• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Engine Color

BritCarNutSC

Freshman Member
Hello all, I have searched (problably in the wrong places :smile: for an idea of Engine Color. I am presently building a 79 B with wire wheels, overdrive, and dealer installed AC unit. My question is engine color for the '79. I thought it was black, but the engine out of the car showed some red color, the one from the '80 that is donating it's engine ( and AC) was black-maybe. I will be doing some add-ons, improvements (possibly) and realize that although not completely stock - I would like the block to be original color. I'm using the dual carb setup and oil cooler from the donator '72 and it's engine was also a red color. I am using all the parts I've collected over a few years and building the B I'd like to have. Pictures and articles will be posted on the www.sbmoc.com website. I would apreciate any info and help I can get get from the forum.

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Black was original for your car.

OP
B

BritCarNutSC

Freshman Member
Thanks, I just recently found this forum and I can tell already this is the best forum for what I am attempting. Again Tony, thanks for your quick response.

My next topic will be for an opinion of painting the rubber bumpers the same color as the car (I love the metal version) but think the rubber bumper painted will suit my needs more than converting the car to metal bumpers (which I can get everything I need from the 72). I've seen a few at car shows (all black cars) with the bumpers painted that I thought looked more like what MG should have done. My car will be appliance white (no pigment)with red trimmings.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
I had a customer with a late model B, 1980, IIRC. He had the bumpers painted to match the body, car was "Amana White" and it looked GOOD. Much nicer than the ubiquitous black bumpers. Have since seen many done the same way.

Hi Brit car, I'm in Greenville, SC, and current president of the local Foothills British Car Club, www.fbccsc.org we meet one monthly, one month in Greenville, and then one month in Anderson, This month's meeting will be at Italian Market and Grill on Woods crossing Rd, just of Haywood Rd. in Greenville come join in the fun, the next meeting will be Tuesday July 8th at 7:00 pm, alot of folks get there at early as 6pm to shoot the breeze and kick tires, and then it continues after the meeting, we normally get a good crowd, about 50-60 folks showing up for a meeting, got some fun gatherings comng up soon, and some tech sessions, come join our madness.

ronzet

Jedi Knight
Tony,

'66 B -- Red (Maroon) like the A, Correct?

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P

ronzet

Jedi Knight
Tony,
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:] Yes [/QUOTE]

Thanks..

I love these lengthy replies.... :smirk:

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Verbose ol' coot, inn'e. :jester:

ronzet

Jedi Knight
Doc,

Yep..

Ron

I've seen a couple B's with the engine painted healey green - that looks really nice too.

ronzet

Jedi Knight
Kenney,

The MGC with its Healey six cylinder is painted Healey Green and looks great... I Like the Maroon on my A's engine but the green, although not original, would be a second choice...

billspohn

Jedi Knight
Country flag
ronzet said:
Kenney,

The MGC with its Healey six cylinder is painted Healey Green and looks great... I Like the Maroon on my A's engine but the green, although not original, would be a second choice...

Not if you were familiar with Austins - anyone would think you had stuck a used Cambridge engine in there.......

WA1KWA said:
British car club meeting at an Italian resturant.

Is that a conflict of interest?

Colin

No, you can get green pasta if you like :smile:, let's face it, the Brits are not exactly known for their great food, all the British eateries in town keep going broke :smile:

ronzet

Jedi Knight
Sooo Bill,

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:]Not if you were familiar with Austins - anyone would think you had stuck a used Cambridge engine in there....... [/QUOTE]

I may stand corrected.

I have recently restored a 100-6. I have only seen one MGC under the hood and other than manifold and a few accoutrements, it looked darn close...

So... What six cyl DID they use in the C???

Steve_S

Yoda
The engine in the MGC was not a Healey unit. It was a bit better actually, being slightly shorter and lighter (light being a relative term!) and other internal differences.

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Steve_S said:
The engine in the MGC was not a Healey unit. It was a bit better actually, being slightly shorter and lighter (light being a relative term!) and other internal differences.
That is true....the color makes people think they're the same.

ronzet

Jedi Knight
Well Gentlemen....

Now I feel like a putz... :smirk:

Thanks for the information and the correction. Wow, I could have gone to my grave not knowing that the MGC didn't have a Healey six in it.... :devilgrin:

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
ronzet said:
Well Gentlemen....

Now I feel like a putz... :smirk:

Thanks for the information and the correction. Wow, I could have gone to my grave not knowing that the MGC didn't have a Healey six in it.... :devilgrin:
See how much better your life is now that you've been enlightened...sunrises will be prettier, roses will smell sweeter, the wind in your face will be cooler......hehehehe