• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Compatibility issues?

mylillooker

Hey, you guys have always been a big help and I truly appreciate it!
I've seen a good deal on a vinyl hood for my midget, but it was bought for a 71 and I've got a 79. Will it fit mine? I don't want to have to move any snaps.
Also, I'm looking at another 79. It's missing the front bumper. Since it's already gone, I wondered if any other bumper (chrome) would be compatible. What mods would I have to make? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif You guys rock!

Country flag
I think a '71 top should fit fine. Converting to chrome bumper is no small task, but doable. There are a number of body modifications that need to be made. I think I'd just buy a chrome bumper car if that is what you want. Did you ever get the steering wheel removed?

Andre the Giant

Jedi Hopeful
Hey mylillooker... I used to have a vermillion '79 Midget back in the late 80's. I used it as a trade in for a new car in St Louis. It had wire wheels, a luggage rack, walnut steering wheel and shifter, cheap foglights mounted under the front plastic bumper, a weber carb, no emissions controls, and a nice burned spot on the underside of the bonnet. (Not to mention some not so accurate wiring under the hood due to a fuel pump leak and fire.)

I always wondered what happened to that car. I spent two of the best years of my life working on that car, rebuilding the suspension, replacing the clutch, etc. It had around 70,000 miles when I traded it. Any chance it's the same one you own??????

Just curious.

Andy

Radford

Jedi Knight
The work of changing bumpers shouldn't be that dissimular to that of a B. To get an idea check out Moss Motors site for instructions on their kit for the B.

Hope that's some help.

OP
mylillooker

mylillooker

Alas Mr. Giant, you must keep looking. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nopity.gif This is not that Midget, but I'll be installing a luggage rack soon. I've been thinking about fog lights too. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Mr. Jesse, Would you believe that after buying ALL! the supplies needed to drill and tap those darned holes and waiting the whole winter to do it, that my dad just got in one day and it came off in his hands!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gifWe guess that w/the compression and expansion over the winter months and all the lubricants that we had put on it, It just gave up! I couldn't believe it. It really just came right off, practically fell off! As soon as I get the turn signals fixed, I'll take you for a spin. I've got a couple of questions that you may be able to help me with (ie. noise, movement,...) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Country flag
We should definitely meet up. I have got a laundry list of things to do to my midget, but they will have to wait as I'm buying a new house (with a garage-yea!). In the mean time, I'm doing just enough maintenance on the Midget to keep it on the road. I've driven it alot the past couple of days. A new top is on my list, but it keeps getting pushed lower on the list as other problems creep up.
Converting to chrome bumpers requires: cutting off rubber bumper mounts, filling old turn light holes, fabing new mounting holes for new turn lights, new grill and surrounds, filling air intake in front valence, and new bumper brackets. For the rear, there are squared areas for the old bumper mounts that need to be recontoured, the area below the tail lights needs to be fabbed and filled in, and then new bumper brackets.
Overall, there is alot of body work, and we haven't talked about dropping the ride height back down. It is no where as simple as an MGB conversion. If you still have the urge to do it, I can point you to some other resources.

Andre the Giant

Jedi Hopeful
Thanks for the respnse mylillooker. Someday I hope to run across it on ebay, or here. I'd hate to think of her sitting in a scrapyard or gathering rust in a field somewhere. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
Here's a site I made some time ago about converting to chrome bumpers (since the Spridget is now mostly a race-car, I've ditched the bumpers entirely):

https://npmccabe.tripod.com/mg.htm