• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A Finished my TR3! Thanks to you guys... check it out!

Joel Lester

Country flag
It took me 2 and a half years but I got'r done. Special thanks to a lot of you guys who gave me advice and perspectives throughout. Only thing left is to mount the hardtop but the hardware kit from The roadster factory is on backorder. Summer driving without a top is OK with me!
She's got the 89mm forged pistons, Newman fast road cam, narrow belt kit, alternator conversion, electric fuel pump, CSI electronic distributor, urethane suspension bushings throughout, every inch of electrical wire and hydraulic lines is new. Basically everything was taken apart and put back together. I've still got to break-in the engine because I only have 100 miles on it but I'll tell you what - it is far peppier than I would have expected. She really scoots!
John - my man from Texas... Thanks a ton for all your advice!

A couple of things you may notice that are different - Black TR6 wheels with custom baby moons, black fender beading. Oh, and this thing sounds mean - 8 inch cherry bomb that really accentuates a deep throaty exhaust note (like a Hardly Davidson Motorcycle).

TR3 done.jpg

TR3done2.jpg

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Lovely, Joel! The black and red combo has always been one of my favorites. Here's to many enjoyable miles ahead! :cheers:

Mickey

OP
Joel Lester

Joel Lester

Country flag
I'd love to do a video.... In fact, I was thinking of doing a series of YouTube videos and each episode would review each of the various upgrades I did. That was one of things that caused me a bit of grief during the restoration - deciding which upgrades are worth it and which are not. I could see where that would be of value to anyone doing one of these restorations in the future.

DavidApp

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
That looks Great. Congratulations.

Do you just have the Cherry Bomb or that plus the center muffler?
The TR2/3 I had in England in the 1970s had the single silencer that was standard on the TR2 and it was LOUD.

David

OP
Joel Lester

Joel Lester

Country flag
Just the single cherry bomb. Nothing else. Yes. I would say it is loud but only when I get on the throttle. Most of the time lumbering along in third or fourth gear at lower RPM it just purrs and isn’t that loud at all.
Thanks for asking!
Joel

OP
Joel Lester

Joel Lester

Country flag
One great thing about these wheels is the cost. I got those used TR6 wheels for only $50 each! I cleaned them up and painted them. I figured it was low risk if it didn’t turn out well.

sp53

Yoda
Country flag
Hi Joel I am surprised how many tr3s live up in Sannich on Vancouver Island. I have bought many nice parts out of there over the years. Is it because the island is kind of British?

steve

OP
Joel Lester

Joel Lester

Country flag
Haha! Yeah... I think it's for a couple of reasons... the British heritage is one thing but I also think that there are a lot of "older" car guys around here and they remember these cars when they were in high school. I feel like one of the younger guys... I'm 59 years old now. A fellow I met at one of the car shows was planning to sell his TR3 because he was 88 years old and getting under the car let alone getting himself up off the ground was too much. His car was absolutely beautiful and I heard he has since sold it.
Joel

RonC

Freshman Member
Country flag
Joel,
Congrats on getting the car on road and it looks great. You must feel pretty proud you tackled this yourself and especially a black car! Wheels are a standout statement.

Are you going to show it off at Brits on the Beach up here in Ladysmith on July 9/23? Will need to discuss the hardtop project since I will be doing mine this winter. Actually I now have 2 steel hardtops. Will use the one that is a good mate to my car.