• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Drove my B for the first time today!

Camshaft

Jedi Knight
Last night I was up until nearly midnight installing a seatbelt, seat and my top. Today I got home and drove it for the very first time! She's running great, and all of the electrics seem to be in order. I'm taking her to school tomorrow. It's official...i'm addicted!

David64MGB

How long have you had it? What was your path to this milestone? I haven't driven mine in 23 years, so I am jealous.

R6MGS

Yoda
Score!...Although I doubt I'd have had the restraint to install a top and seatbelt before driving it.

BTW: That addiction, watch it...Soon you'll be measuring the garage and driveway to calculate just how many of these things you can fit.

OP
Camshaft

Camshaft

Jedi Knight
I adopted Charlotte about a month ago. After I installed a new SU electronic pump she fired right up. Next up is Fiero seats.

My 2 1/2 car garage is currently inhabited by my B, my Mustang, and my parent's Midget. Theoretically, there's space in front of the Mustang to fit a Mini or a Minor. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devilgrin.gif

R6MGS

Yoda
pssh..2.5 car garage is good for at least 4 cars....i've got 3 MG's and a Jag in my 2 car garage...Sure I have to borrow a trick or two from the duke boys to get in and out of them, but it's worth it.

Steve_S

Yoda
I have four in my 2-car garage. I smell a GT next! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif Congrats on getting the car on the road. It's a great feeling, isn't it?

OP
Camshaft

Camshaft

Jedi Knight
Steve, I thought you had five in your garage!

She's still running great, handling is good, minor body roll (I see a front sway bar in the near future). At school this morning I couldn't get in the building! I must have popped my hood a dozen times.

"What is it?"

"What did it cost?"

"What kind of mileage does it get?"

"Is it fast?"

"What the heck is it?"

I love my car. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

vping

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
Congrats.

Had 4 at one point in my 2 car and did not have the advantage of lifts. Down to 2 with an XJ6 takiing up most of the room as well as my 2 HD's.

Would love to see pics and hear more about how you got to where you are.

GB1

Yoda
Country flag
That is great news and glad to hear that you are enjoying it.

I am closing on a place with a two car garage and have been pondering how many I can fit, and if I could squeeze a few in the backyard with a temporary covering. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Patrick

Steve_S

Yoda
Technically I can squeeze five in, but it ain't easy. It takes a few runs to get that last one in safely, and it has to be pushed by the bumper. There is only about 2-3 inches between cars!

Regarding handling, the best thing you could do is to lower the car to early specs, before the US made them raise the poor things up.

R6MGS

Yoda
[ QUOTE ]
Technically I can squeeze five in, but it ain't easy. It takes a few runs to get that last one in safely, and it has to be pushed by the bumper. There is only about 2-3 inches between cars!

Thats how it is here....But with a max of 4...No lifts thou.

Regarding handling, the best thing you could do is to lower the car to early specs, before the US made them raise the poor things up.

[/ QUOTE ]

OP
Camshaft

Camshaft

Jedi Knight
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Lowering the car is in the long-term plans for the car along with the Spax conversion. I found out that my car has never had a sway bar up front. I found one on eBay from a 1978 for pretty cheap. I assume it will fit, right?

Joe Reed

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Well, '78 sway bars will fit....but I don't think it's as easy as that. I don't believe the early RBs were set up for them, so the attachements may not be in place already -. If that's the case, you'll have a bit more work to do (like A-arms) than just bolting the bar in place. I could be wrong, though...if the front bar was an option it could be a bolt-in - but I don't think it was.

If you fit the front bar, you'll probably want to fit the rear bar too to avoid upsetting the handling balance - although that also isn't a bolt-in job. I believe you'd need a later rear axle for starters..

jackq

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I try to alterante driving my B roadster one week and my CGT the next..but I'm worried about getting the C damaged again so in the past two months have put ...maybe..150 miles on it. Being I'm going out of the customer service business..my shop can hold at least 20..this week-end both my 911s and all the MGs go inside as the weather is changing. One work bay has the rack, overhead hoist..big stuff but can easily hold six without being cramped..three more if hail or some other crap blows thru. Plus...three fit in the paint booth.

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
That's one heck of a hobby shop you got there Jack.

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Attachments aren't there for the rear sway bar.

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Yep - you'll need to get the front A-arms though if yours doesn't have the correct ones....but you should already have a front bar.

OP
Camshaft

Camshaft

Jedi Knight
I don't see one on the car. Where can I find the proper A-arms? How can I tell if I have the right A-arms?

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
I've got em used, Moss has em new....you should have reinforced holes in in them about midway or so between the ends - a little closer to the outer end.