• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Original engine color

1965AH3000

Freshman Member
I finished (after 2 years) the outside and interior of my 65
3000, keeping it as original as possible. The car was one of the most original one's I had seen when I started. Now the
motor. I bought 2 cans of engine paint from Moss and it's
a shade of silver green. The original rocker cover and other motor parts are almost a bluish silver. I talked to the original owners and the motor is original. Who is right?

Jerry

Darth Vader
Gold
Country flag
When this discussion pops up the answers may seem strange. Someone quoted Donald Healey about the paint. Donald said something like we bought the paint in 50 gal drums and when we ran out we bought more. It was a mixed color and he was not that concerned about matching drum to drum.

So is your MOSS spray can correct? It is probably close to at least one of the drums. I have some MOSS and have tried some of the brush on version from another supplier. They are slight shades of green apart. Some people have had the paint matched.

Lets see what other answers you get!

Jerry

dougie

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
If you're just doing some "spot touch-up" and want to match the original color, I suggest you take your rocker cover to your local automotive paint supplier and have them match it in an acrylic enamel single stage. Color drift is comment in the paint industry between drum batches especially on the non-critical coatings such as motor paint.

Dougie

germanmichel

Jedi Hopeful
Hello ,
I restore recently my engine. My actual paint shade looks very near the engine picture of this website, but not so shiny like this:
https://www.britishandclassics.com/blog/image.axd?picture=2009%2F2%2Fweb001.JPG

In my very original BT7 was a engine with original engine paint. The same colour is on the middle of the transmission housing. But I believe, that over the years with many thermal cycles the shade becomes more a dark shade. Additional I think, the oil and grease has over the years an influence on the color shade. On my car is the middle part of the transmission housing more olive, than a light green silver. My old engine color looks like the new engine paint,but also darker.
My new engine enamel(one component without hardener) is from AH-Spares in UK and I`m very happy with this color. But for guys who likes the high gloss finish,it needs a second layer with clear coat.

Bye michel - who is a little bit unhappy with his english knowledge

Country flag
You may want to talk with Doug Reid;
mrfinespanner@earthlink.net

He has done quite a bit of research on the correct engine paint color, and agrees that the color varied batch to batch. However, Doug has created a green that he considers to be as close to the original formula as you can get. (I have no connection to his enterprises, just admiration! :yesnod:).

Larry

Legal Bill

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I have a 65 3000 MK III and the Moss color was pretty much spot on for me. My engine was painted by a guy who has restored dozens of these cars and acheived gold at several judgings. When I had to paint two or three items that were not on the engine at the time it was sprayed, I bought the moss spray paint and found it to be indistinguishable from my engine color. I then compared it to some of the original parts that had not yet been stripped of the old paint. After cleaning and polishing the old paint, it looked just like the Moss stuff.

My advice to you is to use the generally accepted green. Just imagine you are either trying to sell the car or have it judged at an event. Which color would be to your advantage? The one that everyone expects to see, or some color that raises eyebrows and requires an explanation about Donald Healey's indifference to different vats of paint purchased in 1965? When faced with a choice about originality of the restoration, take the path most travelled.

germanmichel

Jedi Hopeful
Hello,

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:] "My advice to you is to use the generally accepted green"[/QUOTE]

I totally agree with Legal Bill.

Bye michel-who post from workplace...

OP

1965AH3000

Freshman Member
As usual, good advice from the forum. I'll stay with the
Moss green. Might as well have my motor look like all the
others. I did check cars on Ebay, and it seems every motor
is a different color........in reality, I don't think there was a "standard" color.

Jerry

Darth Vader
Gold
Country flag
Here is another engine which is lighter than the picture above. It was painted with MOSS spray.

Jerry

Attachments

• 19296.jpg
    19296.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 299

Johnny

Darth Vader
Country flag
Nice color Michel. Looks original to me.

I've noticed that with very few miles on a newly painted engine their seems to be "blisters" forming on the top of the valve cover. I suppose due to heat. Is there a special primer to prevent this?

BabaKahawa

Jedi Knight
Jerry;
Looks like are using a texas cooler fan. Have you installed the engine yet?
Are you happy with the fan, it it cooling better and is it quiet?
On the opposite side you have a-lot going on there. Do you have a picture of that side of the engine.
Looks like a generator on top of something. Looks like you have 2 belts there.
I am in the middle of working on my engine due to a fan mishap... any info. would be welcome.

Jerry

Darth Vader
Gold
Country flag
That fan is sold by MOSS for the big Healeys. The engine is installed and has about 750 miles on it now. The fan is not noisy, I also have an electric pusher fan in front of the x bars. The reason: Those two things on the other side are an alternator and compressor for the air conditioning. It gets very hot in the Central Valley of CA in the summer and if I want to drive this car, I decided I NEED air conditioning. It works well, I have two ducts that just blow on my feet. I did just develop a leak in one hose that I have to fit. If you ever decide to do this get the hoses done by a professional. Half of mine (which I crimped, using the tool loaned by the shop) have leaked and required a replacement. The car just got driven in September and made it to a few club events and car shows. I think it needs a few more break in miles. It still does not have the power that my BN4 has (with 3000 engine). But, it is nice to have it back on the road.

Jerry
BN4
BJ8

Attachments

• 19337.jpg
    19337.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 187

Patrick67BJ8

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
Jerry said:
That fan is sold by MOSS for the big Healeys. The engine is installed and has about 750 miles on it now. The fan is not noisy, I also have an electric pusher fan in front of the x bars. The reason: Those two things on the other side are an alternator and compressor for the air conditioning. It gets very hot in the Central Valley of CA in the summer and if I want to drive this car, I decided I NEED air conditioning. It works well, I have two ducts that just blow on my feet. I did just develop a leak in one hose that I have to fit. If you ever decide to do this get the hoses done by a professional. Half of mine (which I crimped, using the tool loaned by the shop) have leaked and required a replacement. The car just got driven in September and made it to a few club events and car shows. I think it needs a few more break in miles. It still does not have the power that my BN4 has (with 3000 engine). But, it is nice to have it back on the road.

Jerry
BN4
BJ8
Here is the link to the Texas Kooler. https://www.mossmotors.com/Shop/ViewProducts.aspx?PlateIndexID=72269&SortOrder=1
Patrick

germanmichel

Jedi Hopeful
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:] Nice color Michel. Looks original to me.

[/QUOTE]

Hello Johnny,

if you mean my postet picture, this was not my engine , it was a web picture.

This is my engine with the AH-Spares paint :

DSC_0031.jpg

and this
DSC_0032.jpg

this ist the original status before :

DSC_0014.jpg

Michel- who currently can not work on the healey, because he is the privat pc supporter of his kids..