• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

for $500?

floyd

i know your going to say "Well heck...I don't know with out seeing them!". But I'm going to ask anyway. I came across this ad in the paper. 2 tr6's for sell, parts or project cars. $500 each. I called. One is a 74 with missing body parts, rusty. The other is a 76, with overdrive. Really rusty with some missing body parts. Doesn't know mileage or what condition the frames are in. So I'm thinking....pick them for parts for 75 that I'm in the process of trying to get on the road. Or if they are really in bad shape, part them out. Want kind of market is there for used parts wtih unknown conditions. For ex. the overdrive trany? I'll probably go take a peek tomorrow. He also has stored
5 other Triumphs, a TR6 he drives, couple TR4's and couple TR3's just sitting in nonrunning condition.

Andrew Mace

Staff member
Country flag
Well, even a "core" gearbox with OD would be worth something, hopefully yielding at least an intact mainshaft and rebuildable OD unit! I'd expect frames and body tubs to be largely worthless, but suspension bits and the like might be worth something as well, and engines and diffs could have "core" value.

Whether each is worth $500 is up to you....

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
If the overdrive looks complete with no visible damage you probably can't go too far wrong at $500. If you could remove the top cover and peek inside it might tell you something but I doubt a $500 deal is going to let you go to that much investigation.

Indeed I wouldn't think it would take very much in the way of instruments, taillights, ancillaries, etc to cover your 'investment'.

D

DougF

You can get core values for the block, head, diff., rear shocks, trans., etc. If all are rebuildable, they would probably total around $300.00 per car. Overdrives of course add more value, possibly a lot more depending on condition. It's been a few years since I cored parts, so my values may be off.

TRopic6

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Yes, buy 'em. You can sell bits & pieces to the list! I bought a busted J-OD trans - main box was ruined, but as Andy pointed out, all you really need is a mainshaft and the adapter. I now have a good mainshaft and the TR6-unique housings; the internals are the same as 70s Volvo J-OD units.
There's lots of cores we'll need in future years to keep 'em on the road: driveline stuff, trailing arms, gears, and so on. If you have room, offer $500 for both. I could use a '74 alternator to replace the MGB 15ACR5 unit I'm using now...

Jeff
74 TR6 CF13816U

OP
floyd

floyd

We couldn't hook up today so we are going try here in a few days, I'll post my findings. Thanks for the replies.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
TRopic6 said:
the internals are the same as 70s Volvo J-OD units.
FWIW, there are some very slight differences to watch out for. I discovered last night that the studs that hold the main housing to the adapter on the Volvo are too long for the TR6/Stag adapter; and the holes in the Volvo housing are too short for the Triumph studs.

Also, the Volvo unit I have has different threads for the test port near the solenoid.

TRopic6

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Thanks for the heads-up, Randall. I hope by having the complete TR6 unit to start with allows Volvo-common parts to fix it, like the pump assembly. The J-OD tranny rebuild project is a long way off though!

Jeff