson to SoCal without interstate though I've done it. Out Ajo Hwy to Gila Bend, Old US 80 & the iron bridge, Vulture Mine Rd to west of Wickenberg, Salome Highway and into Parker for the night.

But really I-8 is minimal traffic and few trucks so I really don't mind it. 80 mph with the OD is comfortable.

When do we leave?
Hmmm. If you're tempting me, I'm not the least bit hesitant. If you want to make that trip, let's get serious. I'll likely have a passenger, and I'd take my rebuilt "White" with the OD I just installed (and whacked with a hammer to free up). When you hear your phone ring and see my caller ID, you'll know what's on my mind. A stop in Yuma could be good. And another at Janet's Montana Cafe in Alpine. And a few nights on Coronado Island and a lot more. Thinking of the "Blues" Brothers, a half-pack of Marlboro Lights would be perfect, but that's all behind me, and my only vice these days is Scotch, and bottom shelf is just fine.

Last edited: