• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Engine color and paint?

MadRiver

Jedi Knight
Bronze
Country flag
I know this was discussed recently, but I can't find the threat -- engine color was originally flat black for the 250 and 6, yes? Thanks!

michalotti_tr

Jedi Knight
To the best of my knowledge, all Triumph engines were originally a semi-gloss black. The only exception I am aware of is SAH (later TriumphTune) would paint their Stage I - III a battleship grey.

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
TR3s & 4s also had a model designation hand-painted on the side of the block (below the header, above the starter) in orange paint in about 1.5" letters... e.g. "T R 4" with the '4' being below the 'T' & 'R'. Did 250s & 6s have such markings? Figured if you care enough to ask what finish is correct you might want to check on this detail.

Alan_Myers

Luke Skywalker
[ QUOTE ]
TR3s & 4s also had a model designation hand-painted on the side of the block (below the header, above the starter) in orange paint in about 1.5" letters... e.g. "T R 4" with the '4' being below the 'T' & 'R'.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi Geo,

Really! I've never seen that on TR3/4 (nor any of the 6-cyl. cars). Have you got a photo or is it illustrated in any of the usual "originality" books?

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
Here's the markings on block of my '64 TR4. Only somewhat legible, but at least enough so to get the idea.

I actually thought this might be the work of some machine shop who needed to keep track of which engine this was, except I was pretty sure the engine had never been out of the car. Then I saw a pic somewhere of the original marks and (as they say) 'the penny dropped'.

engine%20markings.JPG

Almost looks like it may have been put on by someone dipping his finger in the paint pot.

ichthos

Darth Vader
Country flag
I had asked the same questions a couple of weeks ago. My car sat for over 25 years ins storage, so most of the paint colors in the engine compartment are clearly unmolested. The only color not clear to me is the engine itself. Eventhough most feedback said it was painted semigloss black, most of the individual parts within the engine compartment are gloss black (stayrods, washer bottle bracket, steering column,brake booster...). It doesn't make sense to me that they would paint the engine color semigloss and the rest of the components gloss black. I looked at older pictures of TR6's, and it looks like it is possible it could be gloss or semi. I am probably making a bigger deal out of it than I should, but I figure if I am going to go to the trouble of painting the parts (using powdercoating when possible), I would like to paint it the original color. I won't have the chance to go to a British car show until July, so I will be quizzing people there also.
Kevin

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Yep - the TR3 that I had also had the red-orange TR3 in large characters on the side of the block. Somewhere in Bill Piggot's book, Original TR3, he explains that the engines were used for a multitude of cars back then, and this was the way they were sorted at the factory.

Mickey

Alan_Myers

Luke Skywalker
Interesting! Looks kinda like finger painting or maybe they borrowed the wife's lipstick. (Or, perhaps it's a cave painting!)

At any rate, I don't think they marked any of the 6 cylinder engines that way.

Alan_Myers

Luke Skywalker
[ QUOTE ]
The only color not clear to me is the engine itself. Even though most feedback said it was painted semigloss black, most of the individual parts within the engine compartment are gloss black (stayrods, washer bottle bracket, steering column,brake booster...). It doesn't make sense to me that they would paint the engine color semigloss and the rest of the components gloss black. I looked at older pictures of TR6's, and it looks like it is possible it could be gloss or semi....
Kevin

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi Kevin,

I'm pretty sure you can find a rattle can of semi-gloss that will give you the most original appearance on all those parts. There *is* some variance in gloss, from brand to brand.

Actually, I wouldn't have been surprised at all to find different sheens on various parts under the hood, when the car was brand new and fresh from the factory. The engines were being built in one plant, the chassis in another and the bodies in still another. Individual parts were being made elsewhere, both by Triumph and other outsourced manufacturers. It all came together in a final assembly area, where the car was completed. So, I think it's very possible, even likely, black was not consistent from part to part.

Take Lucas wiper motors, for example. Some were painted in part with wrinkle finish black, others had a dark grey "hammer" finish paint. Either is correct on some TR models, there was so much variation right from the original manufacturer.

Semi-gloss is usually around 80% gloss, which compares to 90% for gloss and even 95% for high gloss. Low gloss might be 70%, while flat finish might be close to 50%. So called "underhood" black and chassis paints I've seen seem to be in the 70-80% range. But, again, it varies. At least we can say with certainty that it wasn't flat black originally!

Eastwood Co. probably has the widest selection of black paints, but they are pretty pricey. I'd suggest going to several local hardware and auto parts stores and picking up a few different brands of engine paint, then test spray some parts to see which you like best.

Besides "semi-gloss" engine paint, you might also want to check out "radiator paint". It is also semi-gloss, but has a greater amount of pigmentation, so that a relatively light coating can be used aand will allow for best heat transfer from a radiator. IMHO, it would be good for the engine for the same reasons, providing you can get it in a sheen that you like.

BTW, I've occasionally deliberately used a low gloss or even flat black and then top-coated it lightly with semi-gloss clear, to get the best possible sheen match to other parts. After the clear dries enough to compare, a second or even third light coat of clear can be used to "adjust" the glossiness of the part.

trfourtune

Jedi Knight
hey,
my engine has those markings- tr4 - hmmmmm- i thought it might be from a shop (rebuild) but my car sat for 30 yrs after some damage and parked before i bought it. maybe this is original.
rob

trfourtune

Jedi Knight
i've seen blue on some blocks and heads on tr4's. was that original?
rob

Alan_Myers

Luke Skywalker
[ QUOTE ]
i've seen blue on some blocks and heads on tr4's. was that original?
rob

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi Rob,

On TR4 I believe they were all black originally. In fact, as fas as I know, all Triumph engines seemed to be black.

The main oddity of paint color among Triumph, I'm aware of, is TR3 frames. Apparently some were just painted with whatever color happened to be in the paint gun at the time.

apbos

Jedi Knight
Country flag
"In fact, as fas as I know, all Triumph engines seemed to be black" I'll throw in a curve ball. In my research on my car I've found out that in the 1949 roadster green (similar to buick green)was used as an engine color. Another Triumph /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/england.gifpost-war oddity.

Paul

Attachments

• 209777-Engine2.jpg
    209777-Engine2.jpg
    112.4 KB · Views: 107

Alan_Myers

Luke Skywalker
Good point, Paul.

I should have limited my statement to TRs and a few other models that were widely sold in the U.S. from around the mid-1950s through mid-1970s... i.e., what I'm most familiar with.

Yours is a great looking car, by the way. I always really liked the roadsters' styling and features. The "rumble seat" is especially cool!

apbos

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Allen
I bow to the master /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yesnod.gif. But, I cannot claim ownership of the vehicles in my post or my avatar. My avatar picture is what I believe to be the perfect example of a Lumina Green TR. In 1949 the TRA was available in for colors, Black, Lumina Green, Lumina Champange and Lumina Grey. My car came from Coventry; Lumina Green. You can see pictures of my restoration to date at https://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/paulbos@sb.../ph//my_photos. 5 months into a 2 year restoration

Paul

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
Everything that I could find indicated gloss black and after I cleaned portions of my block, the original was gloss black. This attachment is mine so far in the latest engine compartment refinish project.