• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Wedge early/late tr7 differences

philman

Jedi Knight
i decided to replace the ball joints on my '76 fhc and ended up having to drop the cross member to pull off one of the lower control arms. just for fun i lined it up next to the cross member off an '81. it looks like the engine lays over more on the later cars.

so does this mean that to use this cross member on my fhc that i would have to also change over to the 5 speed transmission and rear axle?

i have all the components to do this, but the four speed seems a more spirited driver than the five speed in my '81 was.

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Hi, Philman -

According to the Rimmer's catalog I have, there was a change in the crossmembers for '77. I assume that was due to the changeover to the five speed at the time. In Piggot's book he mentions the difficulty in swapping a five-speed into an earlier car, so maybe this was one of the factors.

I'll be curious to hear what more you find out.

Mickey

tr8todd

Jedi Knight
I never noticed a difference between the two, but to be honest, most of my experience is converting them to TR8 subframes. This requires grinding off the TR7 lower engine mount and adding the TR8 engine mounts. In the past, I have converted a couple of four speed cars to five speed cars without changing the subframe. If it looks like a big difference, I suppose you could cut a reweld the mount where it needs to be. TR7 subframes are plentiful and can be had for about $50.00. If you want to keep the much weaker 4 speed stuff, perhaps it would be better to just score an early subframe.

OP
philman

philman

Jedi Knight
on the newer cross member the left motor mount is different, the rubber mount on the newer mount sits lower, so you would have to change the bracked that fastens to the oilpan which seems to set the motor at the right angle and height. the newer cross member also has no bracket for fastening the torque strut used on the left side of the older motors. but since the newer motors omitted this is it really necessary? I have photos of the old and new cross members and motor mounts side by side i'll upload soon.

i decided to try the newer cross member because somebody had previously done a poor job of repairing the older crossmember. i'll see if it is a direct swap out. oh, i stayed with the four speed. i decided that if i was to convert to the 5 speed i'll go ahead and put in my 3.5 liter engine also. but that project is three cars down the line.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
V MGB Replace late intake manifold angled breather with early model straight? MG 1
T TR2/3/3A Early/Late Starter? Triumph 6
Michael Oritt Spridget Differential Carrier--early versus late question Spridgets 1
Mickey Richaud Early [late 30's?] 10 Spotted 0
D Late to early bumper swap Triumph 10
dklawson 150 CD Carb Floats - Early vs Late ? Triumph 2
glemon TR6 TR250/early TR6 v. late TR6 Different Speedo Ratio Triumph 4
BobbyD TR6 Early vs Late TR6 Interior Panel Differences? Triumph 5
A Early splines on late spindles-bearing question Austin Healey 3
1 MGB MGB: early or late? MG 7
A TR6 TR6--late/early model head question. Triumph 8
A Headgasket , difference between late and early ?? Triumph 2
T Early engind / late Transmission Triumph 5
S TR2/3/3A differential hubs early tr3 and tr2 Triumph 22
S TR2/3/3A Tr2 and early tr3 differential. Triumph 10
C Wanted Early MGB soft top and/or tonneaus, condition not very important MG Classifieds 0
drooartz Early 60's Bentley S3, maintainable? Other British Cars 13
mctriumph For Sale Odd bit for Tr3 and early 3A Triumph Classifieds 0
Joel Lester TR2/3/3A Is "later" style rear view mirror taller than the "early" style? Triumph 6
G TR2/3/3A TR3 starter disassembly rebuild early M428G bomb Triumph 6
vpanza TR2/3/3A EARLY TR3 hubs for wire wheel????? Triumph 5
mctriumph For Sale hood for early Tr4 Triumph Classifieds 0
Racer-X- Looking for old parts catalog(ue)s with listings/part numbers for early 1960s Vanden Plas 4 Litre Princess Restoration & Tools 3
S TR2/3/3A early tr3 and tr2 kick panels Triumph 3
S TR2/3/3A TR2 and early TR3 wipers Triumph 7
9 TR5/TR250 What is this? Appears to be aluminum fuel cap for TR250 and early TR6 Triumph 13
drooartz MGB Early tail lights on later car MG 17
T Wanted: Early BN1 Sidescreens Austin Healey 2
S TR2/3/3A Rebuilding the early tr3 starter Triumph 5
R For Sale Original AC Ace/Cobra seats. Early 60's, hand made Leveroll by A.W. Chapman, London Other British Classifieds 12
J TR2/3/3A Early Lucas Ignition Switch Triumph 4
J Early BJ8 Armrest Latch Austin Healey 2
B Austin-Healey early 3000 BJ8 Electrical Diagram Austin Healey 0
Boink Early Mini Fuel Gauge - adjusting it British Motor Corp 0
A Early 1967 AH Sprite - installing steering column and new directional switch? Spridgets 0
A TR2/3/3A Early TR3 starter (bomb style) bushings sizes Triumph 7
JPSmit Pre-War Is it too early to write Santa? 1933 MG J1 MG 13
Twit early TR4 Crank Handle wanted Triumph Classifieds 0
T Early BJ7 Vent Window Seal Austin Healey 2
S For Sale Early Sprite & Midget Speedometer/Tachometer/Generator etc. Spridgets Classified 2
Twit TR4/4A early tr4 check straps Triumph 4
oldbagpipe Wanted Early TR4 Silver [Aluminum] Dash Cluster Triumph Classifieds 1
rr64 Wanted Early MGB Inner Steering Track Rods Wanted MG Classifieds 1
oldbagpipe Located Early TR4 Glove Box Hinges Triumph Classifieds 0
PAUL161 MGB Early B Banjo Rear Gears MG 2
R TR4/4A Early TR4 seat pans Triumph 26
oldbagpipe SOLD!! Early TR4 Short Bubble [Bulge] Bonnet/Hood Triumph Classifieds 5
HealeyRick Early Healey History Austin Healey 2
red57 Wanted WTB Early Austin Healey Horns Austin Healey Classifieds 1
K MG Midget Early and Later model rear brake shoes.... Spridgets 2