• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR4/4A New member, thanks for help, link to TR4 photos

Fairview

Jedi Hopeful
Hi All,
Thanks for the help with the car cover (thread is below). Since I'm new here, I guess it is okay to post some photos of my little TR4. Here is the link to my webshots site:

TR4 Surrey Top file

Thanks for looking and if you see something goofed up that I can fix without filing bankruptcy, please let me know.
Fairview

TR4nut

Yoda
Country flag
Yes, beautiful car. Andy - you can take the Volkswagon, I'll take the Gullwing!

Randy

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
Re: New member, thanks for help, link to TR4 photo

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:]I guess it is okay to post some photos of my little TR4 [/QUOTE]

Correction - not just OK, it's mandatory!! This way we get to know you and your car.

Welcome to the forum. Please join us often.

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag

Fairview said:
... if you see something goofed up that I can fix without filing bankruptcy, please let me know...

That is a beautiful TR4.

There is nothing there I would call a goof but there are some differences I see compared to my TR4 which is fairly original and also close to your commission number. Not big stuff but things you might check out if you are trying for a very correct car.

Note: Don't take any of this as gospel, my car could be incorrect or 2 TR4s can differ and both be correct. Just some things I see --

The horns are different from mine. Mine are identical and look different.

I do not see the lifting eyes on the engine, one would be at the right rear head stud and the other on the back of the timing chain cover.

The air filters on mine had more of a silver/grey paint, lighter than what I see here tho that could be the light. They would have had AC labels on each. If you need labels I can send you a jpeg that you can have printed at Walgreens or wherever & you'll have a bunch of labels for 19 cents.

The boot lid prop on mine is unpainted (silver in color, the repros may be that yellowish fake cad) -- yours appears to be painted or at least a darker color.

Nice tools but I do not see the original jack. Correctness aside, this is a very handy and well designed system so if you do not have the jack that lifts thru the floor plug you might seek one out.

On my TR4 the bonnet latch bracket & bits are painted body color.

The steering column knuckle is different from mine. Yours looks like a U-Joint, mine is the rubber donut connection. An odd thing to mess with so perhaps either is correct.

As I said, a beautiful car -- much nicer than mine -- just offering some clues on that may or may not be useful.

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag

Another Norton owner. See that Mark?

Simon TR4a

Jedi Knight

Nice stuff, like the R90s, the BSA, Honda 450, and most of all the TR!
You won't get me near that little Buddy Holly-killing plane, though!

TR4nut

Yoda
Country flag

I'll chime in again as I have a couple of TR4s around the same commission number, though neither are as nice as yours or Geo's.

But if you are looking for originality for judging, here's some added comments.

I don't think the relay is original near the fusebox. I don't think you have overdrive, so my guess is the car horn system has been changed over to more like a TR4a (although the relay would be closer to the passenger side horn in that case).

I agree with Geo, the bonnet latch on both my TRs is painted body color. Also,same on the steering column knuckle, although a u-joint may be a nice upgrade.

Very minor nitpick, but as stock you would have a round black gear shift knob.

The tonneau snaps on the door suggest that the hard top was added later as an option. If built from the factory as a hardtop I don't think the snaps would be there.

Another nitpick, but it looks like you have a common plastic fan upgrade over the original steel/aluminum version. I wouldn't change it back though!

Absolutely beautiful car, on most cars it is easy to spot pages of things that are not as they were from the dealership.

Randy

Brooklands

Yoda
Gold
Country flag

Great looking menagerie of machinery. I always dreamt of having a Gullwing, but alas, my banker always said no. And a fraternity brother had a similar VW at Lehigh. Back then my budget said I inherited Grandpa's 52 Buick Special 4-door.

Welcome to the group. You find that there is lots of fun discussion as well as great information. Thanks for sharing the photos. And let me know if any of your machinery needs a houseguest to exercise it and let it out when you need to go away for a few days. In the past I have done this for beagles, but I am sure I could handle a Benz too. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

OP
F

Fairview

Jedi Hopeful

Thanks, guys. Those are some great comments and insights. My car does have overdrive, but it was added when the driveline was rebuilt, so it didn't come with it from the factory.

I do not know whether the car came with the hardtop or not, but I agree that the tonneau snaps on the doors don't make sense for a hardtop. I am trying to contact the original owner to find out the history of this hardtop.

This car has always been owned by folks here in Virginia. (four prior owners). However, it was originally delivered in France where the first owner picked it up. He lived in Salem, Virginia at the time. I am guessing it was that program popular in the 60's where you could buy a new sports car, pick it up for a tour around Europe, then have it shipped back to the States.

There is a peculiar switch to the left of the speedo that gives a high/low note to the horns. I was told that this was because the car was delivered in France, there was a city setting and a country setting for the horns. I don't know whether that is indeed correct or not.

This car was restored several years ago by the shop that just sold that $1100 Lucas battery on ebay (another thread). I haven't been over to the shop since the battery sale, but I imagine they had quite a celebration! They're probably just now sobering up.

Please feel free to nit pick the TR4 all you want. I'd like to make it as original as possible and appreciate your input/knowledge bank.

Thanks, Jeff

TR4nut

Yoda
Country flag

Jeff-

I read too many of these forums so the information jumbles together - but the horn option may be the one I read about that is basically for running in the Alps or areas where you can have a low tone to avoid triggering an avalanche. At least that is what I read. If I swiped this tidbit from someone here, sorry about that!

If the relay is for the horns, then maybe that is the correct location. If the relay is for the overdrive, then it should be tucked away inside near the passenger footwell.

Not sure you'd want to remove the tonneau snaps anyway - the hardtop was available to purchase separately so there are plenty of cars with the hardtop and snaps.

Since its Christmas, it might be a good time to get yourself a Heritage certificate - you could get a few more details on the installed options at that time.

Randy

TRopic6

Jedi Warrior
Country flag

Aloha Jeff - That is a pretty unique option on the horns. I happen to have a factory TR4 parts catalog on the shelf and it does show a "France only" High Horn option. On page 63 it lists a switch, bezel, washer and wire. Do you have the factory spec sheet for the car?

Welcome to the Forum!

Jeff
TR6 CF13816U

OP
F

Fairview

Jedi Hopeful

Geo Hahn said:
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:]The air filters on mine had more of a silver/grey paint, lighter than what I see here tho that could be the light. They would have had AC labels on each. If you need labels I can send you a jpeg that you can have printed at Walgreens or wherever & you'll have a bunch of labels for 19 cents.

George, I would very much appreciate that jpeg with the AC labels. Do you print them out on photo paper and somehow glue them to the filters? And I'll take a photo of the jack and ask you to see if it is the right one, if you will. Thanks, Jeff

OP
F

Fairview

Jedi Hopeful

TRopic6 said:
Aloha Jeff - That is a pretty unique option on the horns. I happen to have a factory TR4 parts catalog on the shelf and it does show a "France only" High Horn option. On page 63 it lists a switch, bezel, washer and wire. Do you have the factory spec sheet for the car

Thanks for checking on the "French Horns" for me (not a bad joke for Wednesday morning!). No, I don't have the factory spec sheet for the TR. Is that the same as the heritage certificate that Randy was referring to in the post above?

TRopic6

Jedi Warrior
Country flag

Yes, that's it.

My '63 TR4 stored on the mainland has a white metal dash too - yours looks outstanding.

Jeff

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag

Fairview said:
George, I would very much appreciate that jpeg with the AC labels...

I have sent the labels. I just have them printed as a 4x6 photo (10 labels) and use two sided tape on the backside. You get to trim them, leave about a 1/16" border of blue around the edge. Curvy manicure scissors work well for this, then clip the corners rounded with nail clippers.

You certainly have a magnificent TR4. The story about the horns is a great bit of history... French Horns in a TR!

If anyone else wants a copy of the labels it is easy enough to send by email.

AC%20Filters.JPG