• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Darn you Gerry Coker!

TomFromStLouis

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
The truth is that I am not really cut out for owning a historic vehicle. I lack mechanic aptitude and cannot make up for it with any history of growing up in a garage with my father/uncle/brother. And here's a fact: any historic vehicle takes more of this skill than modern 50,000 mile warranty and dealer serviced cars do. One can learn, and I have, a little, but it has become startlingly clear that diagnosing relatively simple issues will always take me hours to another's five minutes. I suspected this would be the case going in, but was completely seduced by the big Healey's lines and (once in the driver’s seat) fun factor. So I became a stereotypical business guy who deals with a mild midlife crisis in a perfectly irrational way.

I have now had my BJ8 going on six years, and the last one has been the hardest. A needed repair sidelined the car for months while other life issues intervened. We all know that can happen, but it does hurt. Back on the road, I got in three nice drives and the clutch goes out. On top of this, I can see some paint bubbles that means some fairly expensive body work is ahead. Frustration mounting, I find myself thinking about how a modern sports car would offer most of the Healey driving experience without these distractions. Hmmm. Heresy - I really do like my Healey - but maybe these practical advantages can outweigh the historic vehicle cool factor. Wouldn't hurt to see what is out there.

So I take a look at a BMW Z4, a truly great car. The Z8 is out of reach unfortunately. As a coherent visual design, the Z8 is near a TEN, the Z4 maybe a NINE point something. Porsche makes some nice choices too, although I’d need to be careful about going too far back into the catalog. Wife likes the idea of a MINI Cooper S, and I rode in one long enough to not disagree. Friend in the club speaks highly of his Nissan 360Z. The Mercedes choices do not grab me much; I recently drove an SL55 that reminded me completely of my E420 sedan. All in all though, there are modern cars that would offer top down joy and beauty.

After this thorough survey of the market, the tow truck arrives and my Healey soon sits atop its flat bed, like a full size trophy for Most Beautiful Car. None of these modern cars stir the soul like that Healey. Those amazing lines! From any angle this is the work of art I want to be a part of!

Darn you Gerry Coker! Darn you for designing one of the very few perfect TENs in automotive form, a truly timeless design built to last only ten years!

Darn you DMH! Darn you for building a balanced and thrilling driving experience with all British parts!

Sigh.

There is no choice here. I am stuck with an ultimate and will have to forego the compromise.

Last edited by a moderator:
Country flag
Re: darn you Jerry Coker!

Well said, Tom (though I think the Z4 looks contrived and haven't seen a Z8). And a Spitfire blows all other (piston) aircraft away for design (Mustang may have been better overall, but ... Spitfire). Say what you will about Italian/German/French design--the Brits just seem to come up with something extraordinary sometimes.

bighealeysource

Luke Skywalker
Bronze
Country flag
Totally agree with you Tom - nothing out there IMHO compares to a big Healey, four or six cylinder. Of course I'm kind of partial to the original but love 'em all. Now, if a real Ferrari GTO was in the same price range, might have to include it in there but those kind of cars are "high cotton" country and never been on my radar screen to consider. Fell for the Healey back in 1967 when a fraternity brother bought a brand new BJ8 ( of course did not know that then) and even had dealer installed a/c on it. Was almost 10 years before I could afford a used one but been in lust since 1978. Still kicking myself for missing the chance to meet Gerry at a Healey show put on by the Jacksonville, FL club this Spring. Had already committed to another one in South Carolina so passed on the JAX show and then found out Gerry Coker was there. Would love to have had him sign the dash ala Carroll Shelby did for Cobras.
Regards,
Mike

John Turney

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Anyone with a checkbook can own a modern BMW, Porsche, Nissan, Mini or Mercedes. It takes someone with a real passion for a car to own a Healey.

Griz

Jedi Hopeful
I too have lusted after the Big Healey my whole adult life, but alas could only afford a Bugeye which I've had since the age of 17. Now I have a BJ7 that is undergoing a full restoration but until it is complete I'll have to get my thrills elsewhere. Enter my Fiat Abarth, talk about fun, fast and (relatively) cheap! And Oh that girl-with-the-scorpion-tattoo is just about as sexy as the Big Healey!

MarshgrassA

Jedi Trainee
TomFromStLouis.....Thought your post was going to end with......I am selling!
Mike...so sorry you missed getting your dash signed by Gerry Coker. How about I get all the BCCC members to sign a fender? We all love your car.

Big Healey Hunter,
Irene

simon1966

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
My personal solution was to drop $4K on a late model rubber bumper MGB to have fun in while the Healey is off the road. RB B's are a dime a dozen, there are a lot of them around for decent prices and they are plenty fun. Since you are in STL you can go spend some money with https://themgdoc.com/ for your routine maintenance and skip the headache! Oh, and the MG Doc won't touch a Weber carb modified B as I discovered when I wanted him to check out my car! So stay stock and you will be happy, or get a pair of SU's installed instead.