• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Easiest way to check refill oil in transmission?

TRnorwegian

I've only driven forty miles since aquiring the car, and since these transmissions is sweaty, I wonder how much oil is hidden inside. How do I check and refill?

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Jack stands or a lift.
Think the plug is on the drivers side.

poolboy

Yoda
Country flag
Anders, I'd think that since the car is new to you and who knows how good the POs' maintenance was that you'd want to replace all the fluids in the drive train.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
:iagree: While you are at it, install a magnetic drain plug.

Not sure if it's available in Norway, but here in the US, most auto parts stores sell a plastic pump that fits into the top of the bottle of gear oil, with a plastic hose and nozzle that will clip into the fill port. Each full stroke of the pump is one ounce. Makes a relatively easy way to fill the gearbox, once you've got the car up on stands (or a lift). And since you can measure how much goes in, you don't have to have the car level.

The stock fill plug (which is also where you check the level) is a square-headed pipe plug. It's kind of easy to round off with an open end wrench; and an ordinary box end wrench doesn't fit the square very well. My favorite tool for it is an 8-point 7/16" socket and breaker bar. Most likely you'll want to replace the plug, as they are generally somewhat mangled. Personally, I like to replace them with a "hex socket" pipe plug, which is hardened and turns with an Allen key (aka hex key).

Here's a (poor) photo of the fill plug, lifted from the article by Larry Young & Sam Clark on the VTR web site.

OP
TRnorwegian

TRnorwegian

So if I unscrew this fill plug on side of the transmission, the drivers side of the car, how will I know how much oil is hidden inside?
I suppose when I change oil, I just fill the recommended number of gallons, but if sweating, one just top it off untill the oil comes pouring out?

What type of filling remedy to get the oil into the opening?

BobbyD

Jedi Knight
Anders,
Here's a better picture. The black arrow points to the drain plug while the orange arrow points to the fill plug. If you re-read Randall's post above, he explains that you need to get a "special" hand pump that is easily found at any auto parts store or at a Marine/Boat shop. An empty gearbox holds 1.13 liters and a gearbox w/OD holds 2.0 liters.

TrannyPlugs.jpg

71tr

Jedi Warrior
Don't you just fill the tranny until gear oil begins to seep out the fill hole?

tdskip

Yoda
Country flag
71tr said:
Don't you just fill the tranny until gear oil begins to seep out the fill hole?

Yes (on a level surface).

And this may spark debate (and I may be wrong here) but I've been told to use Hypoid 80/90 GL4 not GL5 when refilling.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
If you just want to check the level, you'll need something to poke through the fill hole (with the car level). I use my little finger (pinkie); if I can touch the oil inside that way, there is "enough".

Don Elliott

Obi Wan
On a TR3A that I restored, I cut a hole in side of the the tunnel and access the fill plug that way. The rubber plug that fills this large hole is the same as used for the jack holes in the floor pans.

Attachments

• 16245.jpg
    16245.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 379

JFS

Jedi Warrior
Bronze
Country flag
A hole can be drilled and plugged in the TR6 exactly the same as Don shows for the TR3. When checking the oil from below, a paper clip bent to a 90 degree angle with the end wrapped with good sticky masking tape can be inserted then read to show the oil level -- just make sure the tape is well secured to the clip!

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
As an alternative to pumping the oil in... I have used a funnel and a short length of clear tubing with the funnel positioned in the engine compartment (down below the fuel pump on a TR3 -- similar location on a 6 I suppose).

I now have a hole in the tunnel similar to what Don shows (though smaller and using the tunnel plug from a TR3-4) and that is really the easiest method of all.

poolboy

Yoda
Country flag
A long plastic tube, one end in the filler hole and the other over the nipple of a squeeze bottle of oil.
Get enough tubing so that you can stand near the door and high enough to have gravity in your favor. It may prove to be a 2 person job, though; one to squeeze and the other to keep the hose in the hole.
I used this method until I found out about the pump Randall spoke of.

fogdot

Jedi Hopeful
I tried the pump that fits in the oil bottle, and found it to be messy, especially when lying below the car.
I got a 12v. pump from Harbor Freight, rigged a pushbutton switch, and plumbed it with a needle valve to control flow rate, and it works great, including rear end filling.
I can stick the suction tube down the side-flow radiator of my Stag and drain the system a lot tidier than opening a draincock.
Doing a quickie oil change every 2500 miles involves putting the suction tube down the dipstick tube. (Every other oil change involves draining from below and changing the filter)
I purge the system with used motor oil after using it for odd fluids.
https://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=9576

tdskip

Yoda
Country flag
Fogdot - how long does it take to fill the gearbox or diff?

Any issues with the pump moving a thick oil like use in the gear box?

fogdot

Jedi Hopeful
Here are 4 pix of my setup. No problem moving 90 wt. It pumps fast, but not uncontrolably fast. It is rated at 240 gph. I put a valve on the output, so it may take a minute or so to fill a trans. Note the micro toggle switch I put into the handle. I like my home made tool.
https://s562.photobucket.com/albums/ss63/Kanay/?action=view&current=DSCN6452.jpg
https://s562.photobucket.com/albums/ss63/Kanay/?action=view&current=DSCN6453.jpg
https://s562.photobucket.com/albums/ss63/Kanay/?action=view&current=DSCN6454.jpg
https://s562.photobucket.com/albums/ss63/Kanay/?action=view&current=DSCN6455.jpg
Dave

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Don Elliott said:
On a TR3A that I restored,
On mine, I rebuilt the original trans cover (with a dipstick) with TR6 rods & forks to use on the TR6 transmission I installed. Now I can just pop the rubber body plug out, check the dipstick, and pour from the bottle.