• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Cooling System

QuickSilver

Jedi Trainee
I am missing what appears to be the following Moss part numbers on my steed:

68 458-195 $30.95
MUD SHIELD

69 475-255 $44.95
LOWER AIR DUCT PANEL

40 282-905 $4.95
SEAL, radiator to support
1968-76

Will these after my subpar cooling performance in 100 degree weather in Dallas?

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
You need all 3....every piece of the cooling system has an important role to play in keeping an MGB cool....without one, the system doesn't work effectively.

OP
QuickSilver

QuickSilver

Jedi Trainee
Excellent, thanks gents.

I have one last question.

Could I expect to drive my MGB in 110 degrees outside weather and not have the temp gauge approach the red zone or this is a fruitless effort?

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Yep! My '79 is totally stock & never overheats in any type weather...I've driven it from Kansas to San Antonio in the hottest of weather; from Kansas to Mississippi in blowing snow; all across Canada & Alaska & in everyday traffic.....if the setup is correct, it should operate just like any other car.

davester

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
I don't have any of those parts on my '71 GT and the Moss part number listing only shows that

40 282-905 $4.95
1968-76

is needed for my year. I can't recall seeing any of these parts on any Bs and I just looked through a whole slew of engine compartment pix on google and can't see them there either. However, my GT does seem to be running hot, and this after a backflush, new thermostat, tuneup, etc. Is there any easy way to quickly fabricate that part...what is it made of exactly and does anyone have pictures. If I can make it out of something laying around the garage that would save me the hassle of ordering from Moss.

Another thing...since my car got back on the road last week, the temp gauge has been up above the 3/4 mark. I'm wondering if it is really overheating or if that is simply a bad sender. Has anyone figured out a good way to calibrate the sender/gauge? I have one of those digital thermometer BBQ forks and had a thought that there must be some easy way to tap into the coolant flow with it while the engine is running.

OP
QuickSilver

QuickSilver

Jedi Trainee
tony barnhill said:
Yep! My '79 is totally stock & never overheats in any type weather...I've driven it from Kansas to San Antonio in the hottest of weather; from Kansas to Mississippi in blowing snow; all across Canada & Alaska & in everyday traffic.....<span style="font-weight: bold">if the setup is correct, it should operate just like any other car</span>.

Thank you, that's what I wanted to know.

OP
QuickSilver

QuickSilver

Jedi Trainee
davester said:
I don't have any of those parts on my '71 GT and the Moss part number listing only shows that

40 282-905 $4.95
1968-76

is needed for my year. I can't recall seeing any of these parts on any Bs and I just looked through a whole slew of engine compartment pix on google and can't see them there either. However, my GT does seem to be running hot, and this after a backflush, new thermostat, tuneup, etc. Is there any easy way to quickly fabricate that part...what is it made of exactly and does anyone have pictures. If I can make it out of something laying around the garage that would save me the hassle of ordering from Moss.

Another thing...since my car got back on the road last week, the temp gauge has been up above the 3/4 mark. I'm wondering if it is really overheating or if that is simply a bad sender. Has anyone figured out a good way to calibrate the sender/gauge? I have one of those digital thermometer BBQ forks and had a thought that there must be some easy way to tap into the coolant flow with it while the engine is running.

I thought mine might be a bad sender too and still might be but on cooler days it runs right at the mid mark but as we creep into the 90's and with any sort of spirited highway driving then it's almost pegged at H.

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
What's the VIN on your car?

The mud shield goes in the open area between the radiator & the front of the engine on all B's after # 410001, &

The lower air duct panel goes under the radiator lower duct panel on all chrome cars.

davester

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Tony, my VIN is 246081

The Moss catalog indicates that the lower air duct panel is only for "RD from 360301 to 410000". It doesn't say anything about GTs though I can't understand why the RD would have one and the GT not. I also cannot for the life of me figure out where it attaches or what its purpose is. Which "radiator lower duct panel" are you talking about? My radiator base fits pretty tightly against the panel that the oil cooler is attached to. Where would this lower air duct panel go?

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
So, you don't need the mud shield because you're radiator is rearward.....My '67 & '74-1/2 GT's have a lower air duct panel...it's fits under the radiator forward to the hole in the valance, bolting under the frame rails at the front....all MGB's with holes in the valance & the radiator in the rearward position should have one.