• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Jefferson 500-photos + videos

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
To see photos and videos from last weeks Jefferson 500 ~Click Here~

Here's pretty good video (below).

uEEW2qA" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

Twosheds

Darth Vader
Thanks for posting the photos and videos, Nial. It was good to talk to you again.

I like your Summit Point line.

What happened to 909 in the Lola Cup race on Saturday afternoon? You pulled off at turn 1.

I went by your car later and a tarp was over the cockpit. No one was around and your van was gone.

Attachments

• 21284.jpg
    21284.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 515

CurtisJ

Jedi Hopeful
Wow. Lots of great photos there! Thanks for posting them.

Summit Point was definitely the place to be last weekend. I just got home late last night and I'm downloading my camera's memory card now... over 2100 hi-res photos, yet remarkably little overlap with what's posted above.

In addition to all the small bore production sports cars, open wheel (formula) cars and sports racers were also well represented. A few of my favorites of those cars: a lovely freshly restored Elva MkVII (~1963), a Brabham Formula B car (circa 1969), a Lotus 69 Formula 3 car (circa ~1971), a very rare GRD sports racer (one of only three ever made, circa 1972), a Chevron that raced at LeMans in 1977, an Apache S2000 car (the first of only six cars made by that British marque), and an exquisite March Formula 2 car (circa 1982). I'm looking forward to closely comparing early Formula Ford chassis designs too: Merlyn, Reynard, Crossle, Macon, Lotus, etc. I ran out of time and camera memory before I even got to some other quite exceptional cars, and I hardly stepped out of the main paddock to see cars that were paddocked elsewhere. Only 152 cars were pre-registered, but that's still WAY more cars than one enthusiast can take-in in a long weekend.

CurtisJ

Jedi Hopeful
Incidentally, I just did a quick count and found that nine of the cars/drivers that participated in the this year's Jefferson 500 have already been featured in BritishRaceCar.com articles. If anyone's curious to check them out, here are direct links:

Tivvy Shenton's 1955 Jaguar XK140 FHC

Tom Grudovich's 1960 Lola Sports Mk1

Dan Leonard's 1949 MG TC Special

John Targett's 1964 MG MGB

Alan Tosler's 1964 MG MGB

Storm Field's 1972 MG MGB-GT-V8

Les Gonda's 1973 MG MGB-GT-V8

Mark Rosenberg's 1959 Peerless GT

Vic Schuster's 1965 Turner Sports MkIII

dougie

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Nial's looked like a great weekend of vintage racing. I hope your mechanical issues were minor. Thanks for posting. BTY how long is the Summit Point track?

Dougie

Twosheds

Darth Vader
CurtisJ said:
a Brabham Formula B car (circa 1969), a Lotus 69 Formula 3 car (circa ~1971),... and an exquisite March Formula 2 car (circa 1982).

CurtisJ, what was the #05 winged formula car? It had Parmalat on the side pods.

CurtisJ

Jedi Hopeful
The car in Parmalat livery was Justin Frick's (1982) March 822. It has a BMW M12/7 2000cc engine. Pity there weren't similar cars for it to race against... I don't have Sunday's results, but on Saturday Justin won the Group 5 sprint race by a 23 second margin. His best lap of 1:14.579 was at an average speed of 96.542mph. Yeah... I photographed that one.

I'm not sure of specific differences between "Formula 2" (822) and "Formula Atlantic" (82A) specifications, but I understand that the same chassis design could and was raced in those two series.

OP
aeronca65t

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
Twosheds said:
....What happened to 909 in the Lola Cup race on Saturday afternoon? You pulled off at turn 1....

Weird problem. The primary winding in my coil burned out. I know that can happen, but it's never happened to me. I had a spare, so no big deal.
Later on Sunday in my last race, Rich in the #37 Midget bashed in my right-rear fender (spinning me in T1). Flaggers waved me back out but the shorted tailight wiring caused funky ignition so I pulled over. Rich is a good guy (we had dinner with him the night before).....it was just a "racing thing" (although he did get a short probation from the driver's committee). I've fixed the crash damage. It ain't a pretty fix, but it'll be OK for Louden in two weeks.

CurtisJ said:
....Justin won the Group 5 sprint race by a 23 second margin. His best lap of 1:14.579 was at an average speed of 96.542mph.

Wow. My fastest lap was 1:38 and my absolute top speed was 101 (only 5 mph faster than his <span style="font-style: italic">average</span>).

By the way, when Tivvy bought that Jag, it had a Chvy six and Powerglide in it.

And I'm not sure if everyone knows what Storm Field (orange MGB-GT V8) does in his other life. He's a well-known TV weatherman here in the east. His Dad is Dr. Frank Field.....also a TV weatherman. Storm is a real prankster....lots of fun.

Speaking of people, it was great to chat with Vic Elford.
And I saw Ray Stone wandering around the pits....he drove in the event last year. Ray is probably one of the best Sprite racers ever.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
WOAH!! Daylight under a Spridget front tire?!?! Seems that pic was at 4:40 in your video, Nial... he seems to have a bit more grunt but somewhat less rear suspension than you. Nice seein' (and FEELIN') your drift thru some of those corners. GREAT vid!

That Ginetta is DOLLY!!

Didn't look to the roster, who was the Duetto pilot?

You guys are havin' waaay too much FUN!!! :thumbsup:

OP
aeronca65t

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
Mine 3-wheels too.
grin.gif
I'll have to try to get some video of it.

The ALFA is owned by a guy names Ray. Forget his last name, but he's a Southampton (NY) native, so he grew up near Bridghampton (we both miss the place). He's neighbours with another Southhampton racer, Rocco, who races the light blue Alpine that I sometimes shoot. Both great guys.

There was also a rhd, yellow GTA and an old, red, drum-brake Giulietta Spider at the event.

There are three Ginettas. They are all stored in a barn in PA at one guy's house. One of the other guys commutes down from Quebec and runs all our events. The 3rd Ginetta racer flies in from the UK (London) and runs most of our events. He says its cheaper than running in the UK, even with the airfare. :shocked:

eschneider

Jedi Warrior
What is the #92 formula junior?

Very cool TD special. Saw it on the british race cars site.

I should know the #97 Morgan... but I don't recognise it.