• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

MGB Transmission cross member re-install

Svcmangler

Country flag
I have removed the transmission and engine assembly to replace the clutch and reseal both the engine and transmission. I am currently trying to install the transmission cross member and I am not able to line up the bolts that go from transmission to the V-shaped mount in between the tranny and the crossmember. Does anyone have any hints on how to do this?

thank you for any help you can offer

John

OP
S

Svcmangler

Country flag
MGB doesn’t have a frame. Crossmember sits below the tunnel.
What model are you working on?
Ha, you are right. I was thinking about a different car. It is not a matter of reaching the crossmember to the tranny and getting the bolts to reach, it is a matter of lining the bolts up exactly to go thru the crossmember and that "V" shaped bracket/bushing thingy. LOL. Not really sure what its purpose is, but regardless, the space is tight and I just can't seem to ling it all up.
I decided to put some gasket sealant on the mating surface of the bracket to the transmission, and bolted it up separately. I will wait till tomorrow then take the bolts out, put the cross member in place and see if I can get the bolts started that way. Here is a couple pics of what i mean.

Attachments

• IMG_8821.jpg
    IMG_8821.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 106
  • IMG_8826.jpg
    IMG_8826.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 99
  • IMG_8816.jpg
    IMG_8816.jpg
    118 KB · Views: 100

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
In images 8821 & 8826 it ~appears~ you've got the bracket to the trans (part #5) bolted up 180° the WRONG way. That bracket is not symmetrical.

The mounts will be offset to the front that way. See if this illustration helps. And both Grantura_MKI and self have probably done this job on more MGB's than you've ever even seen. Be polite, please.

MGB-040_1.jpg

OP
S

Svcmangler

Country flag
Ha, ok I will not comment on that. I’ve been checking out a couple youtube videos regarding this, and it looks like I just need to man up ame keep on trying. My procedure seems to be correct. I did notice some of the videos used a cross member where they drilled access holes. I would rather not do that, as I am a bit of a purist. I will double check that butterfly bracket and flip it 180 d3gess like you suggest

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
These are 1/4” drive and work a treat in tight areas.
Off topic but: D, I've the same 1/4" swivels here, but what manufacturer are those 12-point ones? They look to be something I've not seen before.

I’ve been checking out a couple youtube videos regarding this, and it looks like I just need to man up ame keep on trying. My procedure seems to be correct. I did notice some of the videos used a cross member where they drilled access holes. I would rather not do that, as I am a bit of a purist.

John, it's a bit like a Chinese wood block puzzle at first, but once all is set in correct order it'll go together. Should be no need to put holes in the cross-member. I've run into another problem periodically with that job, the chassis mounting threads seem to get stripped out on some. I assume people who've been there in the past have used an air gun to reinstall the bolts and over-torqued 'em. Worth checking before final assembly and tightening. Frustrating to have to go backwards to Heli-coil the things! Especially if you're working on your back.

Just a heads-up. đź‘Ť

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
D said:
They are snap on, Doc. Fitting in a special ratchet to make them very slim

Ah. Clever. Thanks for the explanation. I got a series of "Gear Wrench" combos for similar situations. Hadn't seen the Snappy tool before (or I'd likely have ponied up th' lolly for 'em ;)).