• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Longbridge engine color

Country flag
Aw c'mon Jim, show 'im a picture!

There was some controversy about what color this engine should actually be, as some of the earliest BN4s had a very dark green paint, but upon disassembly, traces of the widely accepted lighter green was proof-positive that this was the original color for the numbers matching car that Jim restored.

IMG_1342.jpg

IMG_1330.jpg

IMG_1334.jpg

If you're interested in the build of this engine, I have pictures spread out in three (3) albums:
#1) https://spcarsplus.com/gallery3/index.php/LS_BN4
#2) https://spcarsplus.com/gallery3/index.php/LS_BN4_engine_build
#3) https://spcarsplus.com/gallery3/index.php/LS_BN4_engine_build/Final-push

After opening a thumbnail in each album, a second click on the opened picture will bring up the high resolution image, if you're looking for more detail.

DerekJ

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
It depends on when your Longbridge BN4 was actually built. From research I have done it appears that Morris Green engine paint first appeared when the 6 port head was introduced in November 1957. The paint continued until sometime in Jan/Feb 1958 before the light green metallic was re-introduced. I am not aware of any 'integral head' engines ever being painted Morris Green and the latest chassis/engine number for a Morris Green car that I am aware of is 56053.

OP
C

ch47insp

Freshman Member
Country flag
I have yet to take delivery of my BN4 but I am interested in preserving the originallity when I work on it. Am I correct in thinking that the early BN4 engine color is the same as the BT7 engine color?
Great forum and thanks for your input.
George

OP
C

ch47insp

Freshman Member
Country flag
I do not have access to the engine number as I have just received notice that the car is being picked up today and the previous owner could not find the engine number but I believe that it was built in the first couple of months in 1957. I should have more information in a week or so when the car arrives at it's new home.
Thanks

healeyblue

Jedi Warrior
Gold
Country flag
Well if it is the original engine then the engine number will be the same as the vin. Our engine number is 34099 and our VIN is BN4L - O - 34099.

healey106

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I have a question about the color of the heat shield for the Longbridge cars. Per the 2016 Concours Guide, p 33 it states - "The heat shield was painted red (same color as the fan) and had no asbestos inner liner. The reason that the shield is a different color is that it could not be mounted until after the carbs were fitted. The heat shield covers the bottom securing bolts for the carbs. This is why it was not painted with the engine. This is also the reason that the heater tube is not green, as it was mounted after the carbs on the upper carburetors studs."
Has anyone found a red heat shield? my Longbridge from April 57 has a green heat shield and it looks like it has never, ever been red. What is the opinion of other Longbridge owners?

healey106

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I should have read that earlier response, since I actually posted it from the 2015 Concours guide, which is what has been included in the 2016 Guide. I am now just trying to track down some Longbridge owners who actually have this red heat shield on their Longbridge. :driving:

DerekJ

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
I have never seen one. I'd like to see an original photo if one exists. The 100-Six brochure for the Longbridge 100-Six has a technical illustration of the engine. The fan guard is painted red but the heat shield isn't.

Country flag
I have a question about the color of the heat shield for the Longbridge cars. Per the 2016 Concours Guide, p 33 it states - "The heat shield was painted red (same color as the fan) and had no asbestos inner liner. The reason that the shield is a different color is that it could not be mounted until after the carbs were fitted. The heat shield covers the bottom securing bolts for the carbs. This is why it was not painted with the engine. This is also the reason that the heater tube is not green, as it was mounted after the carbs on the upper carburetors studs."
Has anyone found a red heat shield? my Longbridge from April 57 has a green heat shield and it looks like it has never, ever been red. What is the opinion of other Longbridge owners?
Well, it does not actually "cover up" the bottom studs, but you can certainly reach them easier without the heat shield in place. You can see the hi-res image from underneath here (click on the opened pic for maximum image size): https://spcarsplus.com/gallery3/var/albums/LS_BN4_engine_build/Final-push/IMG_1335.jpg?m=1316905154

Obviously these pictures are now old, as am I__and I've slept since they were taken__but if I had found any evidence on that particular heat shield that it was ever red, I would've questioned it. It must've still had been, or shown traces of green paint, so it was repainted green as was the engine. I have a pretty extensive library of Healey Marque books accumulated over the last four (4) decades, and I used everything that was available to me during the research of building that engine. Oh I wasn't concerned in the least about the mechanical stuff, that part's easy and second nature, but determining the finishes of the individual components was akin to participating in an archaeological dig; I was thoroughly invested and I enjoyed it.

The one obvious liberty__that nobody's ever mentioned, here at least__was that I was supplied with a Lucas Sports Coil, whereas a stock coil and bracket would've been engine color too, IIRC.

I think the biggest takeaway here, is that Albert, Bertrand, or Christopher (random guess at the factory worker's names) would've used whatever paints were closest to them at the time, it was just a workaday job for those blokes, never dreaming that someone in the distant future would even care. I know we've seen exceptions to accepted practices and finishes before.