• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Bugeye Wire Wheel Rear

erstearns

Jedi Trainee
I am contemplating changing from steel to wires and know that the rear is slightly wider on the steel set up and that wire axles are a bit short to fully seat. Will a rear out of any WW later model sprite or midget work with my Bugeye or does it have to come from an original WW car with 1/4 elliptical's? /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/confused.gif

Bugeye58

Yoda
I suppose any WW axle housing could be modified to fit the 1/4 elliptics, but it would take some major fabrication to get the bracketry located right.
Best to stick with an original.
There are bolt on kits to adapt a steel wheel axle to wire wheels. You could get away with it on a round arch car. I had one on my '63 square arch, but had to roll the inner fender lips for clearance.
Jeff

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
If I wanted to dress up a street Spridget with different wheels, I'd go with Panasport bolt-on wheels....easy, great looking, stronger and probably cheaper.

pana.jpg

OP
E

erstearns

Jedi Trainee
Thought there might be som fab work. Curious how much trouble in case I ran across one. Will look for some pics or diagrams to compare bracket geometry etc. I agree adapters are easier but I don't always follow that path. Ask my wife. Thanks

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
While we're on the WW subject. There is a tiny tiny chance I might be buying a parts car. It might have wire wheels. I seem to recall from earlier conversations that old wire wheels can be suspect in terms of safety - any thoughts?

regularman

Yoda
Country flag
I never had a wire wheel midget, but many motorycles with them. They are a lot of work to keep clean, keep the rust off of and you have to fool with tubes and if you bump a curb or something it can make them go out of round pretty easy and then you have the spoke wrench, a tool that has done more harm than good in the hands of many people /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif . I would suggest what aeronca65t says, buy some of the minilites or replicas that are out there, if you are going to drive that car much or you could just fix up your disk wheels to look decent, like the one I put in my avatar. Its a stock rostyle.

Bugeye58

Yoda
JP, as with anything else on our cars, age plays a factor in their longevity. In the case of wire wheels, spokes and rims become fatigued over time, hub splines wear, etc.
By their inherent nature, wires are more prone to being tweaked out of round, or not receiving the care they should have over the years.
Personally, I wouldn't run old wires until they had at least been inspected by a competent professional.
Hendrix Wire Wheel comes to mind.

https://www.hendrixwirewheel.com.

Jeff

GB1

Yoda
Country flag
We did a BE to 1/4 wires, looks hot!

need to get the rear from a early 1/4 spridget that had wires, not an easy find, costly, but very hot!

Patrick

GB1

Yoda
Country flag
Jeff:

I got a complete 1/4 ww rear and put that on, ugghh to adapters.

Patrick

Bugeye58

Yoda
Patrick, I pretty much agree on the adapters. I think I have two sets of them in storage somewhere. But, considering the difficulty and expense of finding an original wire axle assembly, it may be an alternative for some.
Jeff

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Man those Panasport wheels are so nice, sigh.

GB1

Yoda
Country flag
Jeff:

It did take a while to find one. The cost for chrome wires was high and the tire size is limited.

It does look better then I thought it would, wish I had a pic.

Patrick

Bugeye58

Yoda
Patrick, did you go with the chrome Dayton wheels?
I need to make up my mind about the wheels on one of my "Other" British cars. (I won't mention the marque in this phorum.) /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif
All of the Spridgets either have Rostyles, Panasports, or Minators on them.
Jeff

GB1

Yoda
Country flag
Jeff:

For the BE's, I have Minators 165x80 on mine and my brother has Chrome Moss Wires 155x80 on his.

Patrick

Edit - Added pic of rear Minator

Attachments

• 4486-10-22-06_1641(2).jpg
    4486-10-22-06_1641(2).jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 85

spritenut

Luke Skywalker
If it's not going to see speeds in excess of 90 mph or any significant track time, the stock wire wheel axles from ANY Spridget will fit the 1/4 leaf rear. Even those with steel wheels.
Yes the axle banjo is different in length on the ww cars. but the diff is 3/8" per axle and the axles fit inside the diff by 1.25" so a ww axle will still go into the steel wheel banjo by 7/8" The excess only hangs out inside the diff past the bearings. No big deal.
I have converted a couple of Sprites to wires without changing the rear axle banjo. I drove one of those for several years with no problems other than keeping the wires clean.

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Oh, those wheels look so good.

GB1

Yoda
Country flag
Stock axles spline length is my concern; are they too short to grab properly? I beleive that you will be loosing about 1/2" on each side and on about 1 1/2 grab, I was afraid to to do it. A rough 33% decrease was not good for me.

Wow brings back memories of my brother and I argueing this 20 years ago with a bunch of cheap brews in us.

Others will know more.

Patrick

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Pat, I copied your pic above. Those wheels are just too nice.