• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

An Interview with Gerry Coker

RAC68

Darth Vader
Hi All,

For those who do not participate on the Healey list, an interesting and down-to-earth conversation with Gerry Coker was provided by Steven Kingsbury. Steven edited his interview and placed it on the web at Part I (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-68_4xzHo0&feature=related) and Part II (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ANWoaOZPN9I&feature=related) for all to enjoy.

As a very long time owner and promoter of the Austin Healey, I could never, personally, see the evolution of the 100 from Donald Healey’s previous cars. When I heard Jerry tell of the 100’s introduction, all fell into place.

I strongly suggest all see Steven’s interview on YouTube.

Ray (64BJ8P1)

ModifiedBJ7

Country flag
Just watched the interview and thoroughly enjoyed it. Couldn't agree more about his thoughts on newer car design.

judow

Darth Vader - R.I.P
:savewave: I watched both Part 1 and Part 2 and indeed it was worth the watch. I saw Agatha in both parts. When Gerry was signing the dashboard of the Healey - right, that was Agatha. I'm not bragging but I sure was excited to see it.

Jim_Newman

Jedi Hopeful
Great stuff. I especially liked the bit about the wearing of raincoats backwards.

bighealeysource

Luke Skywalker
Bronze
Country flag
Hey Ray,
Thanks for posting the link to Gerry Coker's interview. That was really interesting and nice insight into the way the Healey 100 got designed. Talk about the opposite from today's design by committee. I would love to have him sign the dash on my 100M !!!! What a delightful gentleman !
Regards,
Mike

OP
RAC68

RAC68

Darth Vader
Hi All,

I thought many would like the interview. I was taken by the reality of his comments.

As previously said, I have never been a fan of the majority of Donald Healey’s designs and wondered how this beauty cam to pass. I may have not been a promoter had Donald intervened with something more consistent to his previous designs.

As funny as it may sound, one very rainy day in my youth, while driving as a passenger in a 100/6, I wore my raincoat backward as Gerry mentioned. I thought this was an original and very practical creation on my part and often mentioned it to my sport car friends (although none admitted following the practice). This just goes to show that everything old is new again.

Glad you enjoyed the interview.
Ray (64BJ8P1)