• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR4/4A New member with TR4/6 hardtop compatibility ???

S

Sopicki

Hello all,

My name is Bob Kopicki and I'm a Britaholic. Even though I've owned a British car of some sort for the last 20 years, I'm always excited to find a forum of people that know WAY more than me. My wife and I have owned an '85 Jaguar XJ-6 for the last 7 years and we just purchased a '67 TR-4A (solid axle) in August 2004. She and I enjoy working on the cars and although the Triumph is solid and running, it is going to need a lot of work.

My question is about the fittment of hardtops on Triumph TR4's, TR250's and TR6's. Shortly after buying the TR4 we came across a hardtop for sale for $20. It was in very nice condition with good glass and fiberglass and only missing the bottom seal that runs along the bottom rear of the top. Being in a remote location I was not able to perform a trial fit and the owner of the top didn't know if it went to a tr4, 250 or 6. I figured if it didn't fit I'd just sell it at a later date. I got the hardtop, uncrated it, and had about 15 minutes to trial fit it before it had to be recrated and stored since we're in the middle of a move. It seemed to fit fine at the front but the back of the hard top is flat and the scuttle across the rear of the car (just in front of the trunk "boot") seems to curve slightly away. This curvature may be taken up by the missing seal but I just don't know. I know I'm getting the cart before the horse since the windshield wipers don't even work, but before I store this thing for 5 years only to find out it doesn't fit I'd like to know more about it.

So, to make a long story a quick question: Are hardtops for TR4's able to fit on TR6's or vice versa?

Thanks for your input.

Attachments

• 95271-8a_1.jpg
    95271-8a_1.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 152

Cain

Jedi Trainee
Sopicki,

Is this an aftermarket top? I assume it is since you say it is fiberglass.

I have a TR6 that came with an aftermarket top - a Snugtop. I've been told it fits both TR4's and TR6's, but I've never tried.

Also, you say your wife likes the cars and (better yet) likes to work on them? Wow!!!

OP
S

Sopicki

Cain,

Yes she likes to work on them with me, it is one of our many hobbies. I thought that it would be a short hobby after I dropped one of the Jag shocks on her hand while we rebuilt the rear suspension of that car, but she forgave me. She actually was the one who found the TR-4 and we both can't wait to get this move over so we can get to work restoring that car.

The top is an aftermarket top (I'm not sure how to include a picture into a post yet) and I did attach a picture to the original message. It was made by Custom hard tops of California but I can't seem to find any information about the status of that company or if anyone would know specifically what this hard top was made to fit. It is comforting to know that your hard top should fit both TR4's and 6's since that would mean that they can't be that far apart.

Thanks!

Cain

Jedi Trainee
Sorry. I didn't see the attachment the first time. Yes, that top is very similar to mine, but in much better shape than mine!!

Please note that I can't remember who I heard it from that told me the top would fit both TR4's and TR6's. You may want to wait until someone else comes along and says the same. But, for $25 you can't go wrong either way.

Yellowdog

Bob,

I too, have been told that the Snugtops were a one-size-fits-all for the TR6, 4 & 250's but have never seen one transfered from one model to another. The metal extensions in front of the rear panel share the same part number and the rear panels sure look similar in profile.

Cain,

There are probably more women involved with these cars than one would first think. To keep a long and unusual story short, back in June of 1975, my wife went shopping one day and came home with a new '75 TR6. Same one that I mention in my signature. It is HER car. For the first 10 -12 years, she did all the maintenance work; oil, point, plugs, clutch, timing chain. . . . I was only allowed to help on the heavy stuff, otherwise she did it all.

bigbadbluetr6

Jedi Trainee
Yes I believe all the TR4 250 and 6 are enter changable with each other. I just looked in all my parts catalogs which have aftermarket hardtops and they are saying the TR250 and TR6 are the same but not the TR4. The TR4 and 250 surrey top fits onto the TR6. I have a picture of a TR6 with a surrey and it looks pretty cool. All three of these cars are the same same size with just a little difference.
Eric
73 TR6

OP
S

Sopicki

Eric,

Is there any way of posting that picture of the surrey top on the TR6?

Does anyone recognize the hardtop picture that I attached to the first post as a TR-4 or 6 hardtop? Or perhaps is there anyone who might be able to date the top?

Thanks again folks!

Alan_Myers

Luke Skywalker
Hi Bob,

The short answer to your question is "yes". But, there are some considerations.

The biggest difference between all those cars' tops is the way they (hard or soft) attach to the top of the windshield frame. Basically, TR4 through TR6 inner body tub is the same (minor differences), so the rear cockpit rim size and shape is for all practical purposes identical. The same windshield frame, doors and windows were used on all cars, with minor differences. So, a top that fits on one will fit on another, although a bit of fine tuning might be needed to make it work. Some bolt holes might not line up, for example. Trim and seals used on one car may differ from that used on another, and may present some other surmountable problems.

However, IMHO, the tops for the TR6 don't look particularly good on the earlier cars, and vice versa. To my eye, the more angular tops seem most appropriate on the 6 and tops for the 250 and earlier need to be a bit more rounded (but still not as "bubble shaped" as looks "right" on the TR2 & 3). But, that's just my opinion and, although I've been a TR fanatic for 25 years, I doubt I've seen all the possible combinations and aftermarket tops that are out there.

I know what you mean about British cars, although I've never been able to fully quantify why I like them better than most. In the past I've had my share of Japanese, German and Italian cars, but with few exceptions never quite enjoyed them as much as the ones from England.

Currently I own a Land Rover, in addition to my TR4 (Okay, and a Honda motorcycle, but that's my *only* transgression). I can tell you the reason I enjoy the TR4 is that it's easy to work on and even somewhat crude in design and assembly, yet it manages to perform so damned well.

OTOH, I certainly can't say the '97 LR is easy to work on! Still, I'll stick with British steel!

OP
S

Sopicki

Eric, thanks for the pictures. That surrey top looks GREAT and I love the yellow 250! I'm thinking of painting my 4A that color.

Alan, Thanks for your input. I agree with you that the more rounded hardtops look better on the older cars and angular ones on the 6's. But the price and condition of the top I purchased was too good to pass up. Perhaps I'll find an enthusiast who'll want to trade? I appreciate the more detail oriented evaluation on whether the top should fit.

Right now we own a Chrysler Minivan as our family mobile, but now that we have a boat we'd like to move up to a Range Rover. I've always been partial to the older ones and will probably start the search this time next year.

Well, thanks to all for your input.