• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Bugeye roll bar advice

ichthos

Darth Vader
Country flag
I know this is probably an old topic for most of you, but I need advice on a roll bar. I would like to get a roll bar that is as high as possible but one that will also fit underneath the rag top. Any suggestions on a brand/source that sells these? I am not going to be racing, but I still want to be as safe as possible since my wife will be in the car.I have read that most of the roll bars sold are more for decoration. What makes a roll bar a decoration as opposed to one that actually keeps the driver safer? Is it possible to turn one of the decorative roll bars into one that is functional? Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Kevin

mightymidget

Jedi Knight
Not real educated on roll bars for these cars but I will mention this

A improperly installed roll bar will Kill you faster than a roll over without
I can tell from your post this is your concern

All of the roll bars I have installed in the past (american car) projects-- I have designed /welded myself form kits. I didn't trust the aftermarket ones sold for every day drivers and the others were for race cars. making entry and exit a chore

I have a roll bar that I got with one of my bugeyes, it mounts behind the seat on the shelf over rear axle, the bar seems of good weight but rear body panel of bugeye was cut for rear struts to clear. they never completed the installation. Not sure if floor is strong enough to hold anyway. If I install there will diffently be added support. I mention this because I have seen similiar ones on ebay few times. There is a reason the racer bars are so big.

As a side note I flip a Midget on its top at top speed. I had on my seatbealt
I am alive and breathing 40 years later. I didn't look to hot for a week or two but I wasn't really hurt. nothing broken

OP
I

ichthos

Darth Vader
Country flag
I had no idea a roll bar was so involved. The whole reason I considered the roll bar to begin with was the winshield. I was amazed that there are only six 10-32, 1/2" screws going into an aluminum frame. Is the reason that a roll bar is so difficult to install safely then because there is no steel frame, like in an American car?
Kevin

mightymidget

Jedi Knight
Its not difficult but must be done correctly, One of the racers may be able to figure out a way to install a hoop that looks good and is safe

Personaly I think the Bugeye would look good the way the Germans do it. Hoops behind each seat, in stainless steel. there just isn't alot of room behind the seat to get to the floor of vehicle.

**again I maybe way off base here, haven't mess with these cars enough to know what you can and cann't do.

But you are right about the windsheild, as mention earlier when I rolled the Midget and everthing stopped I was hanging upside down face in the dirt,the seat belt would not release, I used the broken windsheild to cut seat belt off

Gundy

Luke Skywalker
My roll bar goes to the floorboard at the seat bottom with
struts that go to the package shelf behind the seats.
The bar intrudes enough to limit the rearward slide of the seats but it's not so bad and it is arguably better than a roll bar that rests on that package tray. Pretty beefy tube.
A roll cage would be the best way to go but it might not be
practical for a daily driver.
A GOOD roll cage/bar would have trouble fitting inside a rag top.
Still...something is better than nothing in my book.
You might want to think about padding that sucker while you
are at it.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Wasn't going to comment but why do you need a roll bar? I figure the only way I'm going to roll my car is doing something really stupid or careless. The aforementioned rollover happened at top speed which I don't imagine you doing - especially with your wife in the car. Yes, you could run off the road or be cut off, but defensive driving will help some of that, and, God knows they aren't top heavy.

I drive really defensively when I do, and recognize that the greater likelihood of an accident is getting shoved under something rather than rolling. I know that if I do get into an accident, my bumpers will slow things down just enough for me to really soil myself.

In other words, yes, if you are racing or are a really spirited driver with an equally spirited engine, but for normal bugeye cruisin, I really don't think you need worry.

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin

Gundy

Luke Skywalker
Roll bars don't mean you are anticipating a roll over
but rather like a bit of insurance. In a similar vein
I don't anticipate being in a collision. I do like
the bit of insurance a set of harness belts provide.
Heck I buy an agreed value ins. policy even though
I don't plan on totaling my car.
Ya get run over by a semi in one of these things and
a full roll cage ain't gonna help. Surviving such
catastrophes is in others hands.
:angel:
Added safety features just help with my piece of mind.
Racing harness, fire extinguisher, and roll bar just look cool.
:cooler: :jester:

Attachments

• 22080.jpg
    22080.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 903

mightymidget

Jedi Knight
properly done they do "give it the look" but they need to follow the lines of the car and not look like a shipping device

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
Gundy, I see you added a wind blocker attached to the roll bar. Did the same with Bugsy,my 68. Looks good and I know it allows you to keep your ball cap on at speed.

