• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Engine Block Paint

mallard

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Looking for recommendations for the best engine block paint. I've used the high heat spray can befor with OK results, But after a short time it seems to loose it's gloss and turns a bit to the grey side. Anybody have good luck with black paint that holds up?

pjsmetana

Jedi Warrior
Duplicolor Engine Paint. Comes in a spray can at Advance Auto Parts for about $8 a can. No complaints at all from me yet (at least not with the paint).

dklawson

Yoda
For rattle cans, Duplicolor as above. If you want something quite a bit thicker, buy black engine enamel from POR-15. That stuff is NOT the rust protection product but a VERY thick enamel suitable for brushing on blocks. It can be thinned with mineral spirits for spraying on things like valve covers.

davidk

Jedi Trainee
I've also had good results with POR-15. Just brushed it on.

DSC_0483.jpg

mountainman

Jedi Trainee
I am a big fan of Por-15. Though quite expensive I have used it on the tub inside and out. The complete frame and front suspension[not on the tie rod threads]. Used their engine paint and brake caliphers paint. I don't want anymore rust. From what I read and in talking to a few restorers it is good stuff.
Greg

TonyPanchot

Jedi Trainee
:thumbsup: :iagree:

POR 15 is the way to go

dklawson

Yoda
Just to be clear, I was advocating POR's engine enamel, not POR-15's rust treatment paint. They are very different products.

OP
M

mallard

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Thanks everybody for the information. I think I will try the POR15 engine enamel. I will try to spray it. I don't want it to look thick.

dklawson

Yoda
Try brushing POR enamel on the block before spraying it. It will level VERY nicely without leaving brush strokes. If you want to spray things like the valve cover, thin the POR enamel with mineral spirits to a "good" consistency for spraying. Put down at least two coats. The second coat should be applied before the first coat is completely dry. Even being careful with the timing you may get some wrinkling of the enamel when the second coat is applied. If that happens, allow the paint to dry for a week (or put it under a heat lamp for a day) so the paint hardens. Then use rubbing compound to level out any wrinkles. The results can be very good. However, if you're going for "black", the spray Duplicolor for the valve cover will be a lot easier to deal with.

pjsmetana

Jedi Warrior
That POR15 is decent stuff... I'll agree, but the Duplicolor Engine Enamel is just so easy to use and it looks soooooo good, and cost sooo little! 2 light coats, 2 mins apart, then a semi wet 3rd coat. Let it sit for 10 mins. Check for any spots you might have prayed too light, spray them, then wait an HOUR. The end. You can touch and handle it and whatever you want. No bake time required... like I said, too easy to pass up for anything else.

poolboy

Yoda
Country flag
Anybody have a recommendation for exhaust header paint, other than the Jet Coat; something in a rattle can ?

pjsmetana

Jedi Warrior
poolboy said:
Anybody have a recommendation for exhaust header paint, other than the Jet Coat; something in a rattle can ?

I haven't found one that doesn't get dull after about 8 months.

dklawson

Yoda
poolboy said:

Black grill paint from the home center, seriously. Manifold/header paint just doesn't have any binders in it. It will look OK for a short while and then start to flake off. If you wash your engine, most the paint will come off the exhaust the first time. Grill paint has much higher binder content and in-spite-of the temperature rating being lower... will hold up just fine. If black isn't the color you want, POR does have some (brush on) high-temperature exhaust paints that I've tried. They do seem OK but you spend a lot more for them.

poolboy

Yoda
Country flag
Thanks, fellas.
Doug, I've seen that kind of paint, for BBQ grills and stoves, right ?