• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Engine paint

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Do we have a source for the proper color engine paint for a Bugeye, you know the awful green.

Moss for spray cans but I would like to brush some on in a few spots.

G

Do we have a source for the proper color engine paint for a Bugeye, you know the awful green.

Moss for spray cans but I would like to brush some on in a few spots.

I have always just sprayed it in the cap and dipped my brush.

OP
jlaird

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Ordered from POR, thanks Fred, a cap would not do it.

BlueMax

Jedi Warrior
Por-15 I understand is very toxic, so use it in a very well ventilated area, or ware a respirator.
Also Por-15 has a very short shelf life when the lid is left off container. I found if you drill a small hole in the corner of the lid, wipe or vacuum metal shavings as you drill. Then take an appropriate corresponding wood or metal screw to screw in to hole. What I do is shack can very well before its use, then let it settle for about an hour then remove the screw and pore the appropriate amount into a throwaway cup to apply from, then replace screw for future use. You can clean brush with lacquer thinner or acetone.

HTH

HealeyRick

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Por-15 I understand is very toxic, so use it in a very well ventilated area, or ware a respirator.
Also Por-15 has a very short shelf life when the lid is left off container. I found if you drill a small hole in the corner of the lid, wipe or vacuum metal shavings as you drill. Then take an appropriate corresponding wood or metal screw to screw in to hole. What I do is shack can very well before its use, then let it settle for about an hour then remove the screw and pore the appropriate amount into a throwaway cup to apply from, then replace screw for future use. You can clean brush with lacquer thinner or acetone.

HTH

POR-15 engine paint is a straight enamel paint, it's not the same as the POR-15 Rust Preventative and doesn't carry the same toxicity warnings as the Rust Preventative. Still, I'd read any precautions on the label.

dklawson

Yoda
Consider the following as an extension to Rick's comments on POR.

As mentioned, the engine paint is a THICK enamel (NOT the same as regular POR paint). When applying it to cast surfaces, a bristle brush works well right out of the can. However, this will produce unacceptable results on items like valve covers that are smooth. For smooth surfaces, prep like you would for regular aerosol paint application with a quality primer, fine sanding, and tacking prior to top coating. Do NOT use POR solvent to thin the enamel. Use regular mineral spirits from the hardware store. You will have to judge how much thinning to do based on your preferences and equipment but as much as 50% would not be unusual. Then airbrush the paint onto the surface (a cheap single-action air brush from some place like Harbor Freight will be fine). Wait a while for the mineral spirits to flash and then apply a second coat before the first coat completely dries. If you apply too soon, the paint may run. Apply too late when the first coat is too dry and the second coat will lift the first coat. If you are unhappy with the top coat, wait several days and use mild rubbing compound or glazing compound to buff the surface to the level of gloss you want.

OP
jlaird

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Thanks for that Doug, yep I knew it was not regular POR. I have some casting that needs redone. For stuff smooth like valve cover I think I will continue to use spray can if it matches well.

With the brush on I can clean up bad spots etc with out removeing the engine. After all removing it 7 times is enough.

HealeyRick

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
I find these Preval sprayers (available at Home Despot, etc) to be really good for turning paint in a can to an aerosol. You just need to have the right thinner to reduce it enough to make it sprayable:

PRE267.jpg

nomad

Yoda
Oh thats slick, Rick. I didn't know those Preval spayer's existed! Looks a lot simpler than dirtying up a spray gun.

Kurt.

dklawson

Yoda
The Preval sprayers are nice but the cost of using them adds up. An alternative if you have an air compressor is the Badger-250 single-action air brush that has been around for quite a while. Along with it buy the 1/4" NPT adapter so you can connect it to your air compressor instead of using cans of propellant. The best prices I have seen are on Amazon. Your initial investment will be around $25. You'll find lots of uses for it beyond car work. There are also clones of the cheap Badger air brush on eBay that will cost less. The only disadvantage to them is that they will not accept the more common Badger brand paint jars. That doesn't matter in most circumstances.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag

dklawson

Yoda
I have improvised similar methods to refill cans with air. It never occurred to me to use a tire valve to make the connection. Thanks for posting the link!

OP
jlaird

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
So after drilling the hole stick your air gun kinda in the hole and blow for a bit, do several times over the period of a day. All clean. Remember the kind of can he uses only contains a very volatile liquid, carb cleaner.