Gundy

Luke Skywalker
Jim_Gruber said:
Gundy, I see you added a wind blocker attached to the roll bar. Did the same with Bugsy,my 68. Looks good and I know it allows you to keep your ball cap on at speed.

Wow good eyes there bud! It is Velcro attached. I stick it on for long hauls and when it get nippy outside.
It and those wind wings thingies can put a dent in the gale force winds swirling the cockpit. As for ball caps I use ones
that are adjustable so I can stem the blood flow going
to my head. If you ride with me you'd see it makes me kinda demented.
:crazyeyes:
:devilgrin:

jgrewe

*I first posted this in the A-H part of the forum not knowing there was a seperate place for the little cars. Instead of starting a new thread this seems like a good spot for this info.*

I'm putting the finishing touches on a Bugeye and I'm wondering if anybody could tell me how high I can make a roll bar that will still fit under a stock soft top? I don't have a top frame at this time to use for a mock up and I'll probably use a tonneau cover 99% of the time anyway.

Has anybody just used the roll bar itself as a 'frame' and had a custom top made? I have both types of side curtains so I think I'd like to get a stock top.

Even better, if there is anybody in the Tampa Bay area that would let me borrow a frame for about 5 minutes I could be sure there is no interference anywhere. I promise to post pics if I decide to build the bar.

Gundy

Luke Skywalker
jgrewe said:
*I first posted this in the A-H part of the forum not knowing there was a seperate place for the little cars. Instead of starting a new thread this seems like a good spot for this info.*

I'm putting the finishing touches on a Bugeye and I'm wondering if anybody could tell me how high I can make a roll bar that will still fit under a stock soft top? I don't have a top frame at this time to use for a mock up and I'll probably use a tonneau cover 99% of the time anyway.

Has anybody just used the roll bar itself as a 'frame' and had a custom top made? I have both types of side curtains so I think I'd like to get a stock top.

Even better, if there is anybody in the Tampa Bay area that would let me borrow a frame for about 5 minutes I could be sure there is no interference anywhere. I promise to post pics if I decide to build the bar.

I could measure mine if you like. It does fit with the top up.
You will have to cut some on the tonneau for a roll bar.
Let me know if I can help.

Edit: 8 3/4 inches from the rear cockpit surround to the top
of the bar (not the center of pipe- the top)
35 inches from the floor to top of pipe
41 inches wide (centerline of pipe to centerline of pipe)
7 1/2 inches for rear struts to rear shelf

It's a tight fit with the top up, both to the top and to the frame sides. I don't think you could go bigger and keep a stock top.

Attachments

• 22114.jpg
    22114.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 819
Country flag
There is a guy (Rod?) over at Spritespot.com that has a custom top to go over a taller Rollover bar.

Gundy

Luke Skywalker
here's a pic with some passengers so you can see how short the bar height must be to clear a original top.
It's better than nothing but at 6 feet tall my forehead
is higher than the windshield. Still it's better than nothing in my book. That windshield will fold like a cheap suit if she goes over.
Defensive driving is ALWAYS the best defense against injury.
I figure if I got the time...instinctive ducking is in order.
Hope this helps.

Attachments

• 22115.jpg
    22115.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 860

jgrewe

Great, thanks guys. I'm going to get out the measuring tape tonight and see where the dimensions get me. My first thoughts for the custom bar are to start it out as wide as I can and bring it in at an angle like the windshield posts as viewed from the rear. With a few little removable add on's I think I can support a custom top to look like a stock top from the outside. Everything I've done to the car so far can be undone, all this stuff could be part of the bar and leave the chassis unmolested.