• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Late to early bumper swap

Darel

I'm sure this has been asked a million times, but how hard is a bumper swap on later TR6s? Basically, any option to get rid of the Dolly Partons. Do the boobs unbolt and leave a fairly clean look when off? Can you do an early bumper swap without much difficulty, either changing the marker lights and the bumper height, or by simply mounting the older bumper in the newer bumper's place with the newer lights? Finally, what is left behind when you remove the bumper completely - how much bodywork is involved to make it look nice without a bumper at all? I have a line on a '75 with a good body for a really nice price, but I'm getting very hung up on the later style bumpers. Just want to know what my options are. I've had several LBCs (and a couple of BBCs) but this would be my first Triumph. Thanks!

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
...I'll look for a picture.

Here's a couple of views (car actually changed owners from one pic to the next)...

TR6Rear_zps8e886f8c.jpg

TR6Front_zpsda7280c9.jpg

As I recall, this is a '74. Bonus points if you can identify the 2 Forum members in the first photo.

OP
D

Darel

So this is just from removing the rubber bumper extensions? Or a complete changeover of bumper and lights?

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
So this is just from removing the rubber bumper extensions? Or a complete changeover of bumper and lights?

Same bumper as before, did not remove the bumper to do this. All we did was remove parts, specifically the bits that hold those big rubber doohickeys on.

PS - Love this spell-checker. Who knew there is actually a correct way to spell doohickey?

OP
D

Darel

Wow, it looks like they were never installed in the first place! No holes or anything? Done!

mrv8q

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Hey, Darel, on a '74, (not a '74 1/2), you can unbolt the rubber Dagmars, but that leaves the metal plate the Dagmars bolted to. You must remove the bumpers themselves to remove the plate. That leaves 2 holes on each side of the bumper; you can fill with chrome caps, for example. Not fun, but doable to remove the bumpers. I have a pic somewhere to show the inaccessible bolts.

Don't know how much different the '74.5-'76 bumpers are...

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Warning Thread Stealing going on

By the way it does have a LBC in it

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
V MGB Replace late intake manifold angled breather with early model straight? MG 1
T TR2/3/3A Early/Late Starter? Triumph 6
Michael Oritt Spridget Differential Carrier--early versus late question Spridgets 1
Mickey Richaud Early [late 30's?] 10 Spotted 0
dklawson 150 CD Carb Floats - Early vs Late ? Triumph 2
glemon TR6 TR250/early TR6 v. late TR6 Different Speedo Ratio Triumph 4
BobbyD TR6 Early vs Late TR6 Interior Panel Differences? Triumph 5
A Early splines on late spindles-bearing question Austin Healey 3
1 MGB MGB: early or late? MG 7
A TR6 TR6--late/early model head question. Triumph 8
philman Wedge early/late tr7 differences Triumph 3
A Headgasket , difference between late and early ?? Triumph 2
T Early engind / late Transmission Triumph 5
C What to do with my late father's Healey 100 Austin Healey 5
K TR6 TR6 late rims wanted Triumph 0
M Need help removing the pinion assembly from a late 1275 steering rack Spridgets 7
B Austin-Healey late 3000 BJ8 Electrical Diagram Austin Healey 1
WHT Late BJ8 Seat Belt Mounting Points Austin Healey 8
D Wanted WTB: Late Triumph Spitfire Top Frame Triumph Classifieds 8
T TR4/4A Recommendation on top for a late TR4A Triumph 8
steveg TR6 Late Wiper/Washer Switch - What Happened? Triumph 3
R 3-point seat belts on late production BT7 MKII Austin Healey 7
T For Sale Triumph TR6 N.O.S engine block [late] Triumph Classifieds 2
M TR2/3/3A Upper Fulcrum Orientation On TR3A with Late TR4 Upper Control Arms Triumph 6
M Wanted WTB Late model TR6 Front Brake Caliper Brackets Triumph Classifieds 0
B Wanted WTB: TR3 Late model-"Round bottom" door Triumph Classifieds 4
crispy How to Remove the Exhaust Manifold?? [late BJ8] Austin Healey 27
Alfred E. Neuman Late Healey 3000 Spotted 0
JPSmit Late night Benz [no pics] Other Cars 3
B Wanted Late TR6 Gearbox frame Crossmember Triumph Classifieds 1
M TR2/3/3A Late 57 Production with a Small Mouth Apron Triumph 16
K Wanted W.T.B. Late 100 BN1-BN2 DOOR HINGE Austin Healey Classifieds 0
L For Sale late tr4a IRS project Triumph Classifieds 0
Marvin Gruber Mounting info needed for late BJ8 license plate holder Austin Healey 9
S Late 1930s Business Coupe Other Cars 1
tr3guy TR2/3/3A Late TR3A, TR3B windshield assemply Triumph 5
TR3driver TR2/3/3A Late TR3A fuse box mounting Triumph 10
T TR2/3/3A Late Fuel Tank in Pre-TS60000 TR3A Triumph 3
B TR4/4A Late TR4A - Anyone know what this is ??? Triumph 10
Joe Reed MGB DIY Late MGB Mud Shield MG 0
eschneider Any late-model Mercedes owners willing to review new brake pads/ rotors? Other Cars 4
L WTB - rear leaf spring, late model Sprite / Midget Spridgets 8
Keoke SEE it is never too late Austin Healey 3
T TR2/3/3A Has anyone put late TR4/4A upper A-arms and ball joints on TR3? Triumph 3
wkilleffer MGB brake light switches of late Restoration & Tools 3
B TR6 Vacuum retard late TR6 Triumph 4
B TR6 Is the "separation tank" in late model TR6's necessary? Triumph 5
G Late model head light circuit Spridgets 3
af3683 TR2/3/3A Late TR3 Starter Triumph 3
B Spitfire How do you replace U Joint on late model Spitfire OD Prop/Drive shaft? Triumph 7