• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Darn cooling system!

sparkydave

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Went to go change the coolant in the Midget last night, and it's funny how something I've done before gets to be a big production.

First surprise was draining the coolant onto the exhaust pipe, which I had forgotten was now covered with heat wrap tape. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif That stuff really soaks up the coolant. I was refilling it with water to put the flushing compound in, and couldn't remember why it was being such a pain to burp the air out of the block and the heater. Oh, that's right, I took the top heater hose off last time. Okay, so now the water is going in, along with the flushing compound. Started up the car to let it run until the thermostat opened, and was reminded of that heat wrap tape /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif. Large plumes of steam or smoke coming off the heat tape, and that's such a great smell /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/pukeface.gif. Also got a chance to pour off the old coolant, and found a few teaspoons of rusty sludge in it. Amazing how much rust builds up (or is it still coming loose?) in two years. Went to go take off the heat wrap tape, since that was part of an attempted vapor lock fix which turned out to be something else. Well, the now scalding hot exhaust pipe pretty much meant it was time to break for dinner and let it cool off. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thirsty.gif

Anyway, driving around to let the flushing stuff do its job, I noticed the heater has way more heat than it did before. I wonder how much of that rust was clogging the heater return? It did that once before and required shoving a coat hanger down into the return pipe to clear it out. In that case it was bad enough the auto choke stayed stone cold so it never shut off. Maybe BL intended that to let you know the little return pipe is clogged when the automatic choke won't turn off and the heater is making no heat. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif Now the fun part will be convincing the GF that it will NOT break down, overheat, spring leaks, have tires come loose, etc. on this year's road rally. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hammer.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/angel.gif

Country flag
I always budget 3X the time I would normally assume for "simple" jobs.
When I replaced my brake shoes I spent the majority of the time freeing a stuck adjuster (That I unstuck three years ago). Ack!

Every once in awhile I don't need the extra budgeted time so I go for a "test" drive! Yipee!

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
One of my former SO's was totally unsure she was safe in the Elan, had no prior exposure to LBC's. On a trip from "home" in the Pittsburgh area to Geneva-on-the-Lake, OH. the Elan started sputterin' on the Ohio Turnpike. I kinda had an idea the points were getting "funny" but expected it to make the just-over 100 mile trip without a problem...ha. Well I had a spare set inna glovebox, tools in the boot. Yanked the dizzy out alongside the highway and swapped out the points, set new ones up and retimed the thing static with a test light. Took about as long to do as it takes to read this narrative. Closed the bonnet, jumped back in the car and off we went. She was fussing the entire "pit stop" over how we'd get back home or whether or not someone would stop to aid us... sheesh. "How'd you do that!?" came from her as we went zipping up the 'pike. After that incident her willingness to go with me on journeys was much improved. BTW: SHE drove a F**t 850 wagon! And she considered the Elan unreliable... go figger. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Country flag
I didn't think the F-word was allowed here. Yo, Moderator!
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
hmmm... self-censored. Thanks fer pointin' that out Trev. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jester.gif

Morris

Yoda
Ha Ha! On another forum I frequent, there is a member whose handle is "Fix It Again Tony." His signature reads, "Fiat: a great car for people who like to walk."

77MidgetMkIV

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
SWMBO (She Who Must Be Obeyed) won't ride in mine until it makes it a full summer without needing work.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Geez, Mark! Just tell her: "Fine! It goes better without the ballast anyway!"

...then RUN!

jsneddon

Jedi Knight
Country flag
oof!

Morris

Yoda
I would ignore the Doc's suggestions. Spridgets are great for driving, but extremely uncomfortable sleeping quarters.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Huh? I forgot to add th' "Dear" at the end? Awright then, just mention in conversation (obviously with SWMBO within earshot) what a "chick magnet" it is... "It's sooo kewt!" You'd have to lever her outta it with a prybar after that.

OP
sparkydave

sparkydave

Jedi Knight
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
Huh? I forgot to add th' "Dear" at the end? Awright then, just mention in conversation (obviously with SWMBO within earshot) what a "chick magnet" it is... "It's sooo kewt!" You'd have to lever her outta it with a prybar after that.

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif I think my GF would get a big chuckle if I referred to it as a chick magnet. Then again, it depends on the polarity of the magnet... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif