• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Side exhaust heat shield

jcsb

Jedi Trainee
I am planning to use a side exhaust on my rebuild and saw where a few others had used a shield to prevent heat damage. Can someone comment on the effectiveness of this and what they did?
Thanks,
John f78c46b0-07c1-4887-adba-b3c239ba304c-1(1).jpg

healeyblue

Jedi Warrior
Gold
Country flag
I don't have a side exhaust on the BN4 but just the one large rear exit muffler (2 in 2 out), and am using a muffler blanket, from summit racing, cut to fit and wrapped around the entire muffler. I secured it with the stainless zip ties designed for header wrap. I then used 2 inch header wrap and wrapped the entire unit on top of the blanket. I can place my hand on the muffler with the car running and feel the warmth but never get burned. I also have dynamat extreme adhered above the factory style muffler heat shield. The inside of the floor also has dynamat on it and then a layer of jute padding followed by the carpet. I have yet to feel any engine or exhaust heat in the cockpit. Very satisfied with the heat shielding products I used.
Jim

dougie

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
John -

Because my twin side exit 4" oval system extends only 1/2" past the body on my '57 vintage racer, I decided to protect the body with a simple piece of aluminum. I've attached this with rivets which is easily polished after the race weekend. It might not be an issue for a street car, but the 110 racing fuel creates havoc with paint finishes on exit. I've also done extensive heat shielding inside the cockpit and utilized ceramic coatings on the headers and exhaust tubing.
7612444604_b34845e2c7_b.jpg

OP
J

jcsb

Jedi Trainee
Thanks Dougie and Jim for the info on heat shielding. Since this is going to be a summer car only I would like to stay as cool as possible.

John

Healey Nut

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
I have a Stebroe side exit on 64 BJ8 , only have the factory heat shield under the car . I have Dynamat all up the footbox and full length the tunnel . The dynamat ends at the seat rails . Heat is not an issue and the paintwork just gets slightly dirty at the exit point , no paint damage .

This pic is pre-restoration .

OP
J

jcsb

Jedi Trainee
I have a Stebroe side exit on 64 BJ8 , only have the factory heat shield under the car . I have Dynamat all up the footbox and full length the tunnel . The dynamat ends at the seat rails . Heat is not an issue and the paintwork just gets slightly dirty at the exit point , no paint damage .

This pic is pre-restoration .

The no paint damage is what I was most concerned with. I plan to be do pretty much what you did. I figure this is the only time I'm going to have it completely apart (hopefully) so I want to do a good job at it. Marty from Jules was by today to pick the frame superstructure so my plan is to finish the engine while it's gone.

John

HealeyPassion

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
IMG_1553 Small 50.jpg
John,
With all due respect to side exhaust fans.... the question is will you be happy with the noise/volume level? Some people love it and that's great.... I did for a while. I had side exhaust for one year, then rerouted them to just behind the wheel. The difference in cockpit noise/volume when moving them from in front of the rear wheel to behind the rear wheel was significant. Of course, it depends how much you are going to drive the car and how you are going to drive it... but for me it was tons of fun for about half and hour on any given day. FWIW

Steve

dougie

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
I have to agree with Steve. My BN4 doesn't see the public streets as much as it used to, but when it does I start with a good set of ear plugs. Plus, you forgot about having a conversation with any passengers while at speed....

OP
J

jcsb

Jedi Trainee
Well the good part is I'm certainly not against moving it. I had side exhaust on a couple of cars I had in my youth and you tend to forget about those things. I have a house in Santa Fe so it's a summer car only. My wife might have a vote on this later too. Steve, I do like your solution. Did you keep the same muffler setup but just move the outlets to the back?

John

HealeyPassion

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
John,
Yes, same mufflers.... just moved/extended the pipes. It sounds easy if you say if fast. But, with the Putzke Bilstein shock kit and radius control arms it was a bit of a challenge. I'd be happy to share pics of the project if you're interested. It would have been easier to do during the build than a year later. That said, I'm very happy with the change. Still has a great sound, just turned the volume down... it may be a bit deeper tone due to the extra length. At cruising speeds you can now hear the radio or talk.... wife likes it much better.

Cheers,
Steve

Michael Oritt

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
I just had a new muffler/tailpipe custom fit to my 100. Indeed it is a serpentine affair negotiating around the Bilstein and rear anti-roll bar.

A side-outlet exhaust does provide more effective ground clearance by removing the knuckle where the pipes go under the rear axle, and it is way cool to see the flames pop out of the tailpipe on downshifts, not to mention a REAL LOT of sound. I ran a side exhaust for some years and that--plus too many unprotected hours in a diesel boat's engine room--damaged my hearing irreparably.

The most important shield to have for a side-exhaust car is earplugs.

HealeyPassion

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
With a bit of outrigger work and creative pipe bending, we managed to keep the same pipe/ground clearance as the side pipes exits... as I said, easy if you say if fast.:friendly_wink:

OP
J

jcsb

Jedi Trainee
John,
Yes, same mufflers.... just moved/extended the pipes. It sounds easy if you say if fast. But, with the Putzke Bilstein shock kit and radius control arms it was a bit of a challenge. I'd be happy to share pics of the project if you're interested. It would have been easier to do during the build than a year later. That said, I'm very happy with the change. Still has a great sound, just turned the volume down... it may be a bit deeper tone due to the extra length. At cruising speeds you can now hear the radio or talk.... wife likes it much better.

Cheers,
Steve

Steve,
I would appreciate seeing the pictures. I am at a stage where I can make changes without to many problems. I am making an engine run-in stand where I will hook up the mufflers. I'm pretty sure once I hear them I will convinced to change the location to the back.

John

dougie

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
John,

Cheers,
Steve

Happy wife, Happy life. :adoration: