• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

IS $500.00 Too Much?

pware

I have been looking for a good transmission for a 69 GT6. The best deal I have found is $500.00. I think this is a little high for a used transmission. I found a complete engine and tranny on ebay for a TR6 for $349.00 Wonder if it will fit? But on the other hand I dont want a bunch of miss macthed parts. What are you guys thoughts? What would you do? How much should I pay?

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
What kind of guarantee does it come with?

tomgt6

Jedi Warrior
I would say go find a parts car for that. Keep you eyes open in craigs list and other places and you will find one. I have seen 3 gt6 that were for sale all for the price of 1200. Keep looking. Have you tried team triumph in Ohio.

Andrew Mace

Staff member
Country flag
To buy a rebuilt gearbox from Canley Classics in the UK would cost you £268.85, plus a £95.00 core charge, plus shipping (no clue how much that would be). From past experience, I know you'd get a great gearbox. Given the supposed reputation of the GT6 gearbox, I'd be very leery of any such beast that did not come with a guarantee of some sort...which pretty much dismisses a used gearbox from a private party regardless of price!

Meanwhile, a TR6 gearbox can be made to fit the GT6, but it's not easy.

tdskip

Yoda
Country flag
Randall asks the right question here. Be careful about assuming used gears boxes are any good, especially if you don't know the person. I bought one some time ago that was "rebuilt" and it turned out to shiny but worn, and it will be hard to tell until you get it installed.

I'd suggest dealing with someone through a local club, or have one you already own rebuilt. You might get lucky, but...

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
tdskip said:
I bought one some time ago that was "rebuilt" and it turned out to shiny but worn,
I bought a "rebuilt" Stag diff, which turned out to not only <span style="font-weight: bold">not </span>be from a Stag, but to have this inside:

DSCF0044_reduce.jpg

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
You could try this:

https://www.car-part.com

I needed a Spit trans for my 1500 Midget last year (and in a hurry...I had a race coming up).

Found a decent one within 100 miles for $300 using car-par.com

Many (but not all) junk yards will offer a return policy if you get it back fairly soon (the one I bought from had a return policy).
And many will allow you to pull a cover off for internal inspection (I probably could have, but didn't have the time).

When I got home (before installing) I looked inside and all seemed OK.

I agree that the GT6 trans is a weak point.
On the other hand, it's much easier to pull out than doing the same job in my Spridget.
grin.gif

OP
P

pware

No guarantee with the used one. It is a junnk yard for sports cars and I have never heard a bad thing about them but it is used. I did try www.car-part.com a while back and they had a tranny and drive shaft for $750.00. I think I will probally have to go Tom's suggestion of buying a parts car. I do need alot of parts and that may be the most cost effective route. Now I just have to get the misses blessing! Thanks for all the advice.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
BTW, there is a gearbox in my backyard that _might_ be from a GT6. Came with some other parts I bought with the intention of using in my Sports 6 (if the original 1600 proved to be unworkable), but somehow didn't go with the car.

Won't have time this weekend, but I could take a look next weekend if anyone is interested. It's cheap ...

OP
P

pware

I'm Interested. Just let me know when you have a chance. No hurry.
Thanks Randall

billspit

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I see used Spitfire trannys cheap all the time. I guess the more rare status of the GT6s keeps the price up.

Have you considered rebuilding the one you have?

I have a Ford T9 tranny I hope to put in a Spit some day.

EDIT

And if you buy a used one, make sure it is for the GT6. They are hard to distinguish from the Spit tranny.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Andrew Mace said:
What's the serial number prefix?
If I knew that, I'd know whether it was from a GT6!
:square:
I'll try to check soon, honest! But I won't be home until late tonight, then tomorrow night I have to go shopping, then Saturday I'm driving to Vegas for my granddaughter's wedding. Sunday I'll probably be recuperating and so it goes ...

OP
P

pware

I dont have a transmission at all. Someone grabbed it out of the car before I bought it. So far I have a bell housing and a shifter. No drive shaft, seats, rear hatch hinges and I'm sure there is more missing. I have just been hoarding up parts. When I find a deal I buy. I did how ever consider the 5 speed conversion. But I figured if I found a transmission for a good price I would go with that.

billspit

Jedi Knight
Country flag
pware said:
I dont have a transmission at all. Someone grabbed it out of the car before I bought it. So far I have a bell housing and a shifter. No drive shaft, seats, rear hatch hinges and I'm sure there is more missing. I have just been hoarding up parts. When I find a deal I buy. I did how ever consider the 5 speed conversion. But I figured if I found a transmission for a good price I would go with that.

The complete Ford T9 conversion easily cost around $2,800. That's why I trying to do one of the cheap.

Another good source is Ted Schumacher at TSI Imported.

Ph. 800/543-6648 (USA/Canada only)
Ph. 419/384-3022 - tech./general information
FAX 419/384-3272 - 24 hrs
e-mail: tedtsimx@bright.net

OP
P

pware

thanks bill