• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Darn reproduction parts

sparkydave

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Rats! I got my new rear brake cylinders to replace mine that were a little too far gone to rebuild, and the new ones didn't fit! It seems Moss is getting reproductions made by TRW. The ends of the pistons were a little different, but the biggie is that the roll pin that's supposed to keep the thing aligned on the back plate was a good 1/16" off from where it's supposed to be. A little work with some pliers to remove the pin, and it seems to work fine. I think I might be letting Moss know somebody needs to take a closer look at them. I can even send them some originals.

Only snafu on my part was getting it all back together, refilled, and bled, and THEN seeing the two spring washers I forgot to put under the circlips. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/blush.gif So that's why they seemed a bit loose. Darn, no way to slip those in without opening the lines again. Oh well, it's all good now, and no more leaks /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/driving.gif. Those lines probably needed a second bleeding anyway, right?

PeterC

Jedi Warrior
One of the things that roll pin does is alert you when you are trying to install the wrong cylinder. The bore sizes are different. If having the correct brakes is important to you, I suggest you contact the vendor and ascertain whether you indeed got the correct part. I suspect not. How critical the difference is I can't comment on.

Peter C.

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Peter C is correct...I'm not certain about Midgets but MGB's & MGB GT's have different wheel cylinder bores & the only visible way to tell the difference is roll pin location (it fits into the proper backplate & won't fit the other backplate - to change cylinders you have to change backplates)...either you ordered the wrong number, they sent the wrong number or there's a vendor problem - whichever, the only way Moss can correct the problem is to identify it....give 'em a call with all your information, see what happens.

OP
sparkydave

sparkydave

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Ah, I didn't know the dowel pins were located differently to identify different bores. Thanks! I'll get in touch with them and see if we can figure out what it was I got.

4 Stars worth of Smart in my book