• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

1 month review: 2012 Fiat 500

Dino_V

Jedi Hopeful
IMG_0023.jpg

Being European and having spent a lot of time on vacation overseas, I have always wanted cars like Fiat, Alfa Romeo, Renault, etc to return to the US. So when I saw that the Fiat was hitted for the US, I needed to take one for a spin
I have owned my 2012 Fiat 500 for over a month now. Has seen the unusual 50 degree December days, rain, snow, cold, etc. Time for a 1 month review of the car and first impressions.
Overall, first thing that stands out is that car meets and exceeds the EPA city/hwy gas mileage. Driving in the city and thru traffic I have noticed 31 mpg all day every day. Get on the highway, throw the manual transmission into 5th and enjoy 40-45mpg, sometimes even slightly higher.
Fortunately, my Fiat was an October 2011 production so the seat and brake fluid recall were already corrected.
I went with the Grigio color, which has a nice metallic touch to it and really makes the car's lines pop. I then decided that the black leather seats with grey inserts were a perfect match for the interior and made everything flow perfect.

IMG_1371.jpg

Interior
First thing that stands out when you enter the car is the speedometer which has 3 layers (information screen in the middle, rpm gauge, and speedometer). I found it to be great as everything is right there and at a quick glance you see everything needed. Everything in the interior flows nicely and much better quality than the other fuel efficient hatchbacks. The panel going across the front of the dashboard has been painted to match the exterior color. Even has the chrome rings around the buttons which add a nice accent. The Bose 7 speaker and amp sound system, sound real good and have not seen another vehicle that compares to the Fiat with a stock sound system anywhere close. The seats are higher up but not to worry as they are extremely comfortable. I was not expecting the sporty bolstered seats to be so comfortable. In addition, the seats do a nice job of hugging you when you feel the need to blast thru some twisties. The Fiat does have a rear seat but don’t expect to fit a full size adult back there. Headroom is not a problem, so don’t worry about your head grazing the top of the roof. While the front seats don’t really offer a concern for height, the bolsters make the seats more snug for some. If you’re a bigger person, you might find yourself not fitting in the seat and sitting on the lower bolsters. Of course the resolution for this would be to go with another model which does not have the sport seats.

IMG_0028.jpg

Performance/Engine/and all that fun stuff
For a car that is such fuel efficient, it still offers a fun, peppy and interesting ride that many others lack. Makes you feel like you’re blasting thru some mountains in Italy. The manual transmission is very easy to shift and very smooth. Which is great because, the car requires constant rowing thru the gears to stay in its powerband and begs to be in the correct gear. I have not found this to be annoying but instead adds to the fun factor. Also, the shift knob design is extremely comfortable. Feels like you are holding an 8 ball in your palm. Manual transmission is a must on these cars, don’t settle for an automatic. The Multiair system gives this 4 cylinder a more aggressive exhaust tone and sounds great. In order to achieve the most fun, hit the sport mode and enjoy. Everything becomes more alive: steering wheel gets tighter and more responsive, and the engine is much more responsive. Hit some twisties and enjoy.

IMG_0031.jpg

Wheels/Brakes
The stock brakes are great and I have not noticed any fading in long distance driving. I am glad they did not put drum brakes in the back and instead kept it with calipers and rotors all around. When I first saw the wheels they caught my attention. Nice design, easy to clean, and looks good on the car. The tires are low profile so extra caution is needed during our Midwest winters. Of course, tire pressure monitor system is also included.

IMG_0032.jpg

Gas mileage
The Fiat has a 10.5 gal fuel tank and takes premium fuel. Of course, if you have a heavy foot you’re not going to get off the chart mileage but still in the mid to upper 20s! Driving moderate in the city I have noticed 28-35 mpg depending on various factors. On the highway 37-50 mpg depending on various factors also. Truly amazing numbers for a car that doesn’t sacrifice fun to achieve them.

Conclusion
So far, I am still enjoying the Fiat as much as I did the first day I drove it. Gives you the feel of a “driver’s car” yet still offers great gas mileage while capturing the Euro feel. Very hard to go places without getting noticed. Everyone wants to check it out, find out what it is, and learn more about it. Unfortunately its size is not accommodating for everyone, especially if you need it to function as a family car. But if you’re looking for a unique, fuel efficient and fun car, take one for a spin. I will continue to update my experiences as I continue to drive it more and report back with a follow-up review.

Happy motoring!
-Dino

PS: I just in the mail today my welcome packet. Cover is same color as my Fiat, and inside it includes a large catalog of accessories to further customize the Fiat. In addition, Fiat sent a USB shaped in the Fiat logo. This plugs into the USB port in the glovebox and records your EcoDrive data.

IMG_0058.jpg

IMG_0059.jpg

IMG_0019.jpg

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
sounds great! My wife is considering the 500 when her Beetle gives up the ghost

70herald

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Glad your enjoying the 500. I see lots of Fiats and am really impressed with how far they have come in recent years.

OP
D

Dino_V

Jedi Hopeful
JPSmit said:
sounds great! My wife is considering the 500 when her Beetle gives up the ghost

You might find yourself taking her car every so often ;-)

70herald said:
Glad your enjoying the 500. I see lots of Fiats and am really impressed with how far they have come in recent years.

Definitely, I agree. I also like that it looks like the original one, which I have always liked the design.

glemon

Yoda
Country flag
Good to read the review, I may hold out for the Abarth, sounds like a hoot, although I like the sporty/economy nature you highlight with the normally aspirated car.

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I got to checkout this model Fiat at a car show yesterday. Yes it does have a back seat, but entry/egress makes it difficult for me to justify it for passengers. Other than that, it is (to me) a city car... I don't know that I would want to make a trip in it.
How about the diesel motor? Will they be bringing it to the US?
Thanks for your detailed write-up of the car!

OP
D

Dino_V

Jedi Hopeful
glemon said:
Good to read the review, I may hold out for the Abarth, sounds like a hoot, although I like the sporty/economy nature you highlight with the normally aspirated car.
Yeah its a give and take on either model. For me, I didn't wait for Abarth because since we already have toy cars, it was nice to have something fun which also is great on gas. I am sure the Abarth will get similar mpg as the Cooper S but hard to drive a turbo car normal and get good mpg for daily driving haha.

Gliderman8 said:
I got to checkout this model Fiat at a car show yesterday. Yes it does have a back seat, but entry/egress makes it difficult for me to justify it for passengers. Other than that, it is (to me) a city car... I don't know that I would want to make a trip in it.
How about the diesel motor? Will they be bringing it to the US?
Thanks for your detailed write-up of the car!

Back seat only fits kids and thats it, or groceries. It actually is comfortable on longer commutes because the seats are comfortable.
Eventually they are mentioning a diesel and a electric version for the US. No ETA as to when exactly that will be.

Glad you all liked the write up.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Dino_V said:
Eventually they are mentioning a diesel and a electric version for the US. No ETA as to when exactly that will be.

speaking of which (and not wanting to hijack the thread)Last Saturday I saw an electric Smart Car - it looked (and sounded) pretty cool!
Electric Smart car

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Dino_V said:

I'm quite certain that the diesel is available in Europe right now... I seem to remember that it was one of the available options when the car was introduced.