• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

ALANA -- How's that EFI going?

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
Yeah, probably expecting another charge on the credit card statement.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
He's found a house, has limited time to get it ready to move in, wife is about to download... I think his plate is full.

...and he was drinking SODAS the other night.

G

LMAO...

We're closing on the new place on Thursday am. It needs a ton of work in a limited time (before we sell ours), so I've had to concentrate both time and $ on that. SWMBO is getting bigger, so she isn't going to be much use in the renovations - she's more suited to a supervisory position at this point!

Back to our normally scheduled programming - I've installed a crank trigger, thanks to Rick Patton. It took a lot longer than I'd expected - I had to remove more than I'd hoped off the front to get it in; it's bloody tight quarters in there...

I need to rewire the ecu to accept a signal from a VR sensor (by resoldering two jumpers) before it'll work. I'm planning on doing that tomorrow morning while SWMBO is out, and seeing if I can get her fired up again.

Then if that solves my scattered timing issue I'll start tuning the beastie, but I'm desperately short on time for the next month so don't expect too much until the end of June...

OP
R

rooster

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
SWMBO?

I was looking at the fan and extension in relation to the radiator and the only way I could see putting in the crank trigger is to remove the rad and maybe a bunch of other stuff as well.

Anyhow I'll resist the urge to ask all kinds of questions until you are less busy, which will be a while if this is your first kid. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

G

She Who Must Be Obeyed.
Originally from a uk tv show - Rumpole of the Bailey.

I have an electric fan and a fan eliminator kit, so no extension. The crank trigger is mounted to the eliminator just in front of the balancer.

I had to pull the electric fan, loosen the rad a little and remove all the bolts to the engine crossmember to get some wiggle room.

I have a custom manifold on which gave me a ton more room on the passenger side. No way could I have got in with carbs on. The mount goes onto the two bolts in the timing plate cover on the passenger side directly under the water pump.

If you have questions, ask now, or expect to wait a while.

I'm going to be busy as all getout from Thurs am onwards (when we close). I've taken 2 weeks off work to try to get this shack knocked into some semblance of habitability, and doubt I'll be checking much other than which contractors didn't show today. You can bet I'll be checking that quite closely...

OP
R

rooster

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
If you can manage it, don't pay the contractors in advance! Pay them a bit at a time when they've completed an item of work.

Here comes the questions... /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

Which electric fan and elminator kit did you use?

Did you add a fuel return line back to the fuel tank?

Which fuel pump are you using?

Are you using a surge tank?

What fuel injectors are you using?

Are you using a wideband o2 sensor?

Well I think that's enough questions for now!

I am thinking of doing this project in several stages as I get the money, parts and time:

1. Electric fan conversion. Maybe at same time install the timing sensor wheel.

2. Install wideband o2 sensor and meter.

3. Build and test megasquirt. Easy for my since I used to work as an Electronics Technologist.

4. Procure and test fuel injectors (maybe get a couple of sets of injectors and plumbing from junkyard)

5. Convert to full electronic igniton controlled by MS.

6. Build the manifold and pumbing for injectors.

7. Install the manifold ect.

Some where in there I will have to get a mig welder and probably a drill press. I figure it'll take me a couple of years with the amount of time that I get to work on the car and the budget I have to work with.

Anyhow I appreciate the time you are taking to awnser my questions.

/bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/thankyousign.gif

G

Ok, I'll try to answer the questions in the order posed:

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:]Which electric fan and elminator kit did you use?[/QUOTE]

16" Spal. I have a custom aluminum radiator (from Wizard Cooling). They added the mounts when they made it up, so the fan just slots right on. I also had them add a tap for drainage and an extra bung for a thermostat.

The eliminator kit is sold by Rick Patton. Do a web search for his TR6, or if you can't find it I'll give you his email address - send me a pm.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:]Did you add a fuel return line back to the fuel tank?[/QUOTE]

Yes and no - the tank is a custom stainless steel item, which holds about 15 gallons. It's based on a cutdown version of the tank Dan Masters is using in his V8 conversion, and as such fits the stock mounting points. It is internally baffled, has dual connections for takeoff (one at each side) and a top return built in. It also came with a brand new sender. The price was incredibly reasonable - if you have to replace your tank for any reason, I strongly recommend you go this way. I can give you the name of the guy who did it if needed.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:]Which fuel pump are you using?[/QUOTE]
Aeromotive Tsunami. Mounted on the floor in the spare tire well, with the filters located on either side. This is massively oversized for regular fuel injection. See Rick Pattons site (if you find it) for the part number of a $100 Napa pump that will do just as well.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:]Are you using a surge tank?[/QUOTE]
No - the tank is baffled internally.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:]What fuel injectors are you using?[/QUOTE]
Ford Motorsport 24lb. Summit and Jegs have as good a price as anywhere. (I swapped out the 42lb green tops when I decided to try n/a efi instead of the s/c, and it helped make the pulsewidths a little more reasonable)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:]Are you using a wideband o2 sensor?[/QUOTE]
Yes - the Innovate LC1. I have a bung welded into the exhaust for it. Use the brown wire to the MS - this took me a while to get right, so it is worth mentioning. https://www.diyautotune.com are as good as anywhere to get it (I also bought the MS from them - Matt is a real nice guy to deal with.

Hope this helps - don't be shy if anything else occurs to you.

G

One other thing that will save you some time and a LOT of effort.

If you are intending to go to electronic ignition, then unless you want to go full sequential (in which case you'll need 5 extra VB521s to drive the coil), EDIS is by far the easiest way to go with the MS. I wish I'd done this.

You can get the components from a junkyard for pocket change. Your only problem will be getting a 36.1 wheel big enough to go over the TR's damper. If you can't find one GET ONE MADE. It is well worth the investment.

EDIS truly is the way forward with this install. You can run in limp home mode (without even needing to install the MS) to test functionality, and the interface with the MS is a breeze to wire.

Like I said above, if I were doing it again, knowing what I know now, I'd do this in a heartbeat. Everything else is custom and a pita to implement. I'm trying to get the 60.2 I have to work, and it's giving me fits.

OP
R

rooster

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Yup, I'm going to go the EDIS route. Only difficulty is the sensor wheel. I hear that one from an econoline can be welded on to the fan spacer. I was thinking of using something off the distributor but then there is probably a lot of wear and tear on that, so triggering off the crank is probably the best way to go.

I think I'll stick with the stock rad for now. It should do ok in traffic with an electric fan.

Now that I think of it what are you using for throttle controll? Is it a cable link to the gas pedal?

G

cable link to the stock pedal actuator - I'm using a cutdown version of the ratco linkage.

wrt the edis. get a bigger wheel - there is a site online where the guy made his own with a drill press if all else fails. Weld it to the eliminator kit and have it close to the hb as possible.

Look at Paul Teglers site for ideas. It's a gt6 but it'll give you a feel for stuff.

https://www.teglerizer.com/fi/GT6_manifold/ms_gt6_manifold_completed.html#fullassembly

OP
R

rooster

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
That's a great site. Lots of good links there too. I like the one about how to fab your own fuel plenum, and rail.

I'm finding Lee's site to be quite inspirational /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

Cheers

G

Yeah - he really got his car whipped into shape. Those carbon hoses look awesome...