• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Aluminized heat barrier cloth

AUSMHLY

Obi Wan
Country flag
Should I be concerned about putting an aluminized heat barrier cloth under the heat sheild?

Here is a link to this product:

https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/ProductSelection.asp?Product=1828

Reason for asking? Keoke, you mentioned about not using a metal nut as a spacer for the heat sheild. (By the way, I got some Hardibacker from Home Depot today to use).

My thinking is that you can never have too much help tring to keep the area cool. What heat gets by the sheild, should be refected away by the heat sheild cloth?

What's your take on that? Thank you, Roger

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
ASMH2, I do not use that particular product their #1832 seems a better choice.The Idea here is to put as much heat lossy material between you and the heat source as is practicle. Look in the archives a number of products have been identified in the past.---Keoke

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/savewave.gif

Hi ED, Welcome to the forum. How did this product perform in your car.?---Keoke

Ed_K

Jedi Knight
Hi Keoke, I don't know how much it helps yet as I don't have it all the way back together yet. I haven't driven this car since 1971 but I can remember it being hotter than h... in the summer. I am convinced that anything that I can do to insulate from the heat will be worth the time and money. I will let you know how it works once I get it back on the road.

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
HI Patton, having the shinny side facing the heat source will provide the best reflective,Radiated, heat loss which reduces the materials requirement to provide conducted heat loss.some of the materials have shinny surfaces on both sides.--Fwiw---Keoke

GregW

Yoda
Platinum
Country flag
Hey Keoke- I tried to do that with the Dynamat Extreme, but every time I tried to push it down, it just stuck to my hands. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jester.gif

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Well Greg, I guess you should have cleaned your hands before you tried to install the Dynamat. He probably didn't read the instructions---Keoke-- /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Ed_K

Jedi Knight
Patton, Before I bought the thermo tec product, I read some info on one of the many sites that sells the stuff, or perhaps it was on the manufacture's site, I can't remeber. Anyway, they say the product was most efective blocking radiant heat when the aluminum side, ( oposite from self stick side ) , was pointed at the heat source. They also say if you have to mount it on the oposite side of the firewall from the motor then the aluminum side should face
away. It apparently works better in reflecting radiant heat as oposed to being used as an insolator. In any event, if you get the self stick kind, the decision is made for you. Keoke is right, it really depends on the product that you are using. I bought a insulating matt from the same place to go inbetween the floor and the carpet. The real shiny side went down towards the floor, the less shiny side , ( aluminized ? ), went up towards the carpet